PDA

View Full Version : MOD Laptop Stolen

ORAC
21st Sep 2006, 12:56
Oh not again. Please tell me the owner wasn´t RAF........ :uhoh:

Press Association, September 21 - Laptop theft prompts conference security review

Police have been forced to change security arrangements for next week's Labour party conference after a laptop containing policing plans was stolen from a car, police and the MoD said today. Thieves stole the laptop from a car being driven by a member of the armed forces parked at a motorway service station on the M6 in Hampshire on Tuesday morning. The laptop also contained security plans for the Tory party conference in Bournemouth next month.

The Ministry of Defence said security arrangements had been "fully reviewed" as a result of the theft. "An incident has taken place which is being investigated by police," a spokesman said. "In light of this incident security arrangements for the conference have been fully reviewed and internal security procedures re-examined."

The laptop and a satellite navigation system were stolen from the car at 9.30am on Tuesday from the Fleet Service Station on the M3, Hampshire police said..........

South Bound
21st Sep 2006, 13:05
We don't help ourselves do we? How terminally stupid does one have to be to leave an MoD laptop in a car in a car park? Person needs shoeing, but will probably only get a slap on the wrist. Hope he/she gets charged for it and any damage to the car at least....

Two's in
21st Sep 2006, 13:12
It'll be absolutely secure if it has to be accessed via his JPA log in...

PompeySailor
21st Sep 2006, 13:13
Fleet Services. It'll be part of some pikey's MP3 downloading rig by now. Except, of course, it won't because as soon as they twig that they can't get past the BIOS it will offloaded to Tottenham Court Road to sit on the shelves beside the laptops with submarine plans, the ones with nuclear plans, the ones with battle plans.......

The driver needs a good slap with a flip-flop. The Marines need volunteers for drivers in Iraq, I suggest they have found one.

QFIhawkman
21st Sep 2006, 14:17
Oh not again. Please tell me the owner wasn´t RAF........ :uhoh:

I doubt it somehow as it had plans for the policing of the events concerned. One of our SF friends possibly.....

ORAC
21st Sep 2006, 14:25
manchester Evening News:

A laptop containing security details for next week's Labour Party conference in Manchester has been stolen from an army chief's car......It was stolen from the lieutenant colonel's car while it was parked at Fleet Service Station

London Mil
21st Sep 2006, 14:31
Hat on, no sherry.

Blakey875
21st Sep 2006, 14:50
M6 in Hampshire? When was that extension built?

AlanM
21st Sep 2006, 15:28
I wouldn't leave my own laptop in the car, let alone someone elses and one one with sensitive information on it.

What a plum. :ugh:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
21st Sep 2006, 15:54
It is just possible he left it in the boot. He may have thought there was less chance of putting it down in Service Station and either forgetting it or some cnut walking off with it. Being Army though, he may have the dexterity to hold it all the time and do everything with his free hand.

As observed; unless it was stolen specifically for what it contained, your average or above average bandit isn't going to get much use from it.

It must be wonderful to be 100% perfect on 100% occasions.

airborne_artist
21st Sep 2006, 15:59
Equally possible he had an estate car (being a Lt Col, he'd need to put the Labrador somewhere), and put the laptop in the back, with the cover pulled over. Great invention, but any scally who sees the cover in use just knows there's something hidden underneath.

Gainesy
21st Sep 2006, 16:08
The Lab would have eaten it. Believe me.

(Well, the power & usb leads anyway).:(

airborne_artist
21st Sep 2006, 16:17
My Dobermann would have eaten the scally :D

Bigt
21st Sep 2006, 17:19
....Fleet has suffered a number of caravans being unhitched from the owners vehicles and being rehitched to the `new owners` vehicles....laptop=no problem

Krystal n chips
21st Sep 2006, 17:22
I think I can safely reveal the contents of the laptop for those interested in "Operation lets bring Manchester to a grinding halt"----Fortress G-Mex, lots of plods---and :mad: chaos in the traffic system. And it hasn't even started properly---yet.

