View Full Version : MS Project 2003

Blueskyrich
18th Sep 2006, 16:42
Hello one and all,

Been trying to setup a study plan on the above programme for what I hope to be the last module of my ATPL study.

I've popped all the tasks on the lists, broken down into chapters, worksheets and assessments, entered the time it takes for each and then popped in the predecessors so that I must have finished other items of work first before I can move onto the next chapters etc.

However, I'm now stuck. I'm not totally sure what to do next. At the moment, I've set myself up as a resource and assigned myself to all the tasks. However, it has got me working on the 5 different groups of work at the same time.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get the software to allocate the work in order so that I do each task in order, with its own allocated time and so that it is pencilled in on the basis that the predecessors attached to the task have been completed?

Yours in complete despair,

Bluesky. :confused:

slim_slag
18th Sep 2006, 17:08
My tip would be to delete the software from your PC :) MS PRoject is overkill for this sort of thing. What does your course provider do?

Spitoon
18th Sep 2006, 18:14
Another tip, how did you get through the rest of your ATPL modules? Then do the same thing for this one.

Blueskyrich
18th Sep 2006, 18:17
It was just tooooo tempting to resist!

I'm one of these people who see something that could be used and despite the glaringly obvious fact that it'll take ages longer, I decide to use it anyway.

On that basis, you'll find it no surprise that I currently work for the NHS....

Have used a good old fashioned pen and paper before - guess I got a bit too clever this time... :}

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Sep 2006, 21:25
However, it has got me working on the 5 different groups of work at the same time.
Oh, they've fixed that have they?

Jolly good. I gave up using MS Project years ago because you couldn't have someone working on several things at once, even though you knew perfectly well that that's what happens every day on real projects. Now I know it can do that I'll have another look!

Mac the Knife
19th Sep 2006, 01:49
No wonder the NHS is in trouble!

:ok:

slim_slag
19th Sep 2006, 07:05
How true Mac. I've never ever seen MS Project actually make things easier, the project becomes a slave to the software instead of the end user's erquirements, partly explains why there is so much poor management around, IMO.

ChopperRich
19th Sep 2006, 07:30
Blueskyrich - try linking the tasks. That way, no dependent task can start before its predecessor has been completed.
CR