PDA

View Full Version : Age discrimination laws

Saintsman
18th Sep 2006, 09:15
With the new age discrimination laws due to come into effect next month, I wonder how this is going to affect airlines and holidays.

At the moment, under 12s get significant discounts when flying but (iaw with the new laws?) is this discriminating over 12s? After all, it's still a bum on a seat.

I don't know what the new laws are really but if they do apply are we going to see prices rise so they are all the same - they never come down do they!

Its not just airlines but all sorts of other things too. Have the government really thought this out or are we going to find havoc created?

striparella
18th Sep 2006, 17:47
I think the law just applies to your employees in terms of discriminating against age/seniority.

From what i understand one of the main reasons it was brought it in was to stop 'last in first out' redundancies.

I supose if you run a business, you can charge whoever whatever you like!

SXB
18th Sep 2006, 19:21
The new age discrimination laws, in the UK, to be introduced in October don't cover goods and services, they cover employment and education.

There are many examples where older people are discriminated against when dealing with goods and services, normally related to health and insurance products. On the positive side they are positively discriminated against in some other services like car insurance, where one could also say young people are discriminated against. None of this is illegal, nor should it be.

My organisation looked at this new law, even though we are not bound by it, because we discriminate against certain age groups. We do not, generally, employ people under 30 years old (for K jobs, tech and admin) and 35 (for CD jobs, management) If we were bound by this law we would be prosecuted for age discrimination.