PDA

View Full Version : Importing a helicopter from USA

bvgs
23rd Sep 2006, 08:11
Can anyone give me advice on the best way to get an R44 from USA to the UK. I understand the Trust requirements etc when it gets here but wondered if there was any easy route. I'm sure this must have been asked before so directions to any threads would be appreciated. Finally if you import it do you still pay the VAT on import? Reason for the question is that its technically owned by an American via the trust. Any pointers would be great. Thanks

B Sousa
23rd Sep 2006, 14:07
"Finally if you import it do you still pay the VAT on import?"

Who would ever have suspected someone from Scotland trying to save a penny.......
ha ha

Why dont you contact the factory on that subject. I know many Robbies get ferried all over the place and Im sure that someone could give you some straight advice.
www.robinsonheli.com

bvgs
23rd Sep 2006, 16:04
Must have cheap R44's in Vegas if the VAT only amounted to a penny. Perhaps I should look there and find one. I have a VAT registered company so the financials don't matter whether it has or hasn't to be paid, I just thought it might be easier when it arrives in terms of paperwork and admin that was all. Must shoot, just dropped a penny and wouldn't like the grandchildren to find it be fore me!

206 jock
23rd Sep 2006, 16:52
I have a VAT registered company so the financials don't matter whether it has or hasn't to be paid!

Ahh, but you will have to worry about it. As soon as the thought police find that you have a helicopter, they are all over you like a rash. Unless you prove that you either intend it as a serious proposition (eg for charter or training work) or as an integral part of your business (ie no pleasure flights at weekends), then they'll make you pay the VAT...registered business or not.

The green eyed monster is alive and well in the UK.

007helicopter
23rd Sep 2006, 18:23
Hi - I imported a Hiller 2 years ago and paid VAT & Import Duty, I can not remeber the exact import duty but would guess it was 2 or 3% on top of VAT.

No real big deal about paperwork. we took the blades off and put it in a 40ft shipping container which as I recall was about £1500 for the container to Thamesport.

I sure there are other ways, probablty more effecient but it worked fine for me.

I have kept in N registered which suits at the moment until the fun police at the CAA change the whole situation.

Duncan

scooter boy
23rd Sep 2006, 22:35
2 ways you can do it:

1. Pay the VAT - then reclaim it through the VAT registered parent company. You need to pay VAT by the hour in this case rather than as 1 lump sum. I have 2 aircraft owned by the same UK based VAT registered partnership (one G and one N-reg) and rent the aircraft to myself and just pay the VAT on the hourly rate. (Saved £90k on both A/C) but accountancy costs rack up as does the VAT.

2. Use a dodgy Danish brief. Import the A/C through Denmark and pay a fat cat Danish Lawyer (not much) less than you would the VAT man (was looking like £20k per A/C) for shuffling a few papers. The job's a good' un if you can get it.
There has never been a test case as far as I know to confirm safety of this option and I went for option 1.
Also I could not bring myself to hand over such a large sum of money to some blokes who were simply filling in paperwork - it just did not seem right, so I paid the VAT, reclaimed it and now rent back to myself.

Either way you need a document to say that EU VAT has been paid on the A/C especially if you are N-reg and especially if you visit certain French airfields.

With the dollar rate at 1.9 or so you really can't go wrong either way. I would buy the dollars now and do the deal with the US based manufacturer yourself - you do not need a finance house or broker to buy the currency - you can get the finance in the UK and then convert it when the rate is most favourable:ok: .

Cut out the middlemen.

SB

nouseforaname
24th Sep 2006, 18:36
I imported a helicopter just this month from Florida to Denmark in a crate, got it assembled there and flew it back to England. No VAT. No questions (yet) either....

The Denmark VAT thing is very good, I have used it twice now with no implications, saved a fortune.

PM me if you want shipping and Danish contact details.TD