PDA

View Full Version : Hand Luggage Rules to be RELAXED

555SUB
21st Sep 2006, 11:18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5367096.stm

FINALLY - good for news for all concerned!

fortuna76
24th Sep 2006, 09:45
Well, that does help a bit. However, I still fail to see how this helps to improve security. I would normally travel with a trolley, and a laptop case. So first everything was dangerous and I was going with my passport only. Then I was allowed to take my laptopcase, but had to check the trolley. Now I can take the trolley, but have to check the laptopcase..... Sigh!! :ugh:

Isn't it just the case that they jumped the gun a bit and are trying to hide it, by not coming back to normallity instantly. Really, I fail to see how I can take one case, or the other, but taking them both would be a grave risk to security.... Anybody??? :confused:

Max Angle
24th Sep 2006, 09:51
I fail to see how I can take one case, or the other, but taking them both would be a grave risk to security.... Anybody???It's more to do with keeping the queue down at the checkpoints. A large percentage of bags are being hand searched anyway so more bags = more time.

fortuna76
24th Sep 2006, 10:31
Or you could go for the next step:

More handsearching --> is more delays --> is more staff to do the job.

It is not my problem that they understaff the security guys. I pay a 24 euro security tax on each ticket (from ams) so they might as well use that to get a extra man to search that tiny laptopbag.

What I am puzzled about though is why they make me take of my belt, shoes, watch and whatever else before going through the security gate, when it doesn't beep, then are giving the full body search anyway (including a humiliating procedure whereby they swing your private part from left to right to check the inside). They might as well forget about the gate. Same for the bags. If they are going to open it and check everything anyway, why even bother with the machine. This sort of double-dutch stuff is a cause of louds of delays as well and it does not increase security much...

In my honest opinion I doubt the usefullness of a lot of these procedures. Is it not possible that the security companies will use any excuse they can grab onto to increase there budgets. I was amazed about the fact that 24 hrs after the initial scare at Heathrow, a security company was able to tell on tv what was required to avoid the current thread and how much it was going to cost (calculated down to a extra security tax per pax).

Tosh McCaber
26th Sep 2006, 15:06
Can anyone say if any a/c could hold all the cases in the o/h lockers, if every passenger brought a max size case on board? On smaller a/c on regional routes, it's impossible at present to get even a brief case size bag in the cabin- they have to go in the hold as you step on board. Large cases are a pain in the butt, and completely unnecesary, especially on long haul.