PDA

View Full Version : RT brush up

Hour Builder
24th Sep 2006, 11:00
Afternoon people
Does anyone know of any websites I can go to to listen (which may include videos) of pilots both private and professional using the Radio?
HB

crap pilot
24th Sep 2006, 12:32
Sorry i cant help you with regard to websites but if you want to improve your RT why not try flying with more experienced pilots? This helped me and once i had realised that it is not something to be worried about it seems very simple. Im sure there must be somebody from you neck of the woods on the spare seats thread.

Hour Builder
24th Sep 2006, 13:17
Thanks, have now posted a request there :ok:

BRL
24th Sep 2006, 13:38
Google is your friend............. (http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=live+atc&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

Whopity
24th Sep 2006, 16:46
Oxford Air Training (OATS Media) make a very good CD Rom Package.

nadders
24th Sep 2006, 20:11
Visit this website. The link is to an 'Overheard ATC conversations' section. Quite amusing. The rest of the site might be half decent aswell.

www.4vfr.com/?goto=atc_overheard&section=atc (http://www.4vfr.com/?goto=atc_overheard&section=atc) :} :} :}

Nadders .

tiggermoth
24th Sep 2006, 21:24
You may want to purchase a small receiver that picks up the Airband. If you live within (about) 10miles from an airfield or airport then you should be able to hear both sides of the conversation, or failing that if you live a little further away then you'll atleast be able to hear the pilot calls.

I got a double CD from the pilot warehouse and found it really poor. The same chap is doing the commentary, the air traffic voice and the pilots voice. It's so dull. It's ideal if you want to nod off - I almost did after listening to it in the car. To make matters worse, each CD is just one track, so you cannot go back and forth to sections of the CD without pressing the fast forward through all 60 minutes...

I've just been on a Radiotelephony course with Malcolm Dobson. He's an absolute star. I notice that you are down south though, but he's based in the North West.

If you can get yourself on some ground school course for RT then I can thoroughly recommend it. You can then get through any RT mistakes infront of others and then get over any embarrasment that you would otherwise have. Malcolm's course was a two day one, done over two weekends, the theory exam done on the second day and a seperate slot for the RT practical - there should be similar courses run nearer to you (especially with the winter months coming up).

Tiggermoth