PDA

View Full Version : Charity Flights - A Different Question

J.A.F.O.
19th Sep 2006, 07:18
Not the normal question about giving flights for charity.

If you were going to do a flight that raised money for charity, whether it be around the equator or around your local area - kind of like a sponsored walk but higher up - what licence would you need.

Is the flight for reward even if it's not for your own reward?

bookworm
19th Sep 2006, 07:25
I'm at a loss to see how this isn't the "normal question"!

Is the flight for reward even if it's not for your own reward?

Yes, exactly. A charity flight is an aerial work flight requiring at least a CPL, unless it meets the exceptions set out in the relevant AIC or has specific permission from the CAA. Provided the flight is well planned and is a good-faith charity effort, I doubt that you would have difficulty obtaining such permission.

drauk
19th Sep 2006, 09:30
I'm at a loss to see how this isn't the "normal question"!

That was my reaction too!

However, having read it about three times, maybe the question is about doing "like a sponsored walk". i.e. nobody but the pilot is onboard and he is flying X miles because a load of people have sponsored him to 10 pence a mile to do so.

Sounds like a good gig if you can get it!

bookworm
19th Sep 2006, 10:55
However, having read it about three times, maybe the question is about doing "like a sponsored walk". i.e. nobody but the pilot is onboard and he is flying X miles because a load of people have sponsored him to 10 pence a mile to do so.

Makes no difference. If donors make payments to a charity in respect of the flight or the purpose of the flight, it's aerial work unless covered by the charity flight exemption which requires CAA permission, either specific or generic (the AIC (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4W114.PDF)). The AIC sets out restrictions for both passenger-carrying and non-passenger-carrying charity flights, though the former are obviously much stricter.

distaff_beancounter
19th Sep 2006, 14:47
J.A.F.O.
Rules are not that onerous per AIC 79/2005. You did need to be carrying out the flight for a registered charity, with the total proceeds going to that charity, but you do not have to apply to the CAA for permission, unless you cannot comply with that AIC.
Current requirements for flights in Aeroplanes (excluding microlights) are:-
Pilot Valid PPL + aircraft type or class rating: 100 hours PIC: 10 hours on type
Aircraft Valid Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly
Aerodromes Do not have to be licenced
Weather conditions In accordance with pilot's licence privileges
Operating Limitations None

Good Luck :)

stiknruda
19th Sep 2006, 15:21
Are you sure about a/c on permits?

vintage ATCO
19th Sep 2006, 17:27
Permit acft are OK if not carrying passengers (see annex 1 of the AIC). It was rumoured that Permit acft were going to be OK for passenger flights but have heard nothing more.

J.A.F.O.
19th Sep 2006, 18:19
Thanks everybody, sorry if I didn't explain myself too clearly - I don't do mornings. It's not anything imminent, just a vague idea.

Cheers.