PDA

View Full Version : Apache over London

hon_bookie
20th Sep 2006, 22:39
Anybody know why there was an Apache over London, yesterday evening, about 19:10. Seemed to be over Charing Cross / Waterloo area. Not over Palace of Westminster (no point another couple of weeks before they are all back).

Was slightly surprised!

I.P Stop
22nd Sep 2006, 14:05
routine trg you know the score- :=

QFIhawkman
22nd Sep 2006, 14:29
Serious question Hon Bookie, so a serious reply:

It could have been a route recce for an upcoming flypast. It could have been for a photo opportunity. And it could equally have been just a jolly.

If you were wondering if it had any more sinister connotations, I very much doubt it. The apache has limited uses over central London in the "finding the bad guys" vein!
Other aircraft do that job much better.

I personally have flown over the capital last year as part of a route recce, so I'm just guessing at the above possible reasons. Not being a rotary man, I couldn't say for sure, but hopefully one of our AAC brethren might be able to give you the definitive answer.

Razor61
22nd Sep 2006, 14:32
If you were wondering if it had any more sinister connotations, I very much doubt it. The apache has limited uses over central London in the "finding the bad guys" vein!
Other aircraft do that job much better.

Now if that was in Israel...

but it's not..... :E

HEDP
22nd Sep 2006, 14:34
It was taking the shortest route from A to B. Nothing more sinister than that.

HEDP

hon_bookie
25th Sep 2006, 22:29
QFIHawkman,

Ta for the response. It was turning around etc, so didn't look like a straight A to B, but sure it wasn't overly sinister. As said, more appropiate A/C for that, including Met aircraft.

Biggest concern, was almost spilling my pint in surprise! Not what you normally see though.

HEDP
26th Sep 2006, 09:35
A two minute hold at London Bridge to enable London City departing traffic normally causes an orbit rather than a hover! :ok:

AlanM
26th Sep 2006, 10:32
We can no longer hold heli's at Vauxhall Bridge... (seen Spooks???)

We now have to hold on the river between Westminster and London Bridges. (Red Ken is getting a but p***ed off at us holding at London Bridge aparantly)

I wasn't in but that is what it sounds like...... (unless some AAC chum is impressing mates at the HAC!!)

Phil_R
26th Sep 2006, 14:20
Hi,

I'm always quite surprised to see Chinooks and suchlike thundering about over London. Usually it is extremely difficult to get permission for photographic flying over London if you want to go anywhere except directly over the river. Don't know how this works for the military?

Phil

Data-Lynx
26th Sep 2006, 19:58
AlanM. Have you seen the Ken's noise constraints itemised in the London City Airport Discussion Document (http://www.londoncityairport.com/HelicopterReport/LondonCityAirportHelicopterReportSep2006.pdf), published this month? The Terms of Reference for the investigation are to:
• Establish what impact any increase in helicopter traffic and noise has had on Londoners and how this is being addressed;
• Determine helicopter routeing in London and assess if improvements can be made to the way helicopter air traffic is managed;
• Establish the noise performance of helicopters typically used and the different types of helicopter use in London;
• Examine the effectiveness of the three policies on helicopter noise in the Mayor’s Noise Strategy.
For Phil R. The Mil are subject to the route restrictions, shown at Figure 1 and 2, unless specific clearance has been obtained - and that usually takes a political approval.