PDA

View Full Version : Crashing Hard Drive

wiccan
18th Sep 2006, 23:45
Help.
The g/fs HDD is corrupt and repeatedly crashes.
The HDD is widows xp [installed by the shop].
We try the windows xp disc to "recover", and we have an earlier version....no can do...TSB..
My [later x 18 months] xp says no, my sons' [24 months] says no.
What do I do?
Get a new HDD?
Get a "programme" to 'format' the HDD?
Buy a new PC?

bb

bjkeates
19th Sep 2006, 01:28
The course of action you take would depend on your specification and set up. Far more information is needed than you've provided.

For example, is it a laptop or desktop? Make and model? Factory-built or shop (custom spec) built? What type of hard drive is it? Can you start the machine in Safe Mode? Have you contacted the shop to iron out the discrepancy between the version of Windows the computer thinks it has installed and the one provided for on your recovery CD? How old is the system? Is it still in warranty?

If the hard drive is physically faulty, then the only option is to replace it. More likely, however, something's got corrupted somewhere and just needs sorting out. You shouldn't have to buy a new PC, but if it's an old system and is slow running anyway it might be worth it.

Mac the Knife
19th Sep 2006, 01:53
Get a new OS - Here (http://www.ubuntu.com/)

ORAC
19th Sep 2006, 04:10
You need to build an XP-SP2 recovery disk using slipstream. See here (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1750661,00.asp) or just search on XP slipstream.

vapilot2004
19th Sep 2006, 04:39
Place the drive in another computer that has up-to-date anti-virus software and back up your files and data. Most of the average user's data is contained on the windows drive (usually c) in folders within Documents and Settings.

This area contains all users My Documents, My Pictures, Favourites (If you use Internet Explorer) Emails and Address Books (for Outlook and Outlook Express users) and the Desktop files if there were no custom placement of these folders.

Verify your backup to ensure you have all of your critical files. Then put the drive back into your PC, and check it with the hard disk manufacturer's diagnostic software.(get it on the manufacturer's website from working PC) If there are no hardware indications of a failing drive, a reformat and do a Windows reinstall using your original XP disk. This should bring you back up.

You may need drivers from your computer manufacturer's website for your Audio, Video, Network Card and some other motherboard resources if you do not have the driver CD from when the machine was new - not all come with this and the website would have the latest drivers for free.

If your XP disk is older than a few years, you may want to build the slipstream disk per ORAC (not easy for average user) or download the SP2 package complete from Microsoft and install this update wholesale.

You may also want to, after backup up your data, wish to take the thing to the shop and for the cost of a good dinner and wine for 2, the folks will have it back working for you in a few days. :)

Good Luck !