PDA

View Full Version : Notice To Crew!!???

NO_JOY
22nd Sep 2006, 22:00
Did anyone else find the latest NTC a little $#%* Weird!?

I respect other religions and customs, but this was vague, ambiguous, and, I think, totally out of place.

Loopdeloop
24th Sep 2006, 21:21
I suspect he meant to put "whilst in the Middle East", or at least I hope he did.....otherwise they'll be sacking all those people down the street that I saw eating food in public, displaying a wilful disregard of this latest NTC! :=

Mr. Bloggs
25th Sep 2006, 01:12
My religion is not to have aircraft blown up or flown into buildings I hope they respect that.

You have to be careful not to pi$$ off the Muslims nowadays. Can’t make a comment they are radicals because they will burn your city/embassy and blow up aircraft.

I guess the Pope will be on his knees when he invites the leaders of Muslim countries to the Vatican. Don’t want to upset anyone do we. I guess I’ll meet the Devil after that comment.

tifters
25th Sep 2006, 01:40
I dont know what you guys are on but if you frequent the middle east ports on overnights like we do on the 777, this info is quite relevant. Whilst in their country it is important to be sensitive to their beliefs, eating a burger on the main street in the middle of the day would not win you many friends!!! Most importantly, most the bars will be shut, so very important to get a few beers for the bus, and then some!!!!

MONK
25th Sep 2006, 04:10
Mr Bloggs...

Even though I agree with your statement regarding 9/11.....but i think you should get off your high horse....my religion...and I'm sure its your's and most ppruners....is that....innocent women and children should not be targets of war...like indiscriminately spraying agent orange into villages.....napalm....and how many innocent civilians died when the "the bomb" was dropped?....

Please don't say Muslims are radicals...not all of them are....just like christians....there are some good and some very radicals.....

NO_JOY
25th Sep 2006, 05:12
Hey Tifters

I don't fly to the Middle East. I guess thats what it meant. I was confused, the memo was issued to everyone, based, freighter. It didn't make sense.

ALPHA FLOOR
25th Sep 2006, 05:47
This is going no where and getting ugly fast - where is the moderator when you need him?

AFL

BusyB
25th Sep 2006, 05:57
Grow up guys.

One grammatical error and you feel you need a thread about it!!:ugh:

sizematters
25th Sep 2006, 12:37
Actually the whole ramadan thing is a farce.............respect their religion, anyone with any money gets out for a month, and the rest gorge themselves all night and sleep all day........................Yeah, right, very good for the soul, or whatever................

But the good news is that Inflateable sex dolls are now sold according to religion, they sell a "roman catholic" and a "Muslim" doll..........................However, be warned, the "Muslim" doll is more expensive as it blows itself up !!!

superfrozo
25th Sep 2006, 23:50
:D

FUNNIEST... JOKE... EVER...!!!

Sizematters, thanks for making my day:ok:

Sqwak7700
26th Sep 2006, 10:13
Regardless what religion you are, it was a stupid and inappropriate NTC.

You want to fast?? Catholics fast, Jews fast, Muslims fast. That doesn't mean that you should change the way you live because someone chooses not to eat. That is their choice, what you do should have no bearing on their beliefs.

On top of that, a manager in our company saying that we should be respectful and change our behaviour due to their beliefs is ridiculous. What's next?? Telling people that they should try not to look like they are working on Sundays so that we don't offend any Catholics? Or how about asking the cafeteria not to sell pork products so that our jewish and muslim employees can eat there peacefully. :rolleyes:

Tolerance = Civilized. I go by the "live and let live" moto. I'm not gonna go up to a muslim and force him to eat this month...or any month. Just like I wouldn't force a jew to eat pork. I really hope that this NTC was mis-written and clarification follows.

I for one will not curb my eating & drinking habits for someone else's beliefs. :D

cpdude
26th Sep 2006, 14:26
Regardless what religion you are, it was a stupid and inappropriate NTC.
You want to fast?? Catholics fast, Jews fast, Muslims fast. That doesn't mean that you should change the way you live because someone chooses not to eat. That is their choice, what you do should have no bearing on their beliefs.
On top of that, a manager in our company saying that we should be respectful and change our behaviour due to their beliefs is ridiculous. What's next?? Telling people that they should try not to look like they are working on Sundays so that we don't offend any Catholics? Or how about asking the cafeteria not to sell pork products so that our jewish and muslim employees can eat there peacefully. :rolleyes:
Tolerance = Civilized. I go by the "live and let live" moto. I'm not gonna go up to a muslim and force him to eat this month...or any month. Just like I wouldn't force a jew to eat pork. I really hope that this NTC was mis-written and clarification follows.
I for one will not curb my eating & drinking habits for someone else's beliefs. :D

We hear ya and I don't disagree but let's see you practice that attitude in the Middle East!:eek:

BusyB
26th Sep 2006, 15:16
Sqwak7700,

Good luck to you in the Middle East. With that sort of CRM I don't want you on my crew and I wouldn't want to be on yours.:confused:

BusyB
26th Sep 2006, 15:42
FCUX,

'So quick to jump on someone for stating their opinion'

A very ironic answer in 10 minutes.:D

octanecolt
27th Sep 2006, 09:00
Did anyone else find the latest NTC a little $#%* Weird!?
I respect other religions and customs, but this was vague, ambiguous, and, I think, totally out of place.

Although this notice to crew was a polite reminder to acknowledge and respect cultural and religious practices, and indeed appreciated, even if as said it is a little weird.

What strikes as even more dumbfounding is how a notice such as this manages to make it into Operational Notices, yet other important information such as the practise of now reducting track miles allocated on a Flight Plan with planning the SIERRA 2A arrival with tracking from Sierra direct to Mango goes by with out so much as a mention to the crew that it will affect.

Indeed, what really is considered as important Operational information for crew.....One is left to beg for the asking.

Five Green
27th Sep 2006, 16:27
How about a NTC telling us that they will follow more christian principles by dealing with their employees in a moral manner. Negotiate in good faith. Try to improve our working lives and career oppurtunities. Have a fair and just set of standards for training and upgrade.

That would be something of worth !

cpdude
27th Sep 2006, 18:41
How about a NTC telling us that they will follow more christian principles by dealing with their employees in a moral manner. Negotiate in good faith. Try to improve our working lives and career oppurtunities. Have a fair and just set of standards for training and upgrade.

That would be something of worth !

...if only they were Christian!:)

Sqwak7700
27th Sep 2006, 19:59
Sqwak7700,
Good luck to you in the Middle East. With that sort of CRM I don't want you on my crew and I wouldn't want to be on yours.:confused:

Ah... I'm stating that I would be considerate to someone's beliefs, no matter what they are. That doesn't mean that I would follow them. So why would you say something like that? :ugh:

Good CRM involves listening to what other people are saying to you. Sounds like you might need a little CRM refreshing yourself BusyB :hmm:

I did live in the middle east on a previous life, and have dealt with Ramadan. I found it not an inconvenience. The company I worked for did request understanding and appreciation from us during that time. But, like I said earlier, WE WERE IN THE MIDDLE EAST. BIG difference!

Ramadan is certainly something I would keep in mind if going to a Muslim-majority country. Just in case I was planning on calling a friend of mine to meet me for lunch or breakfast. Better wait for dinner time instead ;)

My point was that Ramadan is not important enough to be considered an NTC. Assuming you fail to recognize this Muslim holiday, at worst you might get dirty looks. It's not like you are breaking a law or serious social moray (as long as you yourself are not a Muslim :rolleyes: ) It is the Muslims that have to observe Ramadan fasting, not the non-Muslims. That is why I am not Muslim...I don't follow the rules of Islam. If I did, I would be Muslim. I respect them just like I do every religion that I don't follow. If it makes you happy, I'm happy for you. :ok:

Ramadan mubarak.

BusyB
28th Sep 2006, 05:49
Sqwak7700,

"I'm stating that I would be considerate to someone's beliefs, no matter what they are."

That didn't really comeover in your first post. Fair enough.

I've lived in the ME as well and as far as a NTC goes I think its a tactful reminder to crew members what happens. Not everyone has lived there or is aware of the ramifications. We've had one FO in the cooler for a couple of hours for upsetting the locals, I just don't want anyone on my crew making a similar mistake.:ok:

Basil
3rd Oct 2006, 01:56
Your manager may have written a NTC which was less than crystal clear so here's what happens during Ramadan IN ISLAMIC COUNTRIES:
1. Don't eat, drink (inc water) or smoke in public between sunrise and sunset.
2. Those countries which have alcohol bars in hotels will usually open for business after sunset.
3. Hotel restaurants will usually be curtained off and available to non-Muslims during daylight. If they aren't you'll have room service.

It is not a good idea at any time of the year to go out wearing shorts or for the girls to go out wearing short sleeves or no sleeves. Even if tolerated (and in Saudi it won't be) it still gives offence and makes life difficult for the ruler who sanctions it.

Qualifications for above advice? 40 years flying to ME and 4 years living there.