PDA

View Full Version : Is B.A 1st worth it over Club?

J32/41
22nd Sep 2006, 16:45
Just wondered if B.A 1st class is worth the extra money over Club?

What's the difference between the two?

Thanks

McHover
22nd Sep 2006, 17:08
Most definately. Higher ratio of crew. More comfortable seat/bed. Nicer selection of wine and champagne (actually rather good). Quieter cabin.

And the illicit pleasure of exclusivity.

McH (in 1A)

Gouabafla
22nd Sep 2006, 17:37
Not if another thread currently running on the forum is anything to go by!

I don't mind getting bumped up (though it happens increasingly rarely these days) but getting bumped down!:ugh:

The_Banking_Scot
22nd Sep 2006, 20:09
Hi,

Given the significant difference in price that is usually the case between F and Club I would argue trhat it is more of a toss up.

I can usually get the Upper Deck of the747-400 (2-2 conifg and only 20 max pax) which is excellent. I find the club world seat fine for relaxing and sleepiing ( if maybe a tad too small)

Whilst the F cabin is better and the seat better for relaxing ( going on a day flight you can experience the F service) on a night flight you will be sleeping most of the way probably so the difference is less.

There would be more of a difference between F and Club on a 777 in my opinion.

Also your perception of the F/C service may depend on the crew ( my 2 F flights I was slightly disapointed in the crew serivce ( disappearing after the meal service) whereas I have had good service in club.

F probably should be tried at least once.

Regards

TBS

hpcock
23rd Sep 2006, 03:25
So, is 1st worth the extra cost over Club? - IMHO.....no.

Reasons why somone should buy a 1st ticket are, if they are much more than 6ft tall & really need the extra space. If you are so in need of ultimate privacy, may I suggest that chartering an a/c is far better than any first class experience.

I have been fortunate enough to fly both classes, but 8/10 times I will book Club tickets for myself and the family. However, when flying to Aus - approx 2 - 3 times a year, then its always First. This is only due the time factor.

In my experience, I can see a marked difference between the levels of service in the two classes, but frankly I'm more than happy with what I get in Club - maybe I'm eaisly pleased!!

The one airline that does truly differenciate between F & J class, is Singapore Airlines. If you get the opportunity to fly with them in 1st, you will be spoilt rotten.

In closing - you get what you pay for. If you really need the 1st experience then go for it. If however, you end up in Club & find yourself being robbed of your money, just walk to the back of the cabin, open the curtain & take a great big sigh of relief. However, I do agree with The Banking Scot, 1st should be tried once.

Enjoy the experience
HPC

TG345
23rd Sep 2006, 10:42
Got to agree with The Banking Scot about the Club World seat dimensions. I am six feet, four, and proportionately broad-shouldered. I found the fully reclined position a bit like what I imagine lying in a coffin would feel like!

212man
23rd Sep 2006, 10:53
I'd agree with HPC about SIA: who else serves Dom Perignon and Krug? Last time I flew 1st with them I had the whole cabin to myself, now that's service!

Pax Vobiscum
23rd Sep 2006, 21:02
But for the price difference between F & C you could easily buy yourself a case each of Dom Perignon and Krug! Let's face it, paying for First class in long-haul is rather like buying Krug or Cristal - value-for-money has very little to do with it, what you're really getting is exclusivity.

Globaliser
25th Sep 2006, 11:30
You should be getting a significantly higher service level, too. I've been lucky enough to be op-upped into J on a number of occasions, and service levels are variable. Nothing that I would call bad, but only a couple of times has it been anything close to personal pampering. I'd expect that in first class, and it seems that most of the time it's delivered if you want it. However, if you're just going to sleep from one end of the flight to the other, then that may not be worth as much as it would otherwise be.

apaddyinuk
25th Sep 2006, 12:09
The thing at First in BA which is different from most airlines is that the crew are encouraged to be non-intrusive toward the customer, so you are never going to get the same level of pampering as you may get on anothers first class.
I previously flew for Qatar Airways and worked in their First Class cabins. Now that was an experience for any passenger fortunate enough to sit there. Now that I have experienced the BA First seat I really do think something is lacking. Im not saying bring back a Carvery trolley but I do feel BA could ramp up the service significantly.
However, this year is the first year that First has made a profit in about 10 years so its not actually the money spinner many would like to believe. But the good news is that a new cabin is due to be launched in the next year or so and a number of new services such as a turn down service are to be introduced before then too!!!
I would certainly agree that you must experience First at least once. But with the new Club Seat on the way you should really experience that too because it looks great!