PDA

View Full Version : HKG ATCO's not getting enough rest

uncle4
23rd Sep 2006, 18:29
:sad: :sad: :sad:
Due poor management, many people not getting leave ... Is this good for the system ....? I dont think so - NO LEAVE means low morale, which mean fatigue ... and then, sacrifice safety. Yes, the safety in HK is jeopardized. This is true. The so called 'leave booking' system (ie leave 10 days or more) is USELESS - no leave anyway when booked. Excuse from management ' DUE ACUTE STAFF SHORTAGE ' ... ha ha ha:D :D :D
Why? The guy taking care of roster is rubbish ... people working long shifts and consequetively ... with little rest.

My plans to have a nice holiday in Europe cancelled because I didn't get my BOOKED leave ... how unfair, very dissappointed ... haven't taken leave for more than 6 months ... my friends tell me to call sick, maybe thats the only why??? Everyone else does it....
Just cause we can save leave and expats have to use up leave in 1 year doesn't mean we sacrifice ......:\ :\

Do you agree???:= := :=

Cain and Abel
24th Sep 2006, 18:53
HEAR! HEAR!

As for the management, there are two good quotes which describe best what it is right now:

"Everybody's for itself and God's for us all."
Why should management care about us operational staff? As long as they put up the roster which looks nice and all the blanks filled. Who the :mad: cares how hard we people are working out there?

"They may see and see, yet not see. They may listen and listen, yet not understand." LORD please forgive me quoting a phrase You said in the New Testament.
Many operational staff had been, and still are giving suggestions to improve the working environment in all aspects. Yet how many times does our management ever listen? They might be paying lip's service , (Thanks goodness it's not oral which i'll throw up just merely thinking about it!) and said they'll think about it, but have they ever put any of those into execution? NOT EVEN ONCE!!

I'm getting frustrated to the extent that the satisfaction of the job itself could no longer compensate.... I'm seriously thinking about leaving.....

Mr. Bloggs
25th Sep 2006, 01:17
I guess we will see less directs and be asked to slow down at the FIR boundaries. Can’t help the needed increase in movements at HKIA. RBTL’s

tolosweetpea
26th Sep 2006, 01:34
Due poor management, many people not getting leave ... Is this good for the system ....? I dont think so - NO LEAVE means low morale, which mean fatigue ... and then, sacrifice safety. .....

Just cause we can save leave and expats have to use up leave in 1 year doesn't mean we sacrifice ......:\ :\

what makes you think that expats get their leave? - some have collected vacation leave over the years because they could not get leave - have a look at the leave plan and see how many get leave on the APP stream alone - not many. The leave issue affects all at HK no matter what terms. I agree that permanent terms have been treat very badly.

This problem from years ago - it will only get worse. Our past training boss now our ops boss - he will have to cope with his failure to manage training and provide enough ATC for our ops now:hmm:

throw a dyce
27th Sep 2006, 00:24
I had an ''Exchange'' with DWONG some time ago,and said that they are heading down the road of distruction.Why? Because it happened at my old unit 10 years ago,and it's happening again both in HK and here.
As the other threads on the subject state,there is a great need for bums on seats quickly.Expats again? Well the localisation policy seems to have hicuped somewhat.
I hope it is solved quickly before some poor sod has a serious incident and ends up as a scapegoat.
Norman.:ugh: This is the travelling publics lives at stake,and not some half ass civil service point proving exercise.:=

uncle4
27th Sep 2006, 12:54
I had an ''Exchange'' with DWONG some time ago,and said that they are heading down the road of distruction.Why? Because it happened at my old unit 10 years ago,and it's happening again both in HK and here.
As the other threads on the subject state,there is a great need for bums on seats quickly.Expats again? Well the localisation policy seems to have hicuped somewhat.
I hope it is solved quickly before some poor sod has a serious incident and ends up as a scapegoat.
Norman.:ugh: This is the travelling publics lives at stake,and not some half ass civil service point proving exercise.:=

:D :D
Ha Ha Ha. With TIRED Tower controllers trying RRSM! with super Approach controllers trying the minimum separation. what do we get???
A SERIOUS INCIDENT ...:hmm: :hmm:

