PDA

View Full Version : When to buy business class?

Jimmy Macintosh
21st Sep 2006, 15:31
I'm travelling to the UK from the US later this year.
I'm seriously considering travelling business class this time as I cramp up in cattle class and a flight of 12 hours seems like it may well be worth the extra cash for the additional space and comfort.
Now I'm wondering whether I should buy the business class seat from the outset or would it work out cheaper if I buy a normal cattle class, maybe economy plus, then upgrade at the airport?

Any suggestions appreciated.

lexxity
21st Sep 2006, 18:56
If you book early enough and go through a good consolidator you will get a really good business class deal. Be aware though that the ticket may not be flexible, as would be normal with a biz ticket.

Some of the US posters may be able to recommend a good consolidator.

SXB
21st Sep 2006, 19:42
Jimmy, Be aware that whatever you pay it's going to be substantial, the European airlines see their business class product (avoid business class products by any American airline as they just are not good enough) as elite and they don't give it away for silly prices.

I don't think BAs Club Class product can be beaten but if you want to travel in Bus class but want to save a $1000 or so trying a different european airline that doesn't fly direct from the US to London like Lufthansa, Swiss or Austrian Airlines (obviously the last two are very dependent on where you live as to whether they serve your home city). You'll have to fly an extra sector but it will be cheaper.

Let us know how you get on.

manintheback
21st Sep 2006, 20:56
I've tried it 3 times, twice with Virgin once wioth BA. First time Virgin it was about £400 cheaper than early booking, second time slightly more expensive. With BA I got on the plane and then found it was already full.....

So probably best to work the websites nice and early.

Final 3 Greens
21st Sep 2006, 22:32
Jimmy

You might also consider premium economy.

BA and Virgin both have good products and they are much less expensive than J products, but typically offer 6/7 inches more legroom than economy, if thats your concern.

Guern
21st Sep 2006, 22:37
Used Virgin's premium economy from Uk to Boston and back. Well worth it, much cheaper than Business but great legroom and good cabin service, also get to leave aircraft before economy.

172driver
22nd Sep 2006, 07:20
Jimmy, you mention a flight duration of 12 hours, which would indicate West Coast. This unfortunately limits your choice of European airlines a little, severly if you don't live in LA or SF. As a general rule, however, continental European airlines tend to be cheaper in C classs to the UK than BA/Virgin. If, however, you really want to tag on an extra leg after a 12hour trip is a different matter altogether..... have you considered buying a Y ticket and upgrading with airmiles ? Failing that, I'd probably second some of the other posters and suggest a premium Y product from BA or Virgin.

Hartington
22nd Sep 2006, 07:28
The least expensive BA Club Class fares can have an advance booking requirement of as much as 42 days so it pays to look around early. It's also worth bearing in mind that it's quite possible to go one way in one class and the other in another and I've used BA WTP (premium economy) westbound with BA Club eastbound very successfully.

Lou Scannon
22nd Sep 2006, 18:52
If premium economy is acceptable, try looking for flights with one of the better charters. I hear that the new First Choice premier cabin is excellent for comfort and value.

The_Banking_Scot
22nd Sep 2006, 20:00
Hi,

Last year BA/VS had Business fares Uk/US for about £1200 rtn ( non changeable /Non refundable). These came out about Christmas time for travel up to March.

A few weeks ago DL had NYC-LGW for £600 up to March and CO matched the fare.

Some US airlines might have sales around Thanksgiving time.

If you have some BA miles you could pay for a WT+ ( premium economy ticket) and use 25k miles to upgrade to Club.

Regards

TBS

Regards

TBS

EDIspotter
25th Sep 2006, 16:37
going by the name you are Scottish like me so might be worth checking out GSM's BC offerings.....

Or CO/DL that way you'll have a local departure too.

HALFPINT
25th Sep 2006, 19:32
You could check out Air India - to New York and Chicago from LHR. Used to fly their first class every three weeks for long weekends in NYC at the end of the 90s. Then - through a bucket shop (£1100 return) - but people like travelbag.co.uk are offereing first class in Air India for £1920 return now. Kuwait Air £1406 (but no alcohol). Air india FC is great - sleeper beds and the rest. The planes are occasionally late coming into LHR from Mumbai but if you have no pressing need to be somewhere exactly on time ...

If you are going to the West Coast try Air New Zealand Business Class through the likes of Travelbag (there are others - just google.co.uk for "cheap first class fares to USA).

Hope this helps.

HALFPINT
25th Sep 2006, 19:38
Just checked another site for LHR - LAX

They are "quoting" prices in business starting at £1495.

Here's the link:

http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/business/Los-Angeles/Heathrow/