PDA

View Full Version : internet explorer

REF
19th Sep 2006, 17:46
Hi

How do I make internet explorer my default internet browser?

Every time I click on a link on my microsoft outlook express email it opens up btinternet and I want to change it.

any ideas?

Dick Fisher
19th Sep 2006, 18:12
Open up Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" followed by "Internet Options", and the dialogue box should open with the "General" tab open. First item from the top states "home page". Select "use blank", or type in the address you'd like to use.

Then click "apply", "OK" and the job's done!

REF
19th Sep 2006, 18:20
Sorry, I probably didn't make myself as clear as I thought I did!!

I meant that when I click on a link on an email (using the microsoft outlook express) it opens up my BT Yahoo internet browser and not the internet explorer which is the browser that I use. How do I change it so that when I click on a link it opens up the internet explorer browser rather than BT yahoo browser?

Jhieminga
19th Sep 2006, 19:49
Someone else might be able to provide a better answer, but you could try this:
Go to 'Tools' - 'Internet Options' in IE, and click on the 'Programs' tab. At the bottom should be a tick box with 'Check if IE is standard browser' or something like that (My IE is not in English so I have to translate). Tick that box, click on Apply and OK. IE should then give you a warning next time you start it that it is not the default browser, and give you an option of correcting this.

cornwallis
19th Sep 2006, 23:37
May I suggest that you DO NOT download IE7RC.I was foolish enough to do this and found that it was in-compatable with my isp.My system has not been the same since!I suggest you use MOzilla

BombayDuck
20th Sep 2006, 06:11
Someone else might be able to provide a better answer, but you could try this:
Go to 'Tools' - 'Internet Options' in IE, and click on the 'Programs' tab. At the bottom should be a tick box with 'Check if IE is standard browser' or something like that (My IE is not in English so I have to translate). Tick that box, click on Apply and OK. IE should then give you a warning next time you start it that it is not the default browser, and give you an option of correcting this.

as he said.

To be precise:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/Flanker30MKI/ss.jpg

that should help :) or click the button above that says "Reset Web Settings" but it would reset a lot of other settings so I wouldn't advise that.

bacardi walla
20th Sep 2006, 07:09
Open up Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" followed by "Internet Options", and the dialogue box should open with the "General" tab open. First item from the top states "home page". Select "use blank", or type in the address you'd like to use.
Then click "apply", "OK" and the job's done!

That doesn't work for me !

REF
20th Sep 2006, 21:37
none of the ideas so far have worked, any further suggestions?

iandanescourt
20th Sep 2006, 21:40
What about uninstalling your bt browser ?

vapilot2004
21st Sep 2006, 01:56
To clarify, when you say "opens up btinternet " is this a dial-up/connection window or some other programme or are you referring to the BTI home page that appears in Internet Explorer when it opens ?

If it is not the page appearing in IE try again what BombayDuck proposed and use the following amplified procedure from Microsoft.

The key will be to start IE from the Start Menu or desktop shortcut right after you check the "IE should check to see whether it is the default browser check box". Then when the default browser prompt appears:

1. Un-check the Always perform this check when starting up check box
2. Click Yes to make it the default browser

MORE INFORMATION
To configure Internet Explorer as your default Web browser, start Internet Explorer, and then click Yes when the following message is displayed:
Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Would you like to make it your default browser?
If you do not want Internet Explorer to be the default browser, click No. To prevent this message from being displayed again, click to clear the Always perform this check when starting up check box before you click No.

By default, Internet Explorer verifies if it is the default browser each time it starts. If Internet document (HTML) files are associated with a different browser when Internet Explorer starts, Internet Explorer recognizes that it is not the default browser and prompts you to make it the default browser.

If your earlier version of Internet Explorer had not been configured as the default browser, Internet Explorer is not automatically configured as the default browser and the preceding message is displayed. If you do not enable Internet Explorer to configure itself as the default browser, the message is displayed each time you start Internet Explorer until you click to clear the Always perform this check when starting up check box.

To manually configure Internet Explorer as the default browser, use the steps in one of the following sections, depending upon your version of Internet Explorer.
Back to the top

Internet Explorer 2.x
1. Start Internet Explorer. On the View menu, click Options.
2. Click the Advanced tab and click to select the On startup, perform check for default browser check box.
3. Click OK.
4. Quit and re-start Internet Explorer. Then when you are prompted to make it the default browser, click Yes.

Back to the top

Internet Explorer 3.x, 4.x, 5.x
1. Open Control Panel and double-click Internet Options.
2. Click the Programs tab.
3. Click to select the Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser check box.
4. Click OK.
5. Start Internet Explorer and when you are prompted to make it the default browser, click Yes.

REF
21st Sep 2006, 18:45
I've done what iandanescourt and uninstalled the bt browser and that has done the trick.

Thanks for your help