PDA

View Full Version : Help save RAF bicester

Lancasterman
22nd Sep 2006, 14:19
SAVE ex RAF BICESTER Technical Site and help promote support for a WWII-Themed Bomber Command Heritage Centre for the 21st Century!

Many Stories can be said in a few words. This one incorporates the following: Bicester, social history, history, remembrance, science & engineering, industrial heritage, and education!

In partnership with others BCH is willing to be part of a bid proposal for the ex RAF Bicester Technical Site that would see, at the very least, some of the Site preserved as a small museum dedicated to RAF Bomber Command of the WWII-period and its formative years, which would be focused purely on the British & Commonwealth effort and sacrifice. With a bit more vision, this could well eventually be turned into a major UK visitor attraction in the South, and would realise the full potential of the Site-allowing us to do justice to the full scale of the subject.

Being realistic BCH understands the economic forces at play and the reasons why all of the Site cannot be preserved "as is". Naturally BCH would though wish to see as much as possible preserved, and the flying status of the Flying Field kept intact if at all possible. For information regarding our Campaign and to register your support immediately, please go to the following link (which you may have to paste into your browser) and sign the on-line petition!

http://www.bc-heritage.org/bicester (http://www.bc-heritage.org/bicester)

or our Main Site http://www.bc-heritage.org (http://www.bc-heritage.org/)

Also letters of support would be much appreciated too!

Bomber Command Heritage
C/o 29 Eden Road
Gossops Green
Crawley
West Sussex
RH11 8LZ

Easy as one two and three!...And "Four" is to direct everyone to this forum so we can grow support for the BCH Campaign!

YES!! Everyone seems to be saving something these days, but to those sceptics out there, when its gone ITS GONE FOREVER!!! Hope we have not overstepped the mark with such a long post!

Best regards from all the team at Bomber Command Heritage.

Tony Whitfield
Secretary

BOMBER COMMAND HERITAGE
http://www.bc-heritage.org (http://www.bc-heritage.org/)
"...our journey together."

Kindest Regards,
Peter Whitfield
website: www.lancasterfm159.freeservers.com (http://www.lancasterfm159.freeservers.com/)

Lima Juliet
24th Sep 2006, 13:43
Tony

I totally agree with your sentiment: Bicester is decaying and fast! I would like to propose that if you do get the site for preservation that you do not turn it into a theme-park like Duxford. To restore it back to it's former WWII glory so that our children can see what it was like during the war would get my vote :ok:

Like one of those re-enactment sites that those Roman/Medieval groups do so well and are so educational for the kids.

Good luck

LJ

scribbler614
24th Sep 2006, 17:13
Strength to your elbow, Tony.
I recall a bunch of enthusiasts tried to get something similar to Leon's idea off the ground at Swanton Morley after RAF left in mid 1990s - combination of heritage / re-enactment experience and a centre for restoring, maintaining and flying historic aircraft. Didn't come to anything. Think the Army moved in, in the end. But the idea is great, even if hurdles are massive.
I'd certainly pay good money to take my young'uns along to see what a WWII flying station was like - or a decent approximation.
Good luck.

Jackonicko
24th Sep 2006, 18:11
Poor old Bicester is now badly hemmed in by houses.

Isn't that why the RAFGSA no longer fly from there?

The chances of keeping flying going must be remote, I'd have thought.

It's also brownfield land in one of the few areas in the Southeast where unrestrained building seems to be possible.

Don't get me wrong, I have spent many, may happy hours flying from Bicester and dragging gliders to and fro on its grass, and I regret what looks likely to happen, but I suspect that this one is a dead duck.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
24th Sep 2006, 21:19
Why is it "brown field"?

Jackonicko
24th Sep 2006, 21:45
Because, stupidly, unjustly, that is how planners categorise redundant airfields....

movadinkampa747
24th Sep 2006, 21:49
Why is it "brown field"?

Ahh well............ Brownfield land (Not actually coloured brown) is that land that is already developed. Got buildings on it. It thus encompasses any previoulsy developed land:\ and any buildings (in this case Hangars etc) usually empty, which lie on it. Or they could be idle, abandoned, or under-used industrial and commercial facilities where expansion or redevelopment is complicated by real or perceived environmental contamination. However:cool: Land including parks (Swings and stuff), allotments (like the ones in eastenders:{ ) and recreational grounds which have not been developed in the past cannot be classed as brownfield.:ok:

Paul Wilson
25th Sep 2006, 09:23
Also, your back garden is Brownfield land, so if you have a large back garden and build another house on it, it counts towards Prescotts target of building houses on brownfield land, when in fact you are concreting over a green space.

Historically airfields were green field sites, but where there were buildings it was brownfield, this made it more difficult to get planning to build on an airfield. Now we have new improved:( designations, and the whole airfiled is brownfield, and therefore planning is much easier to get - prepare to see many small civil airfields dissappear over the next decade.

spectre150
25th Sep 2006, 13:22
There has been a lot of pressure on the town of Bicester to expand in recent years and the RAF airfield must be viewed as prime real estate by developers, builders and those councils trying to meet govt guidelines/directives for the provision of new dwellings. The site is split by an A road: one side is where the airfield, hangars and a few boarded up buildings lie (RAFGSA has moved on but there is still a busy gliding club in situ) and the other side of the road are a number of buildings in use by DLO.

An RAF heritage site would be wonderful but I wonder is Bicester any better than other sites around the UK. Does it have any special or particular significance? I wish the Bomber Command Heritage Centre the best of luck but sadly I cant help but feel that the writing is on the wall for the site. Sorry for being negative, just my 0.02 Rials-worth.

Jackonicko
25th Sep 2006, 14:04
What's special is that Bicester must be close to being in unmodified WWII state - with very, very little development since '45.

It's probably closer to being a representative pre-war/Wartime light bomber base than anywhere else - even places like Little Rissington.

Lancasterman
25th Sep 2006, 14:35
I talked to Tony and asked him if there are other sites of interest. I was thinking of Scampton and other sites such as Binbrook etc but you want to make sure you are going to have some sort ;)of secure location right?

Roland Pulfrew
25th Sep 2006, 15:53
What's special is that Bicester must be close to being in unmodified WWII state - with very, very little development since '45.
It's probably closer to being a representative pre-war/Wartime light bomber base than anywhere else - even places like Little Rissington.

I thought Bicester was about to be listed?!?! JN is right, this airfield is probably the last UK military airfield in its original state, and for this reason it should be preserved, perhaps as a museum?

But whilst we are at it what about RAF Church Fenton? This is probably the last pre-war fighter style airfield left which could be returned to its original state. All it would take, IIRC, would be the demolition of the horrible 1960s(?) Amenities Centre (on the sight of the old parade square) and the demolition of the Tucano era sim building. Other than that it is pretty much intact................................apart from the missing O's Mess and Sector Operation Centre criminally bulldozed a few years ago!!:{

joe2812
25th Sep 2006, 16:07
Tried signing your petition but the site seems to fart every second and reload the image up top, making the form pretty much un-usable.

Is it just me? Will try again though...

Sleeve Wing
25th Sep 2006, 16:36
Regrettable that the spectre rises again.

I also thought that it had won a reprieve which was why it was again being used as a Gliding site.
Such a shame that the property speculators are greedily eyeing it with a view to ruining one of the best landing surfaces in the country.

Wouldn't it be brilliant for part of OAT's operation ?? Just a thought.

snapper41
25th Sep 2006, 18:20
I was in Bicester ATC Sqn for several years in the mid-late 70s, and spent many happy times on the airfield. However, I think I'm right in saying (and I do stand to be corrected) that Bicester, despite its long history, never launched even one operational sortie. Without some kind of combat history, it's difficult to see it being saved; the public won't identify with it. I wish you luck.

Always a Sapper
25th Sep 2006, 19:05
Great idea, something I had thought many a time... however it would be interesting to know how much research you have done into the project, RoC to sort the buildings etce.

The site has great historic value in that it is a largely intact example of a RAF Airfield dating from the expansion years 1927 to 1939. No real building carried out on the site from 1939 until 2001 and then only three buildings put up in the Domestic Site. namelly a Ballistic Range, ATC HQ and a Gas Meter Shelter!

Shame the Tech Site is so run down, but last time I saw it all things considered it wasent too bad, seen worse, hey lived in worse lol (tidders for example).

Best of luck to you in your project.

Lancasterman check your PM's Sir.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
25th Sep 2006, 21:03
Sorry to harp back to the brownfield classification but I thought a bright girl in the PFA had spotted that clause in the document presented by Prescott's Dept. Does that mean that it has been given a new life in accordance with the Governments principle of always getting its own way?

Regarding the precise thread, I agree that Bicester is of historical significance and deserves preservation. Is this the only 1917 vintage aerodrome to remain grass surfaced and still in MoD hands?

Always a Sapper
25th Sep 2006, 22:44
Sorry to harp back to the brownfield classification but I thought a bright girl in the PFA had spotted that clause in the document presented by Prescott's Dept. Does that mean that it has been given a new life in accordance with the Governments principle of always getting its own way?

Regarding the precise thread, I agree that Bicester is of historical significance and deserves preservation. Is this the only 1917 vintage aerodrome to remain grass surfaced and still in MoD hands?

The 1917 bit got knocked down when they built the 1927 Airfield, bounderies pretty remained the same though. The old WW1 hangers were alongside the main road towards Buckingham if I remember right. There is mention of an old barn/farm on some early maps over near the Domestic Site that may be still there, but what you see now went up between 1927 and 1939.

bc_heritage
17th Nov 2006, 18:18
Hi All!

First off, thanks to Peter for getting this thread going!

To answer some questions that have been posted here we initially were approached by a consortium of developers a while ago, but thier bid fell through. At this time we are in communication with local authorities and others. Time will tell if anything blossoms out of what is currently happening behind the scenes, we do hope so!

Windrushers is still, and will continue to be active on the airfield which is great news. Windrushers have of course had a long affiliation with RAF Bicester. Please visit their site and go book a few tows!

www.windrushers.org.uk (http://www.windrushers.org.uk)

In regards to RAF Bicester having no combat history many RAF Bomber Command O.T.U's did indeed make up the numbers on quite a few ops, so there is quite a bit of history that remains untold, which I am sure would intrigue people.

Just to let those of you that have posted we seem to have stirred up quite a bit of interest which is great for the RAF Bicester Campaign. Obvously many people out there suffer the "British Disease" that its not worth showing an interest in such a cause, but we have hardened up to that kind of attitude, and are getting some extremely good responses. At such a time of year, i.e Armistice Day, to think of those that trained at RAF Bicester, never to return, it is quite sad that people say there is "No History" to the site.

http://archive.bicesteradvertiser.net/2006/9/27/106686.html

If the inevitable does occur, and the site completely re-developed we wish to make sure that the history is told in some way, which would still require a museum, however small on site. Please be aware we are Pro-Aviation and wish to see the flying field remain active.

We continue to seek people that served there, especially during the WWII Period, or relatives that may wish to share stories.

If anyone does feel the urge I am able to supply hard copies of our petition form to people who may wish to stick them up on the wall in their local flying club, or to distribute amongst friends or relatives. No rude comments about where it could be placed either thanks! Just send me an E-mail or contact me direct via our website www.bc-heritage.org (http://www.bc-heritage.org)

From all the Team at BCH, thanks for posting to this thread, and keep 'em coming!

More at a later date!

Best regards

Tony
Secretary

bc_heritage
21st Aug 2007, 11:54
All,
We are still fighting tooth and nail to save this historic site, and are pushing forward our project for a Bomber Command Heritage Centre/ Museum to be located on the aerodrome. We are liaising with Windrushers and local councils to make sure flying also continues, however this continues to be under threat from local planning applications made on the aerodrome boundary. There is a great risk, like all other "Conservation areas", that such a site with tremendous history should be left to rot, or used for mixed development thus losing yet another aerodrome.

To create a BCH Heritage Centre on this aerodrome is a viable proposition. I can only ask you, to help make this site a continued hub of aviation activity and historical importance to be accessed for all.

Please go to the Contact page on our website. www.bc-heritage.org (http://www.bc-heritage.org) and send us your details if you would like to assist with this project, especially if you are located in the vicinity of the aerodrome, and I will be in touch.

Thanks for reading.

Remember, once it has gone, it has gone forever.

Best regards

Tony
BOMBER COMMAND HERITAGE

om15
21st Aug 2007, 15:55
GOLF BRAVO ZULU.

Halton is still a grass airfield, but I don't think it was as early as 1917, the apprentice scheme started in 1920, the workshops and technical area buildings were built by German POWs, so it might make as early as WW1.
When I passed through as an app in the late 60s there was still the large canvas WW1 hangar on the airfield, also a couple of Vulcans which had flown in, that must have been a sight worth seeing.

One thing sticks in my mind about Bicester was the very very small rooms in the airmans married quarters, airman and their spouses must have been much smaller in the days when they were built.

Best regards,
om15

philrigger
22nd Aug 2007, 09:25
In regards to RAF Bicester having no combat history .......

What about the night with the Royal Marines, fire extinguishers and the boys from Crash and Smash in the early seventies ? If that was not combat I don't know what is! Or the frequent offensives against the NAAFI bar staff ?
Those were the days.

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

Impiger
22nd Aug 2007, 16:06
While Bicester may be a good site for a Bomber Command Heritage Centre I have to say that Scampton would be a far better bet. It too is a fine example of an expansion period station and the central core of the unit remains largely as was in WWII. It has the added cache of 617 Sqn and the Dams raid, Niggers grave and of course is in Lincolnshire which is known as Bomber County. The station did recieve some additional building in the 1950s but this too was for Bomber Command purposes being a V bomber station. So for a true tribute to offensive air power Scampton would get my vote.:ok:

Chugalug2
21st Mar 2008, 15:55
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x199/chugalug2/Bicester011.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x199/chugalug2/Bicester014.jpg

With Bicester featuring in the Bomber Command Memorial thread, here are two pics taken through the Main Gate to the Tech Site, showing the 1926 Guard Room and Station Headquarters respectively. As with all the buildings in the Tech Site they are boarded up and the whole site fenced off. More shots available if there is an interest. A reminder that the memorial thread is now a sticky on the Aviation History & Nostalgia Forum. Please sign the Downing Street petition there!
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=296590

Al R
21st Mar 2008, 16:21
Ah, Bisto.

All of the shots are worth looking at Chuggers (imho). :ok:

Chugalug2
21st Mar 2008, 16:34
http://http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x199/chugalug2/Bicester004.jpg
Looking across the grass airfield towards the two 'C' type hangars and the wartime Watch Office from the peri track leading to the Bomb Stores
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x199/chugalug2/Bicester007.jpg
View of the Bomb Stores and Blast Walls through surrounding fence.
Thought it might catch your attention Al. As you say, "Ah, Bisto!" :ok:

brokenlink
21st Mar 2008, 18:59
Fairly sure that several buildings at Bicester were listed by English Heritage 2 or 3 years ago. I have the listing at work, will double check on Tuesday and get back to you.

Chugalug2
21st Mar 2008, 19:29
Thanks for that very important point, brokenlink, English Heritage have identified RAF Bicester as uniquely important both as to age, with many buildings dating from 1926 as well as the later '30s Expansion phases, and to completeness.
This plan shows the extent of the listing by English Heritage from a report by Airfield Research Publishing commissioned by Cherwell District Council ( I hope that covers the copyright aspects, if not I'll gladly remove it!).

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x199/chugalug2/ARP63.jpg

Al R
21st Mar 2008, 21:34
Nice one Chuggers.

bc_heritage
26th Apr 2008, 11:58
...the funny thing is it is always "Lincolnshire" that comes to mind in regards for doing anything in relation to RAF Bomber Command of the WWII period. Nothing wrong with that at all, but Bomber Command personnel operated not only there, or ONLY in the green and not so pleasant lands of Great Britain during WWII. They operated from MANY not very green, and not very pleasant lands around the World, and they were not all in Lancasters!

Before I get slammed, my Great Uncle ( Lanc Skipper, trained under the Arnold Scheme in the U.S) and crew last had their feet on the ground 8 March 1945 at RAF Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire. They took off at 1743 hours. The oldest of his crew was thirty five...I myself am thirty-seven, non-military...and my golly, did I have a lump in my throat when I laid wreaths to these Men, and for other relatives that had contacted us from RAF 61 Squadron. I have utter respect and grattitude for all those Men, and this of course extends to those that are thankfully still with us today. Like most relatives with an interest, I am drawn to that place....but we need to remember them ALL, whether they served in Lincolnshire in heavies, or Blenheims in the Middle East, and such rememberance should not be tainted by facts like geographical location, special ops, largest amount of ordanance dropped, biggest aircraft. Let us remember them all.

RAF Bicester is absolutely perfect, in every way. Yes, many buildings have been given Grade II Listings, and Scheduled Ancient Monument Status. PM me if you want to become a Volunteer, and allow the vision of a Heritage Centre DEDICATED to RAF Bomber Command of the WWII Period and formative years to come to fruition on such a site STEEPED with Royal Air Force History. Respond now please, as there is much to do, otherwise much Air Force Heritage will be lost.

For those that want "significant events" at RAF Bicester let us mention the Halibag re-assemble, taxi trials, and maiden flight, SAR "Operations", and if flying over water is not dangerous, let alone "off you go" training I don't really know what is. After the war, well after the War, and actually two days before I was born, the Hendon Lanc began her two year restoration under the expertise of 71 M.U. Any doubters about the validity of RAF Bicester that was under the control of RAF Bomber Command, just go buy/go to local library and grab a copy of Bill Chorley's OTU Losses, it WILL open your eyes to the bigger picture, and you will be moved, by the events within.

And for any other pessimists out there, much is going on, with good feelings in the air...

I rest my case for the defence.;) Excuse any speeeling mistokes, tad rushed today.

Tyres O'Flaherty
27th Apr 2008, 06:47
Also HP Halifax maiden flight from there 24 sep '39.

bc_heritage
27th Apr 2008, 09:31
Hi there Tyres!

I once had one on a CFM Shadow,and my Instructor thought I had forgotten where the rudder pedals were!! So you are in Oxfordshire? PM me if you want to get involved! :-)
Best regards
Tony

Chugalug2
27th Apr 2008, 16:10
A very great pleasure as always to get a post from Bomber Command Heritage! Split as I am between this Forum and Aviation History and Nostalgia where the BC Memorial thread languishes (temporarily I hope) it is of interest that there is a thread running there on RAF Hemswell. If ever there was a quintessential WW2 BC station it was that, especially as it starred in its own contemporary training film. Sad to say though most of the runway surfaces have gone together with much else of the infrastructure, leaving the C type hangars, the watch tower and various other buildings. A complete contrast to Bicester with complete and preserved 20's, 30's and war time build domestic and technical sites. As BCH reminds us BC wasn't just Lincolnshire nor was Lincolnshire just BC. Bicester is an RAF BC gem, easily accessible on the town perimeter from the major rail and road links connecting London and Birmingham. As far as BC crews were concerned, this was where their story began for it was here that they were arbitrarily formed into crews that were fated to survive or not, roughly in equal numbers, in the greatest UK struggle of WW2. Only philistines would let such rich heritage be destroyed. Unfortunately this is no lack of philistines these days!

tacr2man
28th Apr 2008, 08:46
|Slightly OT but the next one to get ready to fight for will be RAF Weston on the Green , with the planned development of ''Weston Otmoor'' IIRC new town now in the last 15 of proposed new eco towns as it will almost surround this airfield

Chugalug2
28th Apr 2008, 09:09
the next one to get ready to fight for will be RAF Weston on the Green

I know that I will be stirring up a hornet's nest here, t2m, never a wise thing to do but....The dilemma of preservation is that you can't preserve it all and some, even most, will be lost. The trick is to select the most appropriate candidates. Being now a man of leisure (if only) my personal indulgence is railway preservation, mainly because I am able to do voluntary work at the nearby Bluebell Railway. When BR was junking steam as well as enormous amounts of obsolete rolling stock enthusiasts were placed in a similar dilemma. Happily a combination of nous and commercial reality resulted in a pretty good cross section of loco classes both recent (some had only been completed months before withdrawal) and historical. Rolling stock fared less well, though I must put a plug in here for the farsightedness of the early Bluebell people. Well what's all that got to do with the price of fish? I think we have to become similarly well organised and clear-sighted. If a site has an historical significance of its own, is largely intact and could become self sufficient in its own right which means easy access amongst other things then it should go onto a short list. No doubt those who want to save Weston would tick all those boxes, but of course the competition comes from other candidates seeking survival. With Bicester being so close and WADR so much more important historically and in its intact and listed infrastructure then I doubt Weston would make it. Of course there are other considerations about unwanted development. They are not of interest here though, are they?

spectre150
28th Apr 2008, 14:50
The really old bits of Weston (on the other side of the road to the airfield) are occupied by civilian companies. The old Officers' Mess is a plant/agricultural machinery outlet (I think so anyway - I drive past it every Saturday and Sunday but never look in the window) and what I think used to be part of the SNCO's Mess is 'light industrial units'. I think these date from around 1917. I have 2 reasons for wanting Weston to stay as it is - as a weekend jumper there I dont want to lose the airfield, and as a resident of Bicester I dont want to see the Oxfordshire version of Milton Keynes just the other side of the M40. NIMBYism at its best!

Very interesting thread about RAF Bicester though - after posting my rather negative remark when the thread first opened I am now much more aware of its history and wish the preservation group all the best.

Chugalug2
28th Apr 2008, 15:04
Spectre, thanks for your tribute to Bicester. I sympathise for your concern at the "improvements" planned for Weston. I suspect that they are well founded! Coincidentally Al R has just posted on the Bomber Command sticky on Aviation History & Nostalgia what can only be described as a "vision thing" for Bicester. I commend his post to you and everyone who want the unwarranted slur placed on the Bombing Offensive by the chattering classes in and since 1945 to be reversed. Time to properly acknowledge this costly and bitter prelude to victory over tyranny and enslavement.
We will remember them!

bc_heritage
29th Apr 2008, 11:45
Chaps,

Again, think Chuggers, and Al R over on the "Memorial" thread has summed the vision up nicely. Bomber Command Heritage was set up from Day One to do "it's best" for those of the Command, where we feel other organizations have failed to do so, and with perhaps apprehension in todays political climate.

We have followed the plight of RAF Bicester since 2001, and this "Vision" of utilising the Former RAF drome (Tech site and Flying Field incl. Bomb Store area, and adjacent 1945 constructed extension) as a Heritage Centre to the Command of the WWII Period and formative years.

Its not about just saving yet another aerodrome, yada,yada. The place has HUGE siginificance in relation to Royal Air Force architecture in this Country, or more importantly the World.

If you have an inkling of seeing those of the Command remembered in such a fantastic place, come and vote with your feet, and PM me for further details about getting involved. If you have an interest in any subject, be it engineering or social history, etc you can really help make a difference, but we need your help now to make this work. Be part of a fantastic venture to remember those that helped give us our Freedom, that we all take so much for granted these days.

Please also sign the petition on our website. We need your support to make this work, so get spreading the word!

Thanking you all so much.
Tony

www.bc-heritage.org (http://www.bc-heritage.org) (website to be updated, but copies of archived newletters are available for download)

bc_heritage
26th Jul 2008, 00:30
How the time flies! Just to let you all know, our Campaign is very much going from strength to strength. We have taken many steps forward since my last post three months ago! There is so much work to do, but we are confident that we are heading in the right direction. If that sounds a little too positive, it is because we do not do pessimism on this thread!

Let me also plug the Heritage Foundation's Campaign for a Bomber Command Memorial to be located in London. See the "Sticky" over on the History and Nostalgia forum. ;)

Best regards

BOMBER COMMAND HERITAGE
"...our journey together"
www.bc-heritage.org (http://www.bc-heritage.org)

Tyres O'Flaherty
9th Jan 2009, 14:15
Looks like Bicester's pretty much saved then

:ok:

gpn01
9th Jan 2009, 21:46
How so? Has something changed recently ?

Tyres O'Flaherty
9th Jan 2009, 22:03
From Bicester Garth gazette;

Councillors Agree Conservation
Status For RAF Bicester
Proposals to protect the historic RAF Bicester site from housing
development have been agreed by Cherwell
District Council.
RAF Bicester, where World War Two bombers were once based, already
has special status in the eyes of planners and now the Cherwell District
Council has confirmed its historic status.
The site was originally developed as a bomber base in 1925 and has
been described by English Heritage as the best pre-1945 example in
the country.
“We want to make sure the historic buildings are maintained as
they represent a significant part of our national heritage,” says Cllr
Michael Gibbard, Portfolio Holder for Planning and Housing.
Councillors on Cherwell's scrutiny panel received a presentation from a
group called Bomber Command Heritage on ideas for creating a
heritage centre on the site, with historic aircraft and the possibility of
some use as a working museum airfield.
The council's Executive confirmed the historic status of the site and,
while recognising that some development may be needed to maintain
and support the buildings, it has firmly ruled out any idea of using
RAF Bicester for housing

Al R
9th Jan 2009, 22:11
Given its location and access, Bicester should be put to practical use rehabilitating injured servicemen, housing socially vulnerable servicemen (why wait for Chelsea?), teaching tradition aeroplane skills, being a centre for cadets and for remembering the Bomber Command sacrifice in WW2.

taxydual
9th Jan 2009, 22:47
What a bloody good idea!

Well done, Al R

gpn01
10th Jan 2009, 08:49
That's not news - meeting was 17 November. Wonder if it'll change following decision on eco-town no longer happening at Weston-on-the-Green.

Al R
10th Jan 2009, 09:01
Bomber Command Heritage should take a pat on its back for all its resilience and determination. Although I dissagree about one or two aspects of how it intends to move forward, what it has done, quietly and without fuss is nothing short of amazing.

Bicester needn't be stuck in a time warp.. preserved, conserved.. yes, but with a modern spin and with a proud nod to its past. If you go to places like Northwick Business Centre near RAF Moreton in the Marsh you can see what can be done. Bisto's heritage, its facilities and its proximity to the Silverstone triangle makes it the perfect spot to also be put to productive commercial use use our servicemen's skills and attributes, historic aviation, apprenticeships, learning, passing on knowledge and historic motorsport, as they move into a potentially hostile and incertain civvy career.

Northwick is a small place with a charm all of its own. It started life as an American army hospital, became a Polish refugee camp for more than 25 years after WW2 and has been a thriving business centre ever since. Companies on the site range from metal workers to shoe makers, antique restorers to stonemasons, to car restorers and vintage racers. Somewhere like Bicester could replicate that success on a grander scale. It could give a viable platform to those servicemen in need who wish to work together the chance to present those skills and at the same time preserve the memories of those who died for us in the bombing campaigns of WW2.

Double Zero
10th Jan 2009, 15:14
Like other people have mentioned, I posted a completely inoffensive, constructive post here, now it has gone; I also posted on the thread regarding the use of Israeli airburst phosphorous shells in Gaza as did others.

That entire thread was locked and has now gone; OK if what I and others said might be too contentious then of course delete those posts, but the thread as a whole was valuable information.

Censorship by one person or a small group...tends to lead to bad things, judging by history.

I notice the 'contact us' option has disappeared from the banner options.

I was also going to ask how to pay up & have a logo on my username ( I wanted to make it clear 'Double Zero' refers to Dick Dastardley's car, nothing to do with 007 pretensions) .

bc_heritage
12th Jan 2009, 00:12
First off, Double Zero, you are right, so to the 'Moderators', if its not offensive let it stay, as everyone's voice should be heard.

Secondly, Really Annoyed...'living in the past', is also known by people as something to do with a subject called 'History'? Excuse my sarcasm! Some people hate History, that's fine, I know I did in me School days!:)

Thirdly, have a read of the following links. (if I have not messed up!)
Conservation Area Appraisal
http://www.cherwell.gov.uk/media/pdf/k/a/5a_RAF_Bicester_-_lr.pdf
Conservation Area Executive Report
http://www.cherwell.gov.uk/media/pdf/3/8/5_RAF_Bicester_Conservation_Area_Executive_Report.pdf

As Tyres has mentioned, things seem to be looking good for the drome! 2009 should be another year when things carry on moving foreward, no doubt slowly, but with positive vibes in the air!

A massive thanks to everyone that is showing support for the project!:ok:

Chugalug2
3rd Feb 2009, 16:20
On Saturday 24th January 2009 Bomber Command Heritage’s first Public Meeting was held at St Edburg’s Hall, Bicester. BCH played to a packed house and the event was deemed to be a great success.
National coverage via the Daily Telegraph here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4337232/NEEDS-PIC-Fight-to-save-WW2-bomber-base-for-the-nation.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4337232/NEEDS-PIC-Fight-to-save-WW2-bomber-base-for-the-nation.html)
and via the BBC here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7848931.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7848931.stm)
Local Press Coverage via the Bicester Review can be seen here

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x199/chugalug2/BCH-BicesterReviewarticle.jpg

spectre150
11th Apr 2010, 12:26
According to the latest Bicester Review (front page story no less), a buyer has been found for the 'domestic site' (ie the one over the road from the airfield). Good news for those seeking to preseve this piece of history. Sorry I cant give m ore details - I am typing this at work and the paper is at home :)

BEagle
11th Apr 2010, 12:38
See: Old RAF Bicester site sold off to developers (From Oxford Mail) (http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/archive/2010/04/09/Bicester+news+%28om_bicesternews%29/8091740.Old_RAF_Bicester_site_sold_off_to_developers/) or Old RAF Bicester site sold off to developers (From Bicester Advertiser) (http://www.bicesteradvertiser.net/news/bicester/8091740.Old_RAF_Bicester_site_sold_off_to_developers/) .

airborne_artist
12th Apr 2010, 08:20
Good old MoD - the indoor range at Caversfield (used for testing personal ballistic protection) was only completed a few years ago, and now it's no longer available. There were other testing facilities installed at great expense as well, which then were dismantled/scrapped.

Always a Sapper
12th Apr 2010, 19:52
I'm not surprised the Domestic Site has been sold, it was the better of the two built sites and it should'nt be too difficult for the developer to get a return on the asking price either. (once they get rid of the stream that runs under one of the main buildings that is... big one, next to the old mourge, could be Bldg 50).

Should be interesting to see what they do with the Ballistic Range mind... I hope they don't just unbolt the steel plates lining the thing :eek: without getting some serious heavy lift gear in first .... :E

The place never really rose to it's full potential following the incredibly stupid move of the clothing and kit boffins from Colchester, we lost a world beating inhouse resource there btw as a lot of the 'brains' just feked off to industry.

The labs were all set up, spankers new kit etce most of which were never used (all those brand new Fume Cupboards in Bldg 16 anyone?). Apart from the range that is... firing an old 'bang stick' (SLR) in an indoor, steel lined 25 mtr range... :E rumour was they were even licensed for .50 :eek:

Shame they didnt find a use for the Tech Site as a part of the move, then all that nasty asb**t*s that infestates the place would have been removed and it would have been maintained over the years instead of being put to wind and weather (ignored more like, so it falls down and we can sell it easier... but I never said that ;) right... RIGHT).

airborne_artist
13th Apr 2010, 10:34
(all those brand new Fume Cupboards in Bldg 16 anyone?)

Destined for the skip, I expect. I was working in that very building up to four weeks ago.

bc_heritage
25th Apr 2010, 18:59
Just to let everyone know we are still going strong!

It's a bit of a :ugh:, but we continue to strive for our goal of having a vibrant Heritage Education Centre/Museum on such an exemplar site of an aerodrome, and as mentioned elsewhere on PPRUNE..It is the best preserved 1930s grass ex-RAF airfield on the planet, so spread the word!

Nuff said eh?!:)

For more info about becoming a Volunteer visit our website, or Twit.ter:ok: (Some reason PPRUNE does not allow links there?)

Huge Thanks to people all over the WORLD that are showing support! Your kind words are most encouraging :ok:

Chugalug2
25th Apr 2010, 19:59
Thanks for the update, BCH, always heartening to hear of the good work you guys are doing and the exciting plans you have for RAF Bicester. It is especially appropriate that your post coincides with a thread informing us of the sad news that Ray Grayston, one of the very few remaining Dam-Busters, has died. Both postings remind us of the very great debt we owe to all who served in Bomber Command in WW2 and the very heavy losses they sustained in order that we later generations be born free. Let us hope that the proposed Bomber Command Memorial in London be completed before they are all gone. BCH Bicester I fear will take rather longer but hopefully what is currently being done and the plans for what it will become will gladden the hearts of those who are still with us. We can never repay the debt we owe but at least as a nation we can express our gratitude and commemorate their sacrifice more fittingly than we have.

bc_heritage
21st Dec 2010, 23:22
Hi All, Just to keep you all informed of what we are trying to do you can now follow our updates that we post to both Twitter and our Faceboook Page.

BCH (BC_Heritage) on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/bc_heritage)

Bomber Command Heritage | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/BomberCommandHeritage)

May I also take this opportunity to wish all our supporters a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!:)

Thanks So much!:ok:

Chugalug2
22nd Dec 2010, 20:14
Thank you for keeping us abreast of the tireless work of Bomber Command Heritage, bch. Now that the London Memorial looks at last to be about to happen let us hope that RAF Bicester is seen as its perfect complement so that both may suitably honour the tremendous sacrifice made by that Command in WW2. Another of its members has sadly passed away in recent days, Bill Foxley. He might have found later fame in the Battle of Britain film, but he was a BC Nav and sustained his dreadful burns while attempting to save a fellow crew member from the raging inferno that was his crashed Wellington bomber. Future generations must learn of the heroic struggle that was the WW2 Bombing Campaign, and the dreadful cost that it incurred. It has taken an inordinately long time for this nation to begin to take proper cognisance of the debt it owes these brave men, let us hope now that it makes amends by bequeathing RAF Bicester as a permanent national Bomber Command Heritage Site to ensure that debt is commemorated in perpetuity.
A Merry Christmas to all at BCH, and may 2011 be a truly Happy one for you at Bicester!

bc_heritage
16th Sep 2011, 20:21
Fund-Raiser In Aid of B.C.H - An Evening with Squadron Leader Tony Iveson DFC, Chairman of the Bomber Command Association, 22nd October.

I do hope I don't get clobbered by the Mods here for promoting our latest Fund-Raiser, as it has been a few months since our last post here! This year has seen a local company, M40Offices, kindly donate office space as our HQ, a stone's throw from Bicester Aerodrome, so 2011 is coming good for us at last! :ok:

For further information please visit our website. Bomber Command Heritage Fund-Raiser (http://www.bc-heritage.org/events/2011TonyIveson.htm)

Thanks so much! :)

John Botwood
21st Sep 2011, 05:18
As a well known patriot once said:

Lie In The Dark And Listen

Lie in the dark and listen.
It's clear tonight, so they're flying high -
Hundreds of them: thousands perhaps,
Riding the icy moonlit sky -
Men, machinery, bombs and maps,
Altimeters and guns and charts,
Coffee, sandwiches, fleece-lined boots,
Bones and muscles and minds and hearts,
English saplings with English roots
Deep in the earth they've left below.
Lie in the dark and let them go.

They're going over in waves and waves,
High above villages, hills and streams,
Country churches and little graves,
And little citizens' worried dreams.
Very soon they'll have reached the bays
And cliffs and sands where they used to be
Taken for summer holidays.
Theirs is a world we'll never know.

City magnates and steel contractors,
Factory workers and politicians,
Soft, hysterical little actors,
Ballet dancers, reserved musicians,
Safe in your warm, civilian beds,
Count your profits and count your sheep,
Life is passing above your heads.
Just turn over and try to sleep.
There's one debt you'll forever owe.

Noel Coward 1943

John B

LFFC
14th Jun 2012, 18:11
MoD to sell off former RAF Bicester land (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-18443044) 14 June 2012

A spokesman for the MoD said: "The RAF Bicester site is now surplus to defence requirements."

It seems to have taken them a while to make up thier minds!! :ugh:

1.3VStall
15th Jun 2012, 06:55
Yes, it has taken a while. No 71 MU left in the 1970s, leaving behind the RAFGSA Centre, which in turn departed for RAF Halton in 1994. Since then the Windrushers Glding Club has been leasing the site from Defence Estates.

Always a Sapper
15th Jun 2012, 19:18
1.3VStall,

IIRC the RAF Gliding moved out in 2004, at least that was around the time the closure/hand over meetings in respect to the Tech Site and the Airfield were held with DE.

Drove past the place a few weeks ago, there's been a bit of demolition on the domestic site but it’s nice to my old office was still standing (the original cookhouse, later converted to a cinema and located near the back gate across the road from the de-contamination building).

The tech site looks even more overgrown now but that comes as no surprise, there was a distinct reluctance to spend anything on it even back then.

As to the supposed decision to sell, again no real surprise there have been lots of attempts to sell the place with some pretty harebrained ideas being floated as to the potential use... One being to convert the hangers into flats.

In respect to planning issues and the local 10 year plan I was told by 'someone' during a site walkabout that the master plan was to just hold on to the place until such time that the local council rolled over on the 10 year plan and allowed expansion and housing in that direction and then sell it lock stock n barrel for development, there was no mention of any thoughts towards any historical consideration, if anything that seemed to be viewed as a very negative aspect of the whole thing and if it all fell down in a heap of bricks then so much the better!

oldmansquipper
15th Jun 2012, 22:23
The old Domestic site is currently being redeveloped into bijou accommodation for the well trousered...The development has been cleverly named "The Garden Quarter"

The development had to consider the historical interest in their designs - see:

The Garden Quarter, Developments, Home - City and Country (http://www.cityandcountry.co.uk/developments/the_garden_quarter)

1.3VStall
16th Jun 2012, 12:20
AaS,

You are right: my mistake! It was 2004 that the RAFGSA moved out.

Chugalug2
16th Jun 2012, 14:05
LFFC:
It seems to have taken them a while to make up thier minds!!
I rather suspect that their minds have been made up for them. Any money the sale makes will be better than the continuing financial drain of ownership of a site that is protected from any real profitable development, unlike the Domestic Site.
All the more reason then to say two cheers at least for this news. Another heartening move in the bringing of reluctant and grudging recognition of the debt this country owes to the bravery and steadfastness of the members of Bomber Command in WWII. In HM The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Year, that will see the unveiling of the Green Park Bomber Command Memorial to the memory of the 55573 aircrew who gave their lives in that long and dangerous campaign, it is good news for Bomber Command Heritage who have fought so long to save the Technical Site of this historic and unique pre-war ADGB and wartime bomber OTU RAF Station.
Eventually it will hopefully lead to the proper preservation that the site has patiently awaited for decades and of the planned use of it to tell the tale of an all volunteer force of aviators who fought for the "Victory at all Costs" that brought freedom and peace to a benighted continent. Those who think that victory could be achieved without such cost are the very reason that BCH exists.

bc_heritage
18th Jun 2012, 21:37
Hello All,

Chugalug2 hope you are well?

Some good news! This evening Cherwell District Council Executive voted in favour of forming a strategic partnership with us in order to help acquire and transfer the former historic RAF Bicester from the MoD to BCH. This is to help access funding and deploy Council resources to enable the project.

Oh gawd, it's been a hell of a journey, and it will continue to be so, but we ain't letting go. We are in it, to win it!:ok: The real work starts right now, and we ain't messin'. To hell with the naysayers. Okay, bit too casual this post, but best it comes from the heart, and we like saying how it is. Kinda fed up with people telling us how :mad: hard it is! WE KNOW!:ok:

Have mentioned this on our social media sites today, but we really so want to thank everyone that is showing support for what we are attempting to do. :D

Chugalug2
19th Jun 2012, 06:54
bc heritage, a very warm welcome back to the thread, and with such good news that you bring with you as well! When RAF Bicester becomes the preserved and restored heritage centre planned for it, it will simply be because of the decades of lonely and seemingly hopeless effort made by you and the rest of the BCH team. So "hell of a journey" doesn't even begin to get close to describing it I would guess, but at last the "end of the beginning" is in sight. Nothing worthwhile is easy, and the goal of enabling an informed understanding of the duty and sacrifice that was the WWII RAF Bombing Campaign could not be more worthwhile.
Thank you for coming back to PPRuNe to keep us informed, please continue to do so, just don't leave it so long next time though;-)
Thanks for your personal wishes, yes quite well though often in hot water here! I hope that you too are well and that 2012 can be looked back on as the year that it really came together for BCH and RAF Bicester!
Best wishes to you all, Chug.

LFFC
15th Jul 2012, 11:16
Campaign to save 'last intact' Second World War Bomber Command airbase (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/raf-bomber-command/9400393/Campaign-to-save-last-intact-Second-World-War-Bomber-Command-airbase.html)

bc_heritage
29th Aug 2012, 17:02
There is a danger that the former RAF Bicester, the last intact WWII RAF Bomber Station, will be split up and lost to "mixed development" as usually happens to all historic aerodromes unless Bomber Command Heritage (BCH), in partnership with Cherwell District Council, can acquire the Site and restore it back to its former glory for use as Heritage Centre and major UK visitor attraction with tremendous benefits to the local economy. BCH need to purchase the site immediately from the MoD as well as undertaking wider work to help raise awareness of the importance of the subject and its relevance in the 21st Century.

You can help! Please donate any amount, no matter how big or small, to our "Fighting Fund" by either:
going to our website Bomber Command Heritage Website ...Our Journey Together (http://www.bc-heritage.org) and simply downloading a Donation Form;
or contacting us via email: [email protected] ;
or sending directly to our Telford Road office.

bc_heritage
25th Sep 2012, 12:28
Hello everyone,

Please find exerts of our new press release. Thanks to everyone who is supporting our project.

SEVEN YEAR DREAM BECOMING A REALITY

A Bomber Command Heritage Living History Site, Education Centre, Museum, International Visitor Attraction and Memorial is planned to open at the former RAF Bicester.

Backing received to acquire former RAF Bicester aerodrome to create a world-class heritage centre and International visitor attraction.

It has been a long seven-year journey for Bomber Command Heritage (BCH) who has finally received the opportunity and backing to acquire the former RAF Bicester aerodrome in Oxfordshire, and restore this best surviving example of an RAF Bomber Station. This will create a unique Bomber Command Heritage site, Education Centre, Museum, and world-class International visitor attraction. The site has been finally put up for sale recently by the MoD, bids have been submitted, and now BCH along with other rival bidders, await the MoD's decision.

Cherwell District and Oxford County Councils have stepped forward to ensure the project is delivered. Located in the heart of the Oxfordshire tourist trail, Bicester Town already has some 4.5m visitors coming to its "Bicester Retail Village." However, BCH believes it can tap into an additional audience from all over the world and bring Bicester and the region the benefits of heritage tourism and employment opportunities by having a world-class visitor attraction on its doorstep. Sue Smith, Chief Executive of Cherwell and South Northants Councils said: "We have been working hard to transform Bicester for our residents. Together with the town redevelopment and planned housing growth, this proposal will not only preserve the heritage of the site and celebrate the lives of the fallen but also provide economic development benefits through providing jobs, engaging with local businesses and growing tourism."

Martin Tugwell, Oxford Council's Deputy Director for Growth and Infrastructure added: "The RAF Bicester site provides a huge opportunity as a cultural and geographical balance to Bicester (Retail) Village, which brings heritage, educational, tourism and leisure opportunities the town really needs. We support the BCH proposal and welcome the opportunity to ensure these outcomes are achieved."

The BCH team also includes Liam O'Connor, award-winning architect of the National RAF Bomber Command Memorial recently opened by The Queen in Green Park, London which was organised by RAF veterans, and the professional fund-raising team responsible for raising finance for a major part of that project. The heritage centre at Bicester is very much a logical next stage to the Bomber Command Memorial as it will explain the importance of the Memorial and the wider subject in a factual, yet engaging way, in a historic setting. The Bomber Command Memorial has become the fourth most popular visitor attraction in London.

Local MP Sir Tony Baldry has also been very supportive in Parliament and said: "I very much hope that Bomber Command Heritage will have the opportunity of acquiring this site from the MoD so that it can become a living museum, enabling future generations to have the best possible understanding of the contribution made by the RAF and by Bomber Command to winning the Second World War."

Squadron Leader Tony Iveson DFC, AE, Rtd., 10-years Chairman of the Bomber Command Association, is currently BCA Vice President and BCH advisor. Tony is supporting Bomber Command Heritage Centre at Bicester. Tony was an air ace and Spitfire pilot in the Battle of Britain before transferring to the special elite 617 squadron (Dambusters) and flew 27 operations including all three against the German battleship Tirpitz. Tony then flew as a Captain with BOAC before joining Granada TV and advising on the launch of Eurodisney and enjoying a long and successful career in advertising and public relations,

Chairman of BCH, Dean Overton concluded: "Everybody gets very excited when the see a Lancaster bomber, but few realise the story and sacrifice that it represents, and the relevance in the 21st Century. I have never felt as confident as now that we will achieve our goal of opening the world's first museum and education centre, on a befitting scale, solely dedicated to all-aspects of the WWII story of Bomber Command and the civilian effort. Our bid is totally unique in that it satisfies the MoD in terms of returns for the taxpayer as well as providing a sustainable commercial / training environment for Cherwell - whilst delivering the ultimate Public benefit: open access for all. I guarantee there will not be a more attractive bid than ours on the table, and, despite those that said it can't be done, our dream is now becoming a reality"

:ok:

1.3VStall
25th Sep 2012, 14:00
So, can anyone tell me where Windrushers Gliding Club, who currently lease the airfield and a hangar from Defence Estates, fit into this proposal?

bc_heritage
25th Sep 2012, 16:42
1.3VStall, ss you know Windrushers Gliding Club have been on the field since the late 50s, and then reformed in 2004, when the RAF Gliding & Soaring Assoc. moved on. As you are aware, or should be aware we have always supported Windrushers Gliding Club. Hope that helps?

After all, we are aviation heritage enthusiasts, and some of us are airworthy examples too!:)

Mandator
25th Sep 2012, 19:00
Does an active aerodrome feature in your plans? There appears to be no specific commitment to that in your PR.

bc_heritage
26th Sep 2012, 20:34
Mandator, Absolutely indeed, and we will be looking at encouraging in-period (pre-1946) vintage taildraggers both military and civilian as would have been found on an RAF Station at the time. BCH was founded by a passionate bunch of aviation enthusiasts after all.:ok:

Mandator
26th Sep 2012, 21:47
Thanks for that expansion on the detail of your plans. I'm very pleased to hear more about your plans to keep the aerodrome active.

bc_heritage
29th Mar 2013, 16:10
Hello all. Well, it's all finally happened. Not much to say, apart from thanks for everyone's support over the years. The Government never listened to Sir Arthur Harris back in the day, nor recently, regarding the Bomber Command Clasp, being produced for Aircrew only, so we did not expect for them to listen to us either.:ugh:

Opportunity Lost: MoD Rejects Bomber Command Heritage Bid for RAF Bicester (http://www.bc-heritage.org/bch/)

BUT, unlike many, we don't suffer the "British Disease" ourselves, so watch this space. :)

BOMBER COMMAND HERITAGE

1.3VStall
29th Mar 2013, 18:43
BCH, is there no scope for you to work with the new owners to establish some form of museum/memorial? After all, the press release does talk about some form of "aviation facility".

zetec2
30th Mar 2013, 10:08
New owners Bicester Heritage Ltd ,
Quote:
"the company plans to establish a national vintage motoring & aviation facility on the technical site & airfield."
unquote.

At last some good news, PH.

Chugalug2
30th Mar 2013, 12:29
zetec2:-
At last some good news, PH
I wish I could share your enthusiasm, z2. This is a bitter blow for BCH who had worked so hard to achieve their aim of honouring the sacrifice and duty done of Bomber Command by utilising the unique site that is RAF Bicester, a 1920/30's period station frozen in time, to tell the BC story. Unlike the MOD and the modern RAF, they felt that this story had to be told to later generations instead of the default policy of wiping it from the pages of history. It took a Pop Star to ensure that a fitting National Memorial to Bomber Command be provided, albeit nearly 70 years after the event. That Memorial plays proper homage to the 55,573 aircrew who died in that bitter campaign. It was hoped that Bicester would tell their story, indeed tell the story from the original Air Defence of Great Britain, of which it was a part, to the great Strategic Bombing campaign against the Third Reich, for which it helped to train the crews. Evidently that is a move too far, for now at least. The old guard has had its say it seems. They may yet be subverted in their ways. We can but hope.

Racing chief reveals scheme for RAF base (From Oxford Mail) (http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10047801.Racing_chief_reveals_scheme_for_RAF_base/)

Edited to add:-
Having read the above, "paintball and indoor go-karting"..."willing to involve BCH". Has Mr Reynard any idea of what BCH's aims are? I very much doubt it.

bc_heritage
30th Mar 2013, 17:26
Hello All

Just to correct a few things here. The latest info dated March 30 as far as we see is as below regarding the site being turned into a "Business Park"

BBC News - RAF Bicester airfield to become heritage business park (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-21970360)

zetec2, as per Chugulug2's comment...don't know how many people will be taking their kids to a "Business Park" for a bit of fun and education on a Sunday afternoon, but who knows!

1.3VStall. Can see where you are coming from, but Chugulug2 has said what needs to be said most eloquently.

Thanks to everyone for the support. We aren't shoving our heads in the sand just yet, so watch this space! If there is any good news in any way, shape or form..we'll keep you all posted. :)

Chugalug2
31st Mar 2013, 07:28
BCH, welcome as ever back to PPRuNe, though would it were in happier circumstances. Thank you for the kind words about my post, but I should perhaps make it perfectly clear that it was just that, ie my own personal thoughts on this latest turn of events. I do not speak for Bomber Command Heritage, which of course you do, and I think that I must make that perfectly clear.

As you say this is not the end, but it may well be the end of the beginning. One can only hope that an accommodation is possible between Bicester Heritage and Bomber Command Heritage that will allow of the site to not only be saved and restored but to also tell the story of Bomber Command's heroic fight for the freedoms that we all enjoy these days. If the Memorial tells us anything it is that one has to have faith, that right will prevail. Not a bad motto all things considered. As appropriate today as it was in those dark nights of the 40's.

zetec2
31st Mar 2013, 08:52
Well not only living in Bicester (over the road from the airfield) flying from there & having been involved with the airfield since 1958 one way or another (I was flying from there before the Windrushers & RAFGSA whilst still an RAF base !!!) the news is far better than having another 1500 houses being built on the airfield as the current local infrastructure just won't support it. From latest news regarding the vintage car setup it looks as though a very respected Bentley restorer & racer will be heading that, also the aviation side of the winning bid looks as though it will be an active warbird restorer & operator, the Windrushers Gliding Club looks secure. The plans indicate that it may take some years to be fully operational but better than more houses, we will see, PH, Bicester.

Lima Juliet
31st Mar 2013, 09:50
I also live 8 minutes drive away from Bicester Aerodrome and I also concur with your thoughts. This is a far better result than was originally planned for the aerodrome - a gazillion houses and the demolition of several unique buildings.

I would hope that there would be scope for BCH to be invited onto the technical site as there are so very many buildings in a decaying state. I was never really convinced that another massive aircraft museum was a good idea - Hendon, Cosford, Brooklands and Duxford are all 1 hours drive from Bicester. That said, BCH's vision is unique to being solely just Bomber Command. I can't see Windrushers, a Bentley Restorer and Chiltern Classic Flight (CCF News | Meet the Team | About Us (http://www.thechilternclassicflight.com/about.html)) using all of the real estate on the aerodrome. I would have thought a less modest use of a building and one of the four hangars would be more within BCH's scope - filling 4 hangars with Bomber Command aircraft and artifacts is massively ambitious (in my opinion).

Well done to Bicester Heritage Ltd - there was still a distinct danger of more houses (the Garden Quarter opposite the aerodrome is an example Grade II Listed | Houses | Apartments | Historic Buildings (http://www.cityandcountry.co.uk/our_developments/the_garden_quarter)). I would hope to see it develop with a full working aerodrome, a motor heritage museum (including stuff from nearby Silverstone), aviation heritage (including BCH) and other heritage (how about a gliding museum?) - how about an apprenticeship scheme for youngsters? Bicester is expanding rapidly and having something for the 'herberts' from the local new-build estates to do is a definate requirement.

LJ:ok:

zetec2
31st Mar 2013, 13:12
After spending a pleasant morning chatting with some local business people over a pint (ok a couple) & a pie, there is great interest (and discussions I understand are already underway with Cherwell DC) from a local engineering college & F1 & Sports Car fabricators based in Bicester to take up options on available units on the old tech site, If it all comes to fruition then the site could become a centre for engineering, aviation & motor sport excellence, just hope I live long enough to see it all happen, Paul H, Bicester.

Al R
31st Mar 2013, 13:37
Given the location, I always thought that Bicester had potential as a single national rehabilitation, re-training, education and resettlement centre.

Al R
19th May 2016, 08:01
Nice to see Bicester being used.

Three years on, RAF Bicester has been transformed into a classic car and heritage haven (From Oxford Mail) (http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14500189.This_former_RAF_base_was_transformed_into_a_classic _car_paradise/)

9th Sunday Scramble Tickets - 22nd May 2016 - Bicester Heritage (http://bicesterheritage.co.uk/event/9th-sunday-scramble-tickets-22nd-may-2016/)

PlasticCabDriver
19th May 2016, 18:55
That's excellent news!

I used to live just round the corner in one of the "local new-build estates", we flew our Pumas out of there in 2004-ish when the Benson Stn Cdr "invited" us to "consider" moving our OCF night flying phase with its attendant noise elsewhere over the summer.

The gliding school there at the time were very helpful, I got my one and only trip in a glider too!

Archimedes
19th May 2016, 22:30
And the Flywheel Festival (the second one occurs in early July) was rather decent last year.

Airshow Review ? Bicester Flywheel Festival 2015 | GAR (http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2015/07/02/airshow-review-bicester-flywheel-festival-2015/)

(Yes, the Vulcan didn't appear, but the impression that I had was that a significant proportion of those who stayed around did so to avoid the car park queue and to have some more time looking over the static display and the old cars. Or to explain to their 4 year old that while he'd been shown how to do a proper parachute landing, the Dakota on static was, sadly, unable to take off so that he could try to see how to do it for real...)

Wander00
20th May 2016, 08:42
When I was a flt cdr at the Towers in the 80s, my flight got Hobson's Choice for project weekend - we went gliding at Bicester. My philosophy was that those that wanted to be aircrew should find out what it was they were getting into, the potential penguins should have an idea of what it was they were going to support. I got the odd trip as well, including an aerobatic trip with a guy ISTR was UK aerobatic gliding champion. We stayed in Halton House - I will never forget the look on the face of an Omani cadet - not from a rich and powerful family - his Dad was a sgt in the Omani Army - he was totally astounded by HH

Roland Pulfrew
2nd Aug 2016, 17:03
Not a bad little article from the Daily Fail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-3718503/How-Bicester-Heritage-brought-1920s-RAF-base-life-classic-car-hub.html) I think I may have to pop along for a visit sometime.

Chugalug2
4th Aug 2016, 07:30
AlR:-
Nice to see Bicester being used.

Indeed Al, and it would seem on the face of it that the thread title has been secured, ie that RAF Bicester has indeed be saved! However, if you read the OP it promoted the saving of RAF Bicester and to help promote support for a "WWII-Themed Bomber Command Heritage Centre for the 21st Century". That is yet to happen and, if the London BC Memorial is any guide, might have to wait for another half century to do so. We can only hope that the commercial success that the Classic Car operation appears to be enables the BC heritage centre to happen soon.

What is encouraging is the obvious respect and recognition given to RAF Bicester's past. Old buildings are being reused in an appropriate and sympathetic way with their original RAF titles preserved. This all augers well for the Technical Site as a whole and the excellent groundwork of BC Heritage lays down a blueprint for the future if the present owners are so minded. Their public announcements to date certainly do not preclude such a possibility and the OP's hopes may be realised yet.

Steve Bond
4th Aug 2016, 10:01
As someone involved with Bomber Command Heritage, it seems that attempts to be part of the new set-up there all came to naught, which is a sadly missed opportunity. I think it unlikely that those ideals will be realised in the future.

Chugalug2
4th Aug 2016, 13:10
SB:-
it seems that attempts to be part of the new set-up there all came to naught
I'm not too surprised by that. Bicester Heritage seems to be very commercially minded, but that doesn't mean that they would not be interested in incorporating a Bomber Command Heritage theme within the site themselves.

As Leon points out, there is an abundance of accommodation (especially of Hangars). These are listed structures so if they are to be maintained they will have to pay for themselves. There will be a limit on how much repair, restoration, tuning, or selling of Classic Cars that the site can support. There is already an aviation aspect on offer from the links posted already, so it takes little stretch of the imagination to see that extended to telling the RAF Bicester story, both wartime and pre-war, and how that melded in to what would become Bomber Command's European Campaign.

BCH might baulk at the thought that such a theme could be commercially self-supporting, but people these days are more and more prepared to pay out good money to visit preservation sites that educate; be they castles, stately homes, or preserved railways. I am a volunteer at a latter such site, and the "bums on seats riding up and down the line" has long since become merely part of the "experience" on offer. If Bicester Heritage tells the BC story in an engaging and respectful way, I for one would be in favour of it and be prepared to pay in order to partake of it.