PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Rules

VeeAny
22nd Sep 2006, 20:20
I returned this morning to a loca(ish) regional airfield having weather diverted last night.
The controllers, ground handlers and crew last night were fantastic.

This morning however expecting some security hassles to get back on the airfield, there were none. On arrival the security man informed me that at 0700 one of the other security men found one of the aircraft doors open , with nothing apparently missing. Bearing in mind the weather which passed through overnight (pretty crappy) with winds in excess of 35kts on the ground. I enquired expectantly if he had closed the door, NO came the reply, we don't do that, some people would complain if we did. :ugh:

Were do they find the people who come up with these ideas ?

Fine if you don't know how to do it, but the airfield concerned called me at 0910 to find out when i'd be there to move the abandoned helicopter.

Just wanted to rant, rant now over. :mad:

V.

SayItIsntSo
23rd Sep 2006, 00:26
A least you didn’t get arrested for leaving the door unlocked.

Five minutes…that’s all we are allowed on our airfield. If it is left unlocked without a ‘guard’ on it you are in trouble.

And our doors are only ‘pinned on’ not even a nut and bolt. Paranoia reigns supreme.

Do you ever long for the “good old days”?

remote hook
23rd Sep 2006, 00:49
You guys can't be serious...

Thank Uncle Sam I guess...

RH

paco
23rd Sep 2006, 02:27
No, RH, the lunatics have taken over the asylum here. A significant factor in leaving my last job was the security people who insisted on giving us worse security checks than the passengers, when we had already gone through police checks etc., and the unit had been on the airfield for over 34 years.

All this when you can still easily get nasty substances on to any airfield with no trouble at all, and send emails across the world without anyone reading them. Nobody is checking the sea ports.

Hey VNE - managed to beat the Nazis down here and have got Skype working now - will catch u later!

Phil

John Eacott
23rd Sep 2006, 03:16
Guard? Locked? Is that all!!!!

The great God of Security now requires all GA aircraft in Oz to be immobilised when left unattended: technically even on the ramp outside our office :=

Not only immobilised, but in an obvious and visible manner: door locks are not acceptable security. When pointed out to the Law Makers that an awful lot of helicopters (and GA aircraft) in Australia tend to put covers on when it gets up toward 40C, which makes the visible bit a tad hard to comply with, it all became a bit too hard.

Mega$$$$ fines if not complied with, and FedPol wander around every now and then to check up. When was the last time you saw an R22 hijacked for terrorism use? I'm tempted to get this translated and made up for each aircraft :p

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Terroristwarning.jpg

SASless
23rd Sep 2006, 04:19
Why is it the concept of suicide and R-22's seem to go together?;)

VeeAny
23rd Sep 2006, 06:47
It was locked, but aging 109 door locks are about as useful as a chocolate teapot !

paco
23rd Sep 2006, 08:23
I didn't know you could get a Krooklok for helicopters :)

Phil

John Eacott
23rd Sep 2006, 12:23
I didn't know you could get a Krooklok for helicopters :)

Phil

We use bike locks, wrapped around the cyclic and through the pedals :ok:

Seems to satisfy Mr Plod, but They were good enough to send all operators a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to attach to the anti terrorism device. Our taxes at work :eek:

TheFlyingSquirrel
23rd Sep 2006, 12:35
maybe they had some of your software installed V !

:p

Head Turner
25th Sep 2006, 08:12
Sell your R22/44 and buy a R88 which will satisfy the most stupid plod but even more importantly as Mr Plod is only doing his duty, the bureaucrats who are ignorant of the outside world and see everything through apricot tinted glasses are the ones to blame. Eventually they will strangle everything and then confidently blame us. Look at the way they are killing the industries of the west with health and safety measures, as if they really care about people. So, don't worry that you have to do all these stupid things for security reasons....just think what thase bureaucrats would do if they thought that during the time that you fly what you might get up to. They should ground all helicopters, even the air ambulances and police and turn them into environmental paper staples and computer gizmos.
Problem solved!!!!