PDA

View Full Version : Treatment of Wounded Servicemen..

ORAC
17th Sep 2006, 14:55
The Sunday Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/17/ntroops17.xml) Injured troops put into mixed civilian wards

.........Before the strategic defence review that followed the end of the Cold War in the early 1990s, there were seven military hospitals. But under a programme entitled "Defence Cost Study 15" in 1994, all but one were closed. Royal Hospital Haslar, in Portsmouth, survived but is now being mothballed and is due to close next year when the site will be sold to a developer.

After the closure of the service hospitals, special military wards were created in a number of NHS hospitals which were manned by Forces medical staff. But the MoD has confirmed that this policy has been abandoned because staff shortages and the so-called high tempo of operations made them "unsustainable".

Dr Fox called for changes to be made immediately, and said: "Those who are injured on active service deserve to recover, not only from their injuries but the trauma that they have endured, in security and dignity." And Patrick Mercer, the shadow minister for homeland security and a former infantry commander, said: "Soldiers need their own military wards when they are recovering from war wounds. Anything less is a betrayal."

An MoD spokesman said: "The Secretary of State believes that improvements could and should be made to the overall healthcare package currently on offer to troops who are wounded while on operations. His view is that, where possible, military-managed wards within NHS hospitals offer an ideal environment…Therefore he has asked officials to look into this and further details will be announced in due course."...........

Tigs2
17th Sep 2006, 15:16
The military go to great lengths to look after our wounded, but often it is taken out of their hands, due to lack of resources, at which point the care offered is the same as to any other NHS patient, which is quite often shocking.
This is not good enough for our war wounded. They should have a secure, private environment, staffed with medical personnