PDA

View Full Version : Display pilots in the news

Flying Lawyer
20th Sep 2006, 15:17
......... or they will be when next month's Guild News comes out.

Some pilots who will be well-known in this forum, some of them Ppruners, were elected to the Guild of Air Pilots last week.

Upper Freeman (Professional pilots)
Mark Linney
John Romaine
John ('JT') Taylor
Brendan O’Brien

Freeman (PPLs)
Phil Connolly

Phil isn't as well known as the others. He imported an ex-Vietnam Huey from America and, with enormous assistance from two PPRuNe regulars, SASless and IdleStop, eventually cut through a lot of red tape to get it onto the display circuit - and was granted a DA himself.
For those with an interest in things rotary, there's a thread about Phil's Huey here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184078)

Congratulations to them all. :D

At the 'senior' end of Guild members, Duncan Simpson is giving fellow members a talk on his career next week.
(Chief?) Test Pilot of the Hunter, Hawk and Harrier.
What a career!

Tudor

BTW, if anyone's interested in being proposed for the Guild, feel free to contact me and I'll help if I can.
(You don't have to be a display pilot. :) )

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Sep 2006, 16:05
Very many congrats to Brendan O'Brien, better known to me as G0UCT and a bird watcher (that's feathered, not the twin-engined variety in this context).

Brendan McCartney (ex-EGLL but still G4DYO)

TheOddOne
20th Sep 2006, 20:52
Blimey, I knew he was a twitcher, but didn't know about the amateur radio bit! Apparently he was birdwatching on one of the reservoirs when the Trident went in and he was one of the first on the scene...
Where does he find the time to do all that AND fly all the a/c types he's flown?

JDK
21st Sep 2006, 02:37
John Romain.

Tsk. 'e' :hmm:

Congratulations to them. John's certainly had an inspirational aviation career.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Sep 2006, 07:06
<<Apparently he was birdwatching on one of the reservoirs when the Trident went in and he was one of the first on the scene...>>

Really? We have something else in common then - I was very intimately involved in that tragedy. Haven't spoken to him for many years. Oh yes - we also have the same christian name!

H1HU
22nd Sep 2006, 14:25
Well deserved on Phil's part. His dogged determination paid off.

Me thinks a few sherberts will raised in celebration.

H1HU

:D :D :D :D