PDA

View Full Version : Instructor in UK needed for BFR

paulthornton
20th Sep 2006, 11:38
Hi,

I hope that I'm not clutching at straws here, but I need to do my BFR before the end of December and I currently have two choices. One of these involves a happy couple of weeks in Sydney and the sun, the other involves finding an Australian instructor in the UK who can do my BFR in a G reg aircraft (if this is even possible...)

Option one is highly attractive, but trying to spare the time for that is likely to be very hard at the moment; hence a hope that I can find someone in the UK who can do this.

Any other ideas much appreciated.

Paul.

Much Ado
20th Sep 2006, 11:45
Paul I am not sure it is even possible...but the best place to start will be the Private Flying Forum..so I am shifting your thread there.

paulthornton
20th Sep 2006, 11:48
but the best place to start will be the Private Flying Forum..so I am shifting your thread there.

Thanks for that - had a bit of a toss up between here and D&G before posting and (as usual) picked the wrong one :}

Paul.

Whopity
20th Sep 2006, 22:21
There are two Australian FIs doing a Course with Bonus Aviation at Cranfield right now, you could try them!

IO540
21st Sep 2006, 06:55
Can't see why an instructor with the appropriate Australian rating, plus a JAA instructor rating, could not do any checkride in a G-reg in UK airspace.

It's also likely that if he did not charge for it, and/or the checkride portion of the flight was done outside UK airspace, he would not need the JAA instructor rating.

HEP-PPL
21st Sep 2006, 09:51
For what little its worth, my reading of CAR 5.81 says that the flight review has to be conducted by an "approved person" and in a particular type of aircraft (5.81 (2)) but makes no mention of the registration of the aircraft or location of the flight. So if you can find an instructor who has the suitable approval from CASA and the legal right to instruct in the UK it seems plausible.

Mind you if I was doing this and had lined up a suitably qualified instructor and G-reg aircraft I would probably still want to check with CASA.

paulthornton
21st Sep 2006, 17:37
Mind you if I was doing this and had lined up a suitably qualified instructor and G-reg aircraft I would probably still want to check with CASA.

I hear exactly what you are saying there ... but of course, this involves CASA giving a straight answer - which happens slightly more than with the CAA, but not by much.

Thanks for the information all of you - will try and track down the folks at Cranfield.

Paul.