PDA

View Full Version : Air to Air Tanking Vid

fantaman
23rd Sep 2006, 00:33
Air to air tanking from a VC-10 inc Typhoon's and F3's :ok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Abni4SPRE

BEagle
23rd Sep 2006, 04:07
'This is there story'....... Sums up how amateur the whole thing is. What 'story', by the way?

Very weak. A few unconnected clips and a few low grade stills. Virtually no air-to-air refuelling.....hardly any Typhoon shots.

And as for 'copyright'....?? I'm sure that the Crown Copyright people would have a view about that. As would the inevitable pop musician wailing along during the video itself......

scitzo legman
23rd Sep 2006, 07:15
At least he tried to post something CONSTRUCTIVE on here. Strikes me that there's a lot of people on here just looking to pick on anything that doesn't meet with their approval. Go kick your dog or your wife or something Beagle. Cyber bully:mad: Although, judging by your time of post, I guess your away from home and maybe a little tense??

I enjoyed your post Fantaman. Maybe Beagle can come up with an oscar contender for us to all drool over?

BEagle
23rd Sep 2006, 07:22
No - up early due to other reasons. But thanks for asking.

Sorry, but this is a very inferior production. It is mutton dressed as lamb and to claim 'copyright' is a farce.

buoy15
23rd Sep 2006, 07:27
Yawn!!!:bored:

speeddial
23rd Sep 2006, 07:40
So when hundreds of others and myself have taken photos of AAR on VC-10 the copyright belongs to the Crown? Even if it does no ones ever battered an eye lid at the photos being sold or published.

Colonal Mustard
23rd Sep 2006, 07:56
Sorry, but this is a very inferior production. It is mutton dressed as lamb

Have to agree with Beagle, very poor..... just my opinion though

fantaman
23rd Sep 2006, 08:26
I didn't profess to being a professional video maker, this is only the second video I have made. As for the quality, youtube.com only allows a max file size of 10MB, the actual high quality file size is around 8900MB and therefore is much better.

As for the "low quality" stills, again this is due to the file size allowed by youtube.com. The lad who takes them is regularly comissioned by the RAF and RN to supply shots to them and produced the Jaguar retirement poster for RAF Coltishall.

But thanks for your comments :ugh:

Colonal Mustard
23rd Sep 2006, 09:08
I had this discussion a while ago about what constituted a good soundtrack to an aviation video, well i found a vid that apart from the fact its about flight simulator this i think is perfectly suited to the soundtrack

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2019680190169274805

SirToppamHat
23rd Sep 2006, 09:45
fantaman

Nice try, thanks for your efforts - your comments about the limitations of 'youtube' shed much light on the reasons for the poor quality.

As for the soundtrack, my own preference is for the actual comms to be on a video of this type, and if there is to be any music at all it should be staid and in the background.

Colonal Mustard

That is an amazing clip of the chap's home-made flight sim - I wonder how much it all cost to construct and how that compares to a proper one ...;)

STH

Colonal Mustard
23rd Sep 2006, 10:45
1 overhead projector (onto the wall obviously) and arrange for your monitor to display the instrument panel, (how much is an overhead pro...thats the cost)

Art Field
23rd Sep 2006, 13:52
If you have MS Flight Simulator FS9 then that video will seem quite normal. Beats the hell out of some of the current in op kit. Try and do AAR on it though and you will go crazy.

jumpseater
23rd Sep 2006, 21:12
speedial,yup I think the crown does technically own copyright of said vids and stills. Similar occaisions occur in civvy street when some companies have a rule that anything creative done on their time, is their intelectual property. That they've not enforced it is another matter entirely, perhaps no one has yet posted an 'interesting' enough picture/vid yet for them to do anything about it though. Thats not a challenge by the way......

Phil_R
23rd Sep 2006, 21:38
Hi,

> my own preference is for the actual comms to be on a video of this type,

Mine too. It's almost impossible to find material (other than the recently-sold-on-ebay CD) which isn't drowned by some godawful heavy metal. Makes literary research a complete bear.

> anything creative done on their time, is their intelectual property

Often not in the case of photography; I was recently working on a feature film where the gaffer shot a load of stills and managed to sell them to the production company. I think this just comes down to the AOP having better lobbyists on board when the laws were drawn up!

Needless to say, I have no idea what the military rules are regarding this.

Phil

Aynayda Pizaqvick
23rd Sep 2006, 23:22
I had this discussion a while ago about what constituted a good soundtrack to an aviation video, well i found a vid that apart from the fact its about flight simulator this i think is perfectly suited to the soundtrack
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2019680190169274805
I thought he did well with his choice of soundtrack... a good, current song by a British band for a British video. Besides, why the hell were you surfing for flight sim videos!? Geek.

Colonal Mustard
24th Sep 2006, 07:03
Longggggg Story........and Mrs Mustard is looking at me with those evil eyes again:suspect:

Ewan Whosearmy
25th Sep 2006, 16:09
UK and international copyright laws are complex, but as a rule of thumb they state that unless an individual is commissioned to shoot the video/stills, then that person owns the material. Even if he is commissioned to do the work, then the copyright can still be retained - it all depends on the agreement between the two parties.

What is almost certain is that, unless something in writing was agreed with the RAF prior to this shoot, or the RAF made crown copyright a pre-condition to getting the ride, then the rights for this footage are owned by fantaman. Thus, Beagle clearly has no idea about what he speaks, but hey, what's new?

The treasury and MoD are becoming altogether less agreeable about allowing the media and private individuals to depict the RAF roundel (even about use of the words 'Royal Air Force'), so it wouldn't surprise me if they come up with some silly pre-condition for shooting stills/video on such rides as this in the future.

Uncle Ginsters
25th Sep 2006, 19:03
Shame you didn't gramma-check the titling - Ha! This is like ISS online!! :ugh:

Does anyone have a copy of a VC10 video made by the Moustachio'd Scottish 101 Captain circa 2001 in Afghanistan/Muscat? A top piece of work i seem to remember but never did get a copy.

As for the copyright law, ISTR a memo flying around a while back regarding intellectual property rights. If my memory serves me correctly ( as is often NOT the case :E ) it went along the lines of anything produced or taken (in the case of AV material) in the line of work, whilst earning the Queen's Shilling was Crown Copyright. Does anyone else remember such a thing?

Uncle G :)

Ewan Whosearmy
25th Sep 2006, 20:30
Shame you didn't gramma-check the titling, ha this is like ISS online!! :ugh:

How entertaining! One illiterate giving advice to another!

A shame you didn't follow some of your own advice and spell check, old chap: 'gramma', is actually spelt, 'grammar'. Oh, and if you are a grammar aficionado you'd know that a comma was required after your exclamation-less 'ha' and a full stop after 'titling'.

Before dissing other people for elementary mistakes, I recommend you pick up and read a copy of Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

BEagle
25th Sep 2006, 20:42
Is 'dissing' some yoof-speak vernacular term?

The COD lists the verb 'to diss' as US slang:

'to speak or behave rudely to someone or to show them no respect':
Don't diss me, man!

Presumably 'dissing' is the present participle of that verb?

Innit?

Uncle Ginsters
25th Sep 2006, 21:04
Ewan,
I must thank you for your kind and constructive words. I must also, however, insist that you look up "sarcasm" the next time that you have sight of a dictionary. :} Oh, and thanks for spotting the minor typo in there - i must have been a little over-excited at the keyboard again!

Ironically, Eats, Shoots & Leaves is a favourite of mine, old chap ;) The day that text alone can convey sarcastic tone, i will rest very impressed!

If you would like some real grammatical entertainment, can i suggest that you try translating your favourite thread in here (http://www.gizoogle.com)
Uncle G:ok:

Ewan Whosearmy
25th Sep 2006, 21:42
Ewan,
I must thank you for your kind and constructive words. I must also, however, insist that you look up "sarcasm" the next time that you have sight of a dictionary. :} Oh, and thanks for spotting the minor typo in there - i must have been a little over-excited at the keyboard again!
Ironically, Eats, Shoots & Leaves is a favourite of mine, old chap ;) The day that text alone can convey sarcastic tone, i will rest very impressed!
If you would like some real grammatical entertainment, can i suggest that you try translating your favourite thread in here (http://www.gizoogle.com)
Uncle G:ok:

UG

Touche! Sarcasm monitor replaced and new one set to HIGH.

Gizoogle is priceless!

Dr Schlong
26th Sep 2006, 11:03
Does anyone have a copy of a VC10 video made by the Moustachio'd Scottish 101 Captain circa 2001 in Afghanistan/Muscat? A top piece of work i seem to remember but never did get a copy.Uncle G :)
Check your PMs.
How's my grammar? Call "04 Fox Ache" :rolleyes: :p