PDA

View Full Version : AIP site-irritating

BigEndBob
19th Sep 2006, 21:49
Who designs some of these internet sites?
Why is the AIS site so irriating!
Every time i go to click on a subsection it shoots off before i have a chance to click on it.
Why can't they just list all the sub-section, instead its been turned into some kinda video game.

By the way, why can't i find North Weald in the aerodrome section?

And why does it say at the begining that the information provided is for flight planning purposes only.
what else am i going to do with the information!
At least the binders can be used as door stops!

Mike Cross
19th Sep 2006, 22:18
By the way, why can't i find North Weald in the aerodrome section?Same reason you won't find Popham. Because it's not a licensed aerodrome.

IO540
20th Sep 2006, 09:47
The AIS site is the way it is simply because it was developed by a commercial outfit which got paid to produce an "impressive" result.

The people that work in these firms tend to have a very narrow range of programming expertise (they usually have a very hard time if they are made redundant).

Often (and I am sure this is the case here) user interface methods get re-used for an application for whose nature it is completely inappropriate. When you look at the data the site actually carries and the functions it performs, it could be made a lot simpler and vastly quicker on loading.

A lot of the code has been bought-in from other parties. If you do View Source you can find (or could, last time I looked a few months ago) loads of very verbose copyright messages from the original author of that piece of code. Even the pulldown menus were bought in from somebody. Of course the poor b*gger who uses the site ends up downloading all this trash.

No excuse, but this is the world of corporate website development. You pay £200,000 and you get a job done to look like it's worth £200,000. It doesn't have to actually work very well, and probably won't. Look at any fancy consumer site, e.g. sony.com, they are all the same, bloated and nobody can find one's way around them.

Hampshire Hog
20th Sep 2006, 14:03
And why do I have to fill in a whole load of irrelevant data to obtain a pre-flight briefing?

I agree, the whole site could and should be made far more user friendly. It is no good just saying they'll show people how to use it. To achieve its safety objective, it must be made such that people can and want to use it. Every flight.

HH

Phoenix09
20th Sep 2006, 15:31
Try here (http://fly.dsc.net/u/Home) for a NOTAM site that works. :)

Hampshire Hog
20th Sep 2006, 16:01
Thanks Phoenix,

I use this, but I still think the AIS site should be as good.

HH