But you have to er, "laugh" at the man from the Council who said, in all sincerity, that the City was used to dealing with big events:rolleyes: and would cope.

Shame nobody has informed him this one is taking place in the vicinity of two major routes into the place.

handysnaks
21st Sep 2006, 18:15
Being Army though, he may have the dexterity to hold it all the time and do everything with his free hand.

Ok....one hand holding the lead for the aforementioned labrador
other hand holding one of those polished stick things.................

London Mil
21st Sep 2006, 18:20
I hope he wears the right coloured trousers for his impending interviews. I would hate to see those maroon or tartan thingies trashed.

Wrathmonk
21st Sep 2006, 19:40
The Police should start by interviewing Messrs Brown, BuffHoon and all other so called "loyal" Labour party members who wish to see B-Liar out sooner rather than later. How convenient if he left as a "martyr" ... :E

Zoom
21st Sep 2006, 21:54
It was a good career move - he'll be First Sea Lord soon.

sense1
21st Sep 2006, 22:10
What an absolute nightmare!

Somebody is in alot of trouble. :sad: The MOD cops never look lightly on this type of thing!

Poor, unfortunate bas**rd! Sh*t happens!

cornwallis
21st Sep 2006, 22:24
If it was an MOD laptop it probably cost 10 times more than a commercial one,and doesnt work

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Sep 2006, 03:22
It's the modern day version of leaving BIGOT documents in the back of a taxi :8

airborne_artist
22nd Sep 2006, 06:53
And what exactly is the problem with putting the TS plans on a USB memory stick that said half Col can then carry in his trouser pocket?

Mr C Hinecap
22nd Sep 2006, 07:03
The USB ports are possibly locked out on the machine as they are one of the easiest ways of breaking through many security features, so not really viable.

ORAC
22nd Sep 2006, 07:27
But, at least 10 years ago, IIRC, it was dictated that all new laptops had to have removal HDDs which were required to be removed and carried by the owner/courier when in transit to prevent exactly this type of occurence - remove the secure from the V&A. :ugh:

Cumbrian Fell
22nd Sep 2006, 07:32
M6 in Hampshire? Army Chief (= Lt Col)? Clearly a disinformation campaign. Anyway, without the encryption token, required on all MOD laptops wef Jan 06, the machine would be entirely useless.....

Fall from Grace

South Bound
22nd Sep 2006, 07:35
Only for secure (Secret) laptops, the rest are just very expensive COTS handicapped with encryption software...

GBZ - no-one is 100% perfect, but this was just stupid and our more junior boys and girls get hassled all the time for doing stupid things. Like I said, I hope he/she pays for it - if SAC Bloggs loses a piece of kit he has signed for, he has to replace it....

PompeySailor
22nd Sep 2006, 08:32
USB sticks are now cleared for use on DII.....

If it was Army, they are getting better. It's an improvement from leaving your sidearm in the Asda toilets......

Anyway, it's only Neu Labour - put the bloody things on the internet.

Spotting Bad Guys
22nd Sep 2006, 08:45
PS - Actually, I understand that the particular incident you referr to did not concern an individual from the Army....:ugh:

SBG

airborne_artist
22nd Sep 2006, 09:02
SBG - A Booty?

PompeySailor
22nd Sep 2006, 10:51
PS - Actually, I understand that the particular incident you referr to did not concern an individual from the Army....:ugh:

SBG

Er - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/4350374.stm

Stop banging your head - it hurts after a while....

PompeySailor
22nd Sep 2006, 10:56
Er - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/4350374.stm

Stop banging your head - it hurts after a while....

Laptop appears to be Army EOD issue as well (public domain information now).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Sep 2006, 11:39
That's nothing. I just heard on the radio that the US census department says they've lost or had stolen . . . over 200 :ooh: