PDA

View Full Version : Post Titles

Avtur
18th Sep 2006, 15:28
As an NCA luddite on his 22 nd year in the RAF, I am finding great difficulty with the rebranded RAF/Joint post titles, eg A3, L1, J2, A1a, FSW, BSW, A2 O blah..etc, etc. I found such titles as OC Admin, OC Ops, OC PSF, OC Morale etc to be quite explicit and knew exactly who I was going to be dealing with.

Would someone please provide me with the decode to this nonsense, if it is nonsense, and perhaps suggest whether anyone else has found this "coding" to be helpful or a hinderance.

Spelling errors to be reported to S2a.

F34/35

Wader2
18th Sep 2006, 15:35
They lost me when they went to SO.

Took me all my time to remember the NATO O/E list.

Climebear
18th Sep 2006, 16:26
The decode for Staff Branches a was givein the CINC STC's Bulletin in Feb 06 (this show's that our Internal Comms is as effective as ever).

A1 - Personnel & Administration
A2 – Intelligence
A3 - Operations
A4 – Logistics
A5 - Contingency Planning/Plans
A6 - Communications & Information Systems
A7 - Doctrine & Training
A8 - Resources & Finances
A9 - Secretariat

As for the letters - A = Air Force HQ; G = Land HQ; N = Maritime HQ; J = Joint HQ

The SO element refers to the rank of the post holder: SO1 = cdr/lt col/wg cdr; SO2 = lt cdr/maj/sqn ldr; SO3 = lt/capt/flt lt.

So someone who is SO2 A4 would be a sqn ldr loggie staff officer in an Air Force or an Air Component HQ.

See - it's simple really :ugh:

Pontius Navigator
18th Sep 2006, 17:33
And what, exactly, was wrong with sqn ldr loggie?

If at an Air HQ he was one thing and a JHQ someat else. Obvious?

L J R
18th Sep 2006, 19:05
I know that some of you out there really care about this sort of stuff, and it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask for an explaination of same, but WHO REALLY CARES!

JessTheDog
18th Sep 2006, 19:12
What a load of nonsense! :rolleyes:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
18th Sep 2006, 21:42
Simple;

a. it's jointery

b. it's NATO

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
18th Sep 2006, 21:45
PS.

It's the future, today!

Almost_done
18th Sep 2006, 21:56
Or the longer and more flowery the title the bigger the ego? :ugh:

buoy15
18th Sep 2006, 22:31
I am "HAAPIS, GINI, LEM, PGEW, PCU , D&MF, NMP, AG (Rtd)"
So there! Phone gets connected next week, hopefully

Decode available on request!

And a good choice of "N" for Maritime eh? Naval influence or what?

tablet_eraser
18th Sep 2006, 22:37
In the last few months here, OC Ops has become COS Ops, OC Admin has become COS Support, COMMCEN has become CIS Ops... what difference has this made? We've spent money on pretty new signs to put outside Admin Sqn (Support HQ), and on the doors of countless worthies. The name-changes make f**k-all difference...

SO WHY ARE WE DOING IT???

Brian Abraham
19th Sep 2006, 03:23
Its to confuse the enemy. If you are confused spare a thought for them. :confused:

Wader2
19th Sep 2006, 11:16
In the last few months here, OC Ops has become COS Ops, OC Admin has become COS Support, COMMCEN has become CIS Ops... what difference has this made? We've spent money on pretty new signs to put outside Admin Sqn (Support HQ), and on the doors of countless worthies. The name-changes make f**k-all difference...

SO WHY ARE WE DOING IT???

And Civilian Personnel Officer is Civil Admin no matter how much she doth protest.:}

And OC Admin? Still handbrake house

teeteringhead
20th Sep 2006, 08:42
PSF becoming HRF is the one that really gets me.......:ugh:

Wader2
20th Sep 2006, 09:19
Shame that Human Asset Management did not catch on.

HAMF (ist)