PDA

View Full Version : Stress Positions - In the news again

Lima Juliet
19th Sep 2006, 21:29
Just watching the News and those "nasty" stress-positions that most of us had to endure for 12 hours at Mountbatten or St Mawgan are being branded "in-humane". I must admit that they were unpleasant - but not really "in-humane". I would actually say they are a pretty humane method of making someone uncomfortable in order to make them think about whether it is worth not "spilling the beans".

Anyone think they're "in-humane"? Car bombs in market squares are more so in my mindset.

LJ

Still if you want a real stress position then put someone in a closed cell with BEagle for 4 hours and they'll sing like a canary ... just joshing with you mate ;)

Always_broken_in_wilts
19th Sep 2006, 21:40
Even worse would be 4 hours with an Tonka mate.........a stress position with one of them would no doubt turn into a real "pain" in the arse:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

SASless
19th Sep 2006, 21:49
Stress position?

Put me in a dentist's chair....and let the ghoul rev up his drill....now that is stress!

I need Novacain for a mirror exam!

Hang on a Mo'.....don't the prisoners at Gitmo get lots of dental care?

phil gollin
20th Sep 2006, 06:11
For the British it's an easy call - the various rulings of the UK and European Human Rights courts pretty much spelt out what is and what isn't acceptable.

For other countries it SHOULD be similar with relations to their laws and courts.

Pontius Navigator
20th Sep 2006, 06:55
Problem is you train people to resist interrogation by the bad guys using techniques that are at the grey fuzzy edge of the GC and they learn these techniques. Who is to say that their training was sufficiently thorough that they knew that they were not allowed to use them themselves?

The rules were quite specific. The methods used were only to be used by trained interregators under supervision. After being the object (or subject) of their physical arts who is to say that that lesson was learnt. May be others then learn at second hand.

Similarly prisoner handling is an art. Again, in the military context, maintain the shock of capture is one. Maybe lots of people pick up the principles by learned behaviour and not through specific training.

A good lawyer would, I hope, bring out issues such as prior R2I, Interrogation, and PH training or not.

One classic and regular failure to maintain shock of capture was at bases that operated F116s and F111 etc. Hooded, bound, manhandled, disorientated. Disorientated, no, every man around had a talking brick. The talking brick gave a running commentary where ones mates were and whether they were caught or still evading "He's climbing up the water tower".

Still that lesson appears learnt hence the headphones at gitmo.

Back to serious, how thorough it the squadie training I wonder. Probably an Arrse question.

BEagle
20th Sep 2006, 10:12
PN, OSA+N2K = STFU!!

:mad:

nigegilb
20th Sep 2006, 10:56
Hey does this mean we can all claim against our own Government for inhumane treatment on our RTI courses? The course I did ended up on the front page of the Sunday Times. The next day all courses were suspended for months. I seem to remember that a FJ mate lost a couple of toes, someone with a bad back passed out ( due to the wrong stress position), and Colt were put on alert because of spurious calls threatening to kill one of their pilots from our aircrew haters er I mean minders.

It was memorable in more ways than one.

charliegolf
20th Sep 2006, 11:34
Being a married chap, having 12 hours and 15mins (yeah I still remember exactly) of splendid isolation and 'only' white noise, not SWMBO, was like a half day for good behaviour.

CG

airborne_artist
20th Sep 2006, 11:41
12 hours - part-timers. We had to do 24 :E

nigegilb
20th Sep 2006, 11:42
The white noise was just like sitting on the flight deck in Albert.

Always_broken_in_wilts
20th Sep 2006, 17:03
"The white noise was just like sitting on the flight deck in Albert"

Nige,

There is no white noise on the J.........we simply took their seat out:p

Pontius Navigator
20th Sep 2006, 17:11
Dear STFU, not OSA dear boy, Garudian etc,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1212197,00.html
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Shock+of+Capture
http://talkleft.com/new_archives/009629.html

nigegilb
20th Sep 2006, 17:31
ABIW, I just spilt my coffee. That really was very funny.

SASless
20th Sep 2006, 18:54
Maybe no White Noise on the J....but now you can hear the constant whine of the Loadies in the back of the bus.

Always_broken_in_wilts
20th Sep 2006, 23:23
Gosh,

Imagine that........two independant chaps having a humourous discussion about nothing of any great consequence and along comes a nosy american and simply butts in..........................thank god their foreign policy is not like that or else the whole feckin world would be up in arms against them................................bl@@dy hell they are:eek: