PDA

View Full Version : USMC AV-8B pilots?

Jackonicko
22nd Sep 2006, 14:42
Simple but urgent query.

Do the Jarheads have female AV-8ors?

Would such female AV-8B pilots deploy to AFG?

Thanks.

brickhistory
22nd Sep 2006, 14:50
The Marines have had (unknown if there are currently) at least one AV-8B female aviator. Yes, she/they would deploy to 'stan.

Jackonicko
22nd Sep 2006, 14:52
Thanks Brick.

Thought so.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Sep 2006, 14:56
To answer the first question:

www.fighterchicks.com/Hist%20of%20Chick%20FPs.htm

And to answer the second question:

http://userpages.aug.com/captbarb/news.html or http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,Leatherneck_Female_013105-P1,00.html

So it looks likely.

ORAC
22nd Sep 2006, 15:40
Checking the DoD stats, they give a breakdown of female aircrew in the services by service and aircraft type. 2002-2005 the USMC reported 0.4% female AV-8B pilots out of a total of 267. So there is just the one, unless any more qualified this year.

TEEEJ
22nd Sep 2006, 22:24
Simple but urgent query.
Do the Jarheads have female AV-8ors?
Would such female AV-8B pilots deploy to AFG?
Thanks.

Are you thinking that the good Major actually witnessed a USMC Harrier strafe?

Semper Jump Jet
23rd Sep 2006, 01:43
One female on the east coast and number two just checked in last week in Yuma. We've increased our roles by 100%! No restrictions on their deployment status, I spent some time in Iraq with the first I mentioned.

Lazer-Hound
23rd Sep 2006, 13:30
Heh. Jacko is obviously desperate to blame the evil yanks for the good Major's views on the RAF. Are any USMC Harriers deployed in Afghanistan at the moment? My understanding is that the last USMC contingent was replaced by the RAF contingent.

Sven Sixtoo
23rd Sep 2006, 20:15
Jacko

With the greatest respect, I don't think that was a simple query. The underlying intent was obvious to some of us, but there may be many here (particularly amongst our green-bereted cousins) who have not picked up on the driver for your question.

If you have a different take from analysing the Para Major's email, please explain. Otherwise, not up to your usual standard, sir.

Sven

Jackonicko
23rd Sep 2006, 22:02
The good major criticised the Harrier support he got for inaccurate strafe.

RAF Harriers have no guns, so don't strafe.

He criticised inaccurate delivery of WP.

I understand that the RAF Harriers in Afghanistan haven't been using WP.

It has been suggested that he mistook USMC AV-8Bs for RAF Harriers.

This seems to be at least possible, surely?

So I was just wondering and trying to ascertain whether that's a possibility.

Have the RAF Harriers in theatre included a girly pilot, recently?

Sven Sixtoo
23rd Sep 2006, 22:09
Sir
Those are decent and honest questions.

It would have been appropriate to include them in your opening post.

Sven

Jackonicko
23rd Sep 2006, 22:41
At 1542 yesterday it didn't seem appropriate.

A day can be a long time on PPRuNe.....:rolleyes:

Our major's preference for the A-10 over the Typhoon is also interesting - illustrating as it does absolute and ignorant prejudice. Typhoon (whose austere A-G capability is just around the corner) certainly would cope with the hot and high conditions, does have a cannon (albeit one that isn't supported) while the combination of Litening 3 and up to six EPW might, one imagines, be useful......

movadinkampa747
23rd Sep 2006, 22:56
At 1542 yesterday it didn't seem appropriate.

Go on then, what happened at 1542 yesterday?

Jackonicko
23rd Sep 2006, 22:59
That's when I posted the question

movadinkampa747
23rd Sep 2006, 23:01
Oh.................. So it wasn't something important like 1542: Spain's Sergio Garcia misses another birdie putt at the 11th. He is seven under, but he could be breathing right down Tiger's neck.
its here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/golf/5201948.stm

Lazer-Hound
24th Sep 2006, 02:14
So, are any USMC Harrier's deployed to the 'Stan at the moment, or is Jacko going to be desperately dissappointed?

Gotta love those A10's eh, Jacko? At least 3 Para do....

Jackonicko
24th Sep 2006, 12:43
The one sure fire thing is that there are more USMC Harriers with guns and WP in Afganistan than there are RAF Harriers with guns and WP.

How is Ealing library?

nigegilb
24th Sep 2006, 12:56
How do you know it wasn't a bloke with a high pitched voice? I think your intellect would be better served questioning the rationale for using platoon houses in the first instance. Please don't go around blaming pilots individually, they are only trying to do a job in the heat of the battle, be they male, female, US or UK. They all deserve our support. Train your own guns elsewhere.

Black 'n Yellar
24th Sep 2006, 13:22
Yes, USMC AV8Bs were recently in Afghanistan. We did not fire any rockets, especially not WP and we did not have any female pilots. Yes we do have a gun and did strafe, but trust me, the rounds were on target and we have videos to prove it.
I think you are barking up the wrong tree trying to blame this one on the USMC:confused:

Letsby Avenue
24th Sep 2006, 13:39
Can I just say that the English beat the Scottish at Solway Moss in 1542...:}

I'll get my coat..

PS - Why didn't Sir Richard Dannet say that?:confused:

Lazer-Hound
24th Sep 2006, 20:50
When did the current depoloyment of USMC AV8B's begin?