PDA

View Full Version : RAF uniform pt 2

stickmonkeytamer
25th Sep 2006, 20:47
Having seen now "good" people look in DPMs (RAF uniform pt 1!!!), is it not time to convert everyone not in the growbag into DPMs. Why do we need blue uniform anymore (except for Orderly Officer). If we got rid of the need for it, the RAF could save a fortune! Keep what is needed for Number 1s, then get rid of the rest of the inventory. With Jointry being what it has become and ops taking up more and more time, please discuss... Someone high enough up the chain to make a difference may be listening...

PS, if this works- it is my GEMS!!!!

SMT

Sven Sixtoo
25th Sep 2006, 20:57
See RAF Uniform post#28

mutleyfour
25th Sep 2006, 21:06
I dont know how or indeed why but CS95 is supposedly quite expensive. So much so that non operational components of the Army have returned to working dress ala Lightweights, shirt and jumper again.

I think what I'm trying to say is that whilst CS95 might appear to look cheaper than RAF blues it probably isnt.

NoseGunner
25th Sep 2006, 21:16
Personally I think that RAF blues is the worst uniform, in so many ways, that I have ever come across.

However I'm sure other PPRuNers have seen worse - any other nominations for worst ever (photos get bonus points)?:}

mutleyfour
25th Sep 2006, 21:21
havent a picture but a chap from the Indian Air Force on my FSO course was wearing RAF Battle Dress that must have been WW2 surplus. When it rained I asked him if he had a coat, No he replied as coats were not issued.

Avtur
25th Sep 2006, 21:29
Whatever the fashion: blues for office time, flying suits for flying (Except EGXW AWC when worn on Mon and Fri only to pretend that they look E3-D- operational) and CS 95 for playing in the rockery. What could be more simple?

RAF uniform is not; always will be, but should be.

movadinkampa747
25th Sep 2006, 21:36
Do we really need two threads on the glorious RAF uniform?

SirToppamHat
25th Sep 2006, 21:42
My only objection to blues is that I have to pay to wear them. The reluctance of some officers to do this sufficiently frequently means we don't always look as we should!

Personally I far prefer to wear blues; I find them perfectly adequate in the environments I work (ops room/office) and I think mutleyfour is probably close to the truth regarding cost of CS95. The only snag I ever had with No2 itself s requirement to go long-sleeved with ties in the winter and someone high-up saw sense.

Fundamentally, though, if I'd wanted to wear greens/DPM/Dark Blue all the time I would have joined one of the other Services. Surely this was one thing we in the junior Service ALL knew before we joined the RAF? So why all the unhappiness now?

Just one thing before I get my coat, the British Army has many more 'uniforms' than the RAF; just think of all the different regiments for starters!

STH

Safety_Helmut
25th Sep 2006, 21:54
I believe CS95 works out very expensive compared to our blue uniform/army barrack dress. It's not just that CS95 is made from quite expensive material, I believe it also doesn't wear very well. Think how cheap our blue uniform must be to procure, and how long it lasts.

Besides, why would we want to look like the army ?

S_H