Good luck Management!!! All you NEED to do is sit your office, tye your shoelace when you heard something ... go out to the pantry when you see something happen .... Thats all you need to do ... 'everything will be alright' :ok: :ok:

6HKATC9
28th Sep 2006, 17:32
Due poor management, many people not getting leave ... Is this good for the system ....? I dont think so - NO LEAVE means low morale, which mean fatigue ... and then, sacrifice safety. Yes, the safety in HK is jeopardized. This is true. The so called 'leave booking' system (ie leave 10 days or more) is USELESS - no leave anyway when booked. Excuse from management ' DUE ACUTE STAFF SHORTAGE ' ... ha ha ha:D :D :D
Why? The guy taking care of roster is rubbish ... people working long shifts and consequetively ... with little rest.

My plans to have a nice holiday in Europe cancelled because I didn't get my BOOKED leave ... how unfair, very dissappointed ... haven't taken leave for more than 6 months ... my friends tell me to call sick, maybe thats the only why??? Everyone else does it....

What? Never heard of "DUE ACUTE STAFF SHORTAGE", but this "ACUTE ROTTEN MANAGEMENT". Want to know in detail, come to this big family, let The_Brother_4 and WongMo brainstorm you!

uncle4
29th Sep 2006, 16:18
Quote: Cain and Abel - "I'm getting frustrated to the extent that the satisfaction of the job itself could no longer compensate.... I'm seriously thinking about leaving....."

Many, many, sickies the past few day.
3 early shift call in sick for Tower Stream and 1 for Approach stream ...:rolleyes:

Wa, maybe it's the FRUSTRATION. :D :D :D

No satisfaction, no work .... ha ha ha:)

uncle4
29th Sep 2006, 16:22
Quote: Cain and Abel - "I'm getting frustrated to the extent that the satisfaction of the job itself could no longer compensate.... I'm seriously thinking about leaving....."

Many, many, sickies the past few day.
3 early shift call in sick for Tower Stream and 1 for Approach stream ...:rolleyes:

Wa, maybe it's the FRUSTRATION. :D :D :D

No satisfaction, no work .... ha ha ha:)

3 early shift Tower and 1 Approach .... Just today 4 in the morning. i heard 5 sickies 2 day ago .....:D :ok:

kim iop
30th Sep 2006, 15:03
Uncle 4 is right.

I am still wait for my first course.(more than 3 years) I want tower and this chief said he will think about it (arrogant look):{ . Rubbish dept. I am look for job now.:bored:

This association force me to join. but no benefit.:{ poor work condition. :{ what can I do?:{ :{ :(

SuzieWong
1st Oct 2006, 02:17
I guess we will see less directs and be asked to slow down at the FIR boundaries. Can’t help the needed increase in movements at HKIA. RBTL’s

Corrrrrrrect.

As my colleage say on another thread:

1997 pay <> 2007 traffic :=

uncle4
1st Oct 2006, 12:05
Corrrrrrrect.

As my colleage say on another thread:

1997 pay <> 2007 traffic :=

AGREE ... no good!:= :=

My friend told me, they make her work day 8 and 9 several times .... 5 day work, 1 day off and 5 again ... how unfair
poor rostering:ugh: :ugh:

throw a dyce
1st Oct 2006, 15:31
AGREE ... no good!:= :=
My friend told me, they make her work day 8 and 9 several times .... 5 day work, 1 day off and 5 again ... how unfair
poor rostering:ugh: :ugh:
Punishment roster.Highly illegal in the UK.you know what the answer is.:}

flyingace
2nd Oct 2006, 11:17
Reading from you guys, the conditions must be really bad now. I always thought the ATCX resembles a prison. Glad that I am out of there and not dumb enough to join the association.

CCA102
4th Oct 2006, 12:14
HEAR! HEAR!

As for the management, there are two good quotes which describe best what it is right now:

"Everybody's for itself and God's for us all."
Why should management care about us operational staff? As long as they put up the roster which looks nice and all the blanks filled. Who the :mad: cares how hard we people are working out there?

