PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain Cocktail Party

allan907
17th Sep 2006, 15:35
As it is definitely that time of year, p'raps tis time to recall BoB cocktail party tales.

At Wittering I had a bit of an 'up and downer' with the local Barclays bank manager who was charging extortionate bank charges on the non public account. I mentioned the fact that the public account was pushing millions of pounds per year through his bank and that might be good enough reason to cancel charges on the non-public account. All too difficult. I then told him that we were happy to transfer both accounts to Lloyds who were happy to get the custom and cancel any charges. Still too difficult.

Changed accounts.

Following year's BoB cocktail party and I had included the new Lloyds bank manager's details on the guest list but had obviously missed the previous Barclay's man.

He turned up. I recognised him vaguely, not placing name with face and job, and asked how things were going.

"I'm not working for Barclays anymore," he said, and muttered something about driving a truck for a living!

ORAC
17th Sep 2006, 16:06
No, no, no Annual Reception. Not allowed to mention the war because the losers might get upset....

allan907
17th Sep 2006, 16:17
Bugger that - don't invite Germans (unless they can take a joke):E

Maple 01
17th Sep 2006, 18:19
And who put Hauptmann Drier in charge of the B0fB celebrations at a well-know and recently defunct radar station in the 1980s?

reallydeskbound
17th Sep 2006, 18:33
Bugger that - don't invite Germans (unless they can take a joke):E
Reminds me of a story of when the Battle of Britan Cocktail Party invites were going out from RAF Gatow (Berlin for those of you with little experience) - the Mayor of Berlin responded to his invite with polite regrets but with the rider that if the Mess ever had a Battle of Dunkirk Party he would be more than happy to attend ;)

BEagle
17th Sep 2006, 18:59
On 56(F), the 2 German exchange officers used to hold an extremely good 'Loser's Party' after the Cockers P!

Pontius Navigator
17th Sep 2006, 19:29
I don't think we have a BoB cocktail party any more. Move it to better light sunny evening and get rid of the klingons before the aftermath party.

OTOH many messes now hav a BoB Guest Night one of which Raymond Baxter, and many other BoB pilots were invited.

MrBernoulli
17th Sep 2006, 20:22
Slightly off-post but a good 'German' link:

We had a good honourary Sqn member during my days on 55 at Marham. He was actually an (exchange) EngO on the Tornado servicing unit or suchlike - a Luftwaffe Capt named Wolfgang. Great party animal and always led the singing of Lili Marlene at the mess dining dos. 55 snaffled him as an honorary member when NONE of the 3 residential Tornado sqns bothered!

Riotous days indeed!