View Full Version : Edisonīs light bulbs found in attic

ORAC
20th Sep 2006, 06:32
The Times - Edison's lightbulbs found in attic

A set of light bulbs that helped Thomas Edison to uphold a patent on his unique design has been discovered after more than a century. The set, presumed lost, is to be sold at Christie’s in December after turning up in the attic of an American family. Auctioneers are expecting it to fetch between Ģ200,000 and Ģ300,000.

The 22 bulbs enabled Edison to defend his patent against a challenge, in 1890, from the United States Electric Light Company.

http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,342543,00.jpg

Rollingthunder
20th Sep 2006, 06:40
Four Christmas cards, hand-painted by Beatrix Potter, are going under the hammer after being discovered in the attic of one of her relatives.
The cards, which belong to a man from Oxfordshire, are expected to sell for Ģ15,000 each at auction on Wednesday.

They were painted for Potter's young cousins, Bessie and Elinor Lupton, whose mother died in childbirth, to cheer them up at Christmas.

Bidding is expected to be brisk with interest shown from Japan and the USA.

Hoarded items

Auctioneer Martin Kidson-Trigg said it was a wonderful story of literally finding hidden treasures in the attic.

"The family started the arduous task of sifting through the boxes of items that have been passed down through the family from elderly relatives who hoarded everything.

"In one of the trunks, in an old brown envelope, they discovered the four postcards," he said.

Nationally and Internationally, there is a huge demand for Beatrix Potter memorabilia.

The four cards that have survived today are in good condition and illustrate:

Rabbits playing in the snow with a sledge, signed in ink HBP 94.

Rabbits and bunnies (kittens) on bicycles, signed H.B.P. Christmas 1895.

Mice eating Christmas pudding at a table, signed with best wishes for Christmas from Beatrix Potter. Dec 1893.

Mouse opening a larder door to reveal the food inside, signed H.B.P. 1890.

Seems to be the week for attic finds

Buster Hyman
20th Sep 2006, 08:16
Oh bloody hell! Close this thread before Draper sees it!!:rolleyes:

Farmer 1
20th Sep 2006, 10:27
The electric light bulb was Edison's personal favourite invention. He knew that whoever perfected it would have the world at his feet, and be rich beyond his wildest dreams. He worked all hours of the day and night for over three years in his quest. Mrs Edison was not pleased, to say the least, and yearned for a normal life, complete with husband.

At long last, Edison achieved his aim, using a sliver of bamboo as the bulb's filament. It was two o'clock in the morning as he applied the power to the bulb, and it shone with a brilliance never before seen. Absolutely over the moon, he rushed upstairs to tell his wife. He shook her awake, and begged her to come and see what it was he had accomplished.

She opened her eyes, gave him a baleful look, and said, "Do you realise what time it is? Two o'clock in the morning! Switch that bloody light off and come to bed!"

ShyTorque
20th Sep 2006, 11:55
I have a lightbulb in my attic, been up there for years. It must be very valuable because it's also a Thomas Edison's Company original.

At least, its got the TE'SCO stamp on it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
20th Sep 2006, 12:11
22 of them! :ooh:

I wonder how many people it'll take to change them

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2006, 12:18
I have a circular disc of black plastic with a hole in the middle and a groove on each side.
Is this a record?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
20th Sep 2006, 12:23
I went up a spiral staircase...

...and found myself on the same floor :8

ORAC
20th Sep 2006, 12:26
There´s yer error, should have bought one of them helical staircases instead. :cool:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
20th Sep 2006, 12:35
I used to have two of them

rotated
20th Sep 2006, 12:39
The world's longest burning lightbulb is not an Edison... :ok:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/rotated/longbulb.jpg

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

ORAC
20th Sep 2006, 12:41
Levo, dextro or a double helix Mr Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh?

tony draper
20th Sep 2006, 12:47
Bah humbug!! the man was a country bumpkin, a plagerising hayseed,a colonial hick up to his knees in cowdung, a bucolic cutpurse thief of other peoples ideas the first house in the world lit by electric light bulb is not a mile from where one sits and its in England.
The vacuum bulb with carbon filliment was up running and lighting up homes here two years before Edison stole the idea,hmmm typical of the cousins,late again.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2006, 12:56
The world's longest burning lightbulb is not an Edison... :ok:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/rotated/longbulb.jpg
http://www.centennialbulb.org/
Watt? Not very bright, laddie!

Buster Hyman
20th Sep 2006, 13:08
:rolleyes:Bugger!:rolleyes: I told yez so...:rolleyes:

ORAC
20th Sep 2006, 13:10
One had not realised it till reading wikipedia, but the US (Edison) screw fitting was adopted because it was already in common use for gas fittings, as it provided a gas tight seal. Obviously equally efficient at stopping that new fangled electricity escaping...

(Lest this be thought silly. At home as a child, before my father rewired the house, all the electric wires were fed down the old gas pipes and the electric light sockets were designed to screw into the old gas mantle holders and used shades of a similar design......and I had an old aunt who used to go round putting plugs in empty sockets to stop the electricity leaking out....)

The european "opposing side-pin", or bayonet, fitting being a British invention, by Alfred Swan (http://www.edisonian.com/p004b002.htm). I do like those early bulbs with their gas mantle look-alike knob handles on the side....

green granite
20th Sep 2006, 14:38
A typical case of "evolution" not "revolution" then

Blacksheep
21st Sep 2006, 03:04
I used to have two of themSo did Unabola...

designed to screw into the old gas mantle holders
In our house it wouldn't have been a good idea to run elektrickery wires through the gas mantle pipes. The gas mantle lights still worked. Gran considered gas lighting as "new fangled" until long after The Wireless became a Radio. Television was the work of the devil.

She had tremendous foresight did our Gran.

evansb
24th Sep 2006, 03:14
Think Thomas Edision invented the light bulb? Many scientists in industrialised nations had been working for years to develop a long-lasting light bulb. A couple of Canadians, Henry Woodward and his assistant Mathew Evans invented a bulb containing nitrogen gas and a carbon filament. It was patented in 1875. Being the typical Canadians of the era, they didn't have enough money to develop it further, so they sold the patent a year later to Thomas Edison. As is usual, the one who makes money from the invention, gets the credit.

G-CPTN
24th Sep 2006, 03:23
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan
In 1850 he began working on a light bulb using carbonized paper filaments in an evacuated glass bulb. By 1860 he was able to demonstrate a working device, and obtained a UK patent covering a partial vacuum, carbon filament incandescent lamp. However, the lack of good vacuum and an adequate electric source resulted in a short lifetime for the bulb and an inefficient light.
Fifteen years later, in 1875, Swan returned to consider the problem of the light bulb with the aid of a better vacuum and a carbonized thread as a filament. The most significant feature of Swan's lamp was that there was little residual oxygen in the vacuum tube to ignite the filament, thus allowing the filament to glow almost white-hot without catching fire.
Swan received a British patent for his device in 1878, about a year before Thomas Edison.

Starting that year he began installing light bulbs in homes and landmarks in England. In 1880, Swan gave the world's first large-scale public exhibition of electric lamps at Newcastle. In 1881 he had started his own company, The Swan Electric Light Company, and started commercial production. Later Swan teamed up with Edison for the commercial exploitation, using the trademark Edi-Swan.

Edison did not invent the first electric light bulb, but instead invented the first commercially practical incandescent light. Several designs had already been developed by earlier inventors including the patent he purchased from Henry Woodward and Mathew Evans, Moses G. Farmer, Joseph Swan, James Bowman Lindsay, William Sawyer, Humphry Davy, and Heinrich Göbel. Some of these early bulbs had such flaws as extremely short life, high expense to produce, and high current draw, making them difficult to apply on a large scale commercially. In 1878, Edison applied the term filament to the element of glowing wire carrying the current, although English inventor Joseph Swan had used the term prior to this. Edison took the features of these earlier designs and set his workers to the task of creating longer-lasting bulbs. By 1879, he had produced a new concept: a high resistance lamp in a very high vacuum, which would burn for hundreds of hours.

Loose rivets
24th Sep 2006, 05:56
By pure chance, there was a question on T/V here about who has patented the most inventions. Yes it was 'Im. a thousand it is said.

Aaaagh! What will the FSLsay?