"They may see and see, yet not see. They may listen and listen, yet not understand." LORD please forgive me quoting a phrase You said in the New Testament.
Many operational staff had been, and still are giving suggestions to improve the working environment in all aspects. Yet how many times does our management ever listen? They might be paying lip's service , (Thanks goodness it's not oral which i'll throw up just merely thinking about it!) and said they'll think about it, but have they ever put any of those into execution? NOT EVEN ONCE!!

I'm getting frustrated to the extent that the satisfaction of the job itself could no longer compensate.... I'm seriously thinking about leaving.....
Please stay :\

Cain and Abel
4th Oct 2006, 16:54
Please stay :\

I'd love to my dear, but it all depends, seeing how situation develops here really makes one wonder whether it's worthwhile or not. I'm not a greedy chap as i'm only asking for improvement in an overall aspect (not greedy, eh?:hmm: ), is it too much to ask for?

CCA102
5th Oct 2006, 18:06
Uncle 4 is right.

I am still wait for my first course.(more than 3 years) I want tower and this chief said he will think about it (arrogant look):{ . Rubbish dept. I am look for job now.:bored:

This association force me to join. but no benefit.:{ poor work condition. :{ what can I do?:{ :{ :(

:confused: What! The Association force you to join? I have been here long enough, never heard of that! What kind of force did they use an on you?
I think it is the Ex-com's onus to "invite" people to join but just there are some people who need a bit more explanation to get them understand what we are, no gun; if you feel uncomfortable from that, just say "No, thanks!" or tell us to f :mad: k off.

For benefit, yes, this Association is very poor. We only charge members a little annual membership fee based on their rank. I believe if there are free returned tickets, say from HKG to UK each year, people will queue up (from ATCX to Tsimshatsui) to join. :D

ATCX
7th Oct 2006, 04:31

See what you are having now!

I "want" tower (arrogant demand).

The only thing I agree with you is that you are looking a job! Leave ASAP, otherwise, you are sooner or later one of the trouble-makers here! F:mad: off!

Cain and Abel
7th Oct 2006, 14:21

The only thing I agree with you is that you are looking a job! Leave ASAP, otherwise, you are sooner or later one of the trouble-makers here! F:mad: off!

Who the F:mad: are you? F:mad: off! Do you understand the real problems those young SATCOs are going through? Nah, i bet you don't have a slight f:mad: ing clue, F:mad: ing P:mad: k!!

Come to think of how many years they've been carrying out ATFSOs duties and they are on contract terms!! Should the previous CTE planned better and put an effort in seeing what's happening out in the real world outside( He's still living in his own good ol' 80's when you can combine all sectors at 6p.m. and start chatting and/or playing cards...), he'll understand that putting up a combined TR/ER course for SATCOs as their first rating is not going to work!

Let's see, how about the last batch of ER/TR course students did? I couldn't come across it in my mind that any of them got their rating in anything less than 6 months! Some of them even spent more than a year! Why? They LACK EXPERIENCE for Christ's sake! You should be thankful that since they've all got their tower rating already, otherwise i'm a 100% sure when you put them on their TR OJT on day 1, they'll be struck dumb!

You've already got your promotion as an ATCOII (or above) i must presume, otherwise i won't think you'd be so F:mad: ing c:mad: sure! Try to put yourself into their shoes! If i were the SATCOs these days, i would've quitted this job if i couldn't get my OJT started after the 3rd year! Do you think it's really very funny to train on radar when you're above 30? I don't think so.....

I don't know who you are or what you are thinking about a:mad: hole, but please try to bear this in mind (if you've got one?), everyone's not having a good time these days, so if you might bear with them (SATCOs) a little bit more than you can bear with me. Or otherwise when i see your message here next time, you'll be getting a whole lot more of these F:mad: words than youi do this time!

P.S. Don't ever think you are the only one who know how to use the F word my friend!!

wtr
7th Oct 2006, 17:13

Are you SURE about that???
Stop calling people 'trouble makers'. := := := As if you're not one of us!!!

Do you know what these Forums are for???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: