PDA

View Full Version : Rotorheads from all over the world, support the PHI pilots!

northseaspray
26th Sep 2006, 07:47
As a pilot from another continent, watching this conflict from a distance, I want to voice my full support to the brave PHI pilots and the Local 108, they are virtually standing the ground for all of us.

It is vital to the whole industry, that this dispute ends up with a favorable solution that secures improvements on terms and conditions for the years to come, the outcome will certainly have worldwide effects.

If financial support is of any interest, I'll be more than happy to make a contribution, and I would consider that as a very good investment in my own future in this business.

crop duster
26th Sep 2006, 16:14
I, for one, am very conservative and have never been a fan of unions. I've watched how some unions have hurt particular industries and how they protect some employees that are so lazy or incompetent that without the union they would be sent down the road. But, the situation in the GOM is different and I am behind you guys 100%.
I worked offshore several years ago during my off-season, the winter, and loved it out there. For me it was a break from farming & ag-aviation. I worked two winters with one of the smaller companys and our pay was inline with PHI and Airlog. The comparison stops there though. Everyone else that rode in the bird with me made more money and had little or no education past high school. Now if that sounds resentful it's not my intent. In fact I've encouraged several young people to go offshore and work because of the pay and especially the off time. My point is simply that pilots should make a respectable living considering what we do.
Many of you pilots that are just starting out are probably foaming at the mouth in anticipation of PHI hiring a bunch of low time pilots to fill the gap; but, beware that this strike affects you too. True, you may end up in the cockpit sooner than you would have other wise; but, that may not be in your best interest. Think back about how much you thought you knew when you had 100 hours and compare that to how confident you are now with 500 hours. Believe me, another 500 hours is a big step when building experience and the GOM is not a friendly place to learn with winter time coming up.
I know, I know. I'm ranting. Really all I wanted to say is I support you guys and thanks for what you are doing for all of us.
barryb

northseaspray
28th Sep 2006, 09:21
The local 108 now has their Financial Assistance Fund up and running, how to make a donation is described on their website:

http://local108pilots.org/