PDA

View Full Version : How to Get Out Early

chuffchart
22nd Sep 2006, 19:24
I am due to leave the RAF at my 16/22 yr ORD mid 2007. However, it looks likely that I will have a job offer ahead of this date even taking into account resettlement etc. I have heard rumours that there is a way of pulling forward a ORD if you have a job offer but PMA, Pensions Agency, PSF etc are all of no help :ugh:

I could PVR and I am reasonably certain that my management and PMA would let me go early, but this would hit my pension (loose about 3K pa).

Any one know of any way round this?

Thanks

rudekid
24th Sep 2006, 17:53
Have looked at this recently and I am reasonably confident that an official solution doesn't exist.

The only way around it is a local agreement, which in the words of PMA 'they would know nothing about' between you and your boss.

Hope this is of use.

SIT head
24th Sep 2006, 18:17
I hope this doesn't burst your bubble, but I've been in a similar situation myself as well - and despite all the rumours, my investigations showed that 'the cutting of a little slack' when someone is at the end of their time, doesn't actually exist. Do check your PVR pension rate against your ORD rate (takes about ten days to get the gen from Glasgow), there was actually very little difference - certainly not enough to make me want to wait anyway - and if that's the case, that might help you with your dilema. Either way, I hope it comes good for you - because if it doesn't and you're anything like me, then another individual who has done his/her time will leave with a bad after taste, rather than fond memories. Good luck.

chuffchart
24th Sep 2006, 18:37
Thanks - have used the pensions calculator on the intranet but will also get on to Glasgow formally. At the end of the day it all comes down to the quality of the job on offer versus financial penalty and the chance of not getting as good an offer if i stay for a few more months.:bored:

D-IFF_ident
24th Sep 2006, 19:59
A look at the European Social Charter might be worthwhile:

Try:

http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/en/Treaties/Html/163.htm

And look at Part II - Article I, Para 2:

With a view to ensuring the effective exercise of the right to work, the Parties undertake: to protect effectively the right of the worker to earn his living in an occupation freely entered upon;

It could be argued that a full PVR term, rather than, say, a month's notice, is 'enforced labour'.

Just a thought.

movadinkampa747
24th Sep 2006, 20:25
Why dont you just do your time as per your contract. You want to leave early so you have to take the hit on your pension. Stop moaning and face upto it.............................:ugh:

danieloakworth
24th Sep 2006, 20:37
Don't think there is an easy way. There may be some latitude if you are on a station, as opposed to a HQ, I know of people who did 'local deals' and got away a couple of months early.

rudolf
24th Sep 2006, 20:40
I managed to take 3 months unpaid leave, this was agreed at station level. Your post would be gapped and you need the approval of your boss and the CO. I was initially told no, then I pointed out that I wouldn't be much use for those 3 months, the stress levels of losing out on a firm job offer would leave me incapable of concentrating on flying. I also asked my boss how he would feel if he was in my shoes.

The regs are in one of the admin APs, I found the link on the intranet. The only other gotcha is that those 3 months don't count towards your pension, however, I had completed sixteen years post 21 already.

Rudolf

Ops_Monkey
25th Sep 2006, 09:56
I know of at least 7 people who have left with 4 weeks notice.
Attach a copy of your confirmed offer of job contract to your PVR paperwork and legaly they can't stand in your way..
Also had this backed up by people who work in PSF, or HR or whatever its called now

chuffchart
25th Sep 2006, 15:37
movadinkampa747: "stop moaning and face upto it..." - Im not moaning - I'm just in the last year of 20 years in the RAF and looking after number 1 - why loose out on pension if you dont need to! By the way - what contract?

Thanks to all the other replies - very useful.

Aeronut
26th Sep 2006, 07:58
I am due to leave the RAF at my 16/22 yr ORD mid 2007. However, it looks likely that I will have a job offer ahead of this date even taking into account resettlement etc. I have heard rumours that there is a way of pulling forward a ORD if you have a job offer but PMA, Pensions Agency, PSF etc are all of no help :ugh:
I could PVR and I am reasonably certain that my management and PMA would let me go early, but this would hit my pension (loose about 3K pa).
Any one know of any way round this?
Thanks

Hang on, if you leave before your 16/38 point you don't get an immediate pension do you? Whats a 16/22 point?

BEagle
26th Sep 2006, 08:55
How to Get Out Early?

Crap in the AOC's hat. That should do the trick!

Might bugger your pension though.....

The Gorilla
26th Sep 2006, 09:33
Ops Monkey wrote..Attach a copy of your confirmed offer of job contract to your PVR paperwork and legaly they can't stand in your way..

Legally they may not be able to stand in your way BUT
the MOD/RAF can do what they want because they firmly believe they are above any law of the land. You are not playing on a level playing field when you deal with them. :=

The second paragraph is a quote from my employment solicitor, who had much experience of that when he assisted pregnant women who were dismissed to heaps of compensation!

I got out from PVR date to working for a new company in under four months. You have to get your Squadron/Flight/Section on side first, they must agree to gap your post for however long a replacement will take. Then you have to grease up your Desk Officer because he is the one who has to present your case to 1* star level. Write a formal letter stating your pleadings as to why you need to go at this point, keep it humble in that 1955 I am your obedient serpent cr*p etc and then attach it to your PVR paperwork. Finally accept with good grace any financial losses such as flying pay and pension, it really is worth it to be free!
:D

Wizzard
26th Sep 2006, 10:17
In my experience, if you PVR to a decent job - ie a good employer - you should easily make up the 3 grand or so pension over the remaining years of your civilian employment. I have more than trebled my service pension in just under 20 years.

Good luck

Wiz

Number2
26th Sep 2006, 11:05
I was so lucky, my Wg Cdr let me start work for my new company 4 months before I was due to leave. He realised it was too good an opportunity to miss and I'd done more than enough time in the Service. I subsequently took a huge hit in tax at the end of the year however. :(

Have you got an approachable boss?

chuffchart
26th Sep 2006, 19:38
Aeronut: was a typo - should read 16/38

Wizzard: thanks - my thoughts exactly - dont want to miss a cracking opportunity.

Number2: Sometimes approachable sometimes not!

Thanks again for all the replies

vecvechookattack
26th Sep 2006, 22:38
You shouldnt have a problem leaving early as many people have done it. You may have a problem leaving early and expecting to collect the full waonga you would have received if you had stayed in to complete your tour. Why do you feel that you should be allowed to leave early AND collect your money as if you were stayng in?

JessTheDog
27th Sep 2006, 08:12
I got out on PVR early early. I requested the PVR date to be brought forward by a few weeks to co-incide with the fixed start date of my new career; the desk officer declined as he felt it would set a precedent (a safe, if unsympathetic decision). However, his boss (who I knew very well) overturned this decision. My unused contingency was to apply for unpaid leave, and I think the unit was sympathetic - there was no need to gap my post as my replacement arrived early for a prolonged handover.

Like everything, there is almost certainly an element of "who you know not what you know". I am sure there are many ways of tackling such a problem, I investigated only two of them.

We give plenty of flexibility to "the system" and it is most pleasing when, on occasion, it reciprocates. :ok:

FFP
3rd Oct 2006, 12:30
Anyone Pilots managed to get out before the 6 years ROS ?
Would be interested to hear any stories via PM.

London Mil
3rd Oct 2006, 13:14
Declare your undying love for an RAF policeman, preferably same sex - ooops, not allowed to use that one anymore. :rolleyes:

How about getting a police caution for possession? :eek:

On the other hand, just ask your boss - they can only say no. Like many previous posters have said, the ball is often bounced back to your sqn boss asking whether he is willing to cope with a gap.

danieloakworth
3rd Oct 2006, 14:51
Chuffchart, did you get any joy? I left a while ago and after a slow start am now earning way in excess of what I did in the mob. Sometimes you just have to put faith in yourself and jump.

FFP why would you want to get out inside 6 years?

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Oct 2006, 15:53
Become a leghumper.

FFP
4th Oct 2006, 13:51
FFP why would you want to get out inside 6 years?

Same reasons anyone else has to want to leave. There don't issue rose tinted spectacles at Cranwell that need to be returned after 6 years ROS anymore.(Have done 9 but not 6 productive)

push&start
4th Oct 2006, 15:06
There is a QR lurking somewhere, sorry can't remember the number, that allows you to bring your release date forward by up to 3 months without affecting your pension, providing you have a written offer of employment with a start date. My circumstances didn't exactly fit the criteria of the QR but some artitsic licence on the paperwork got the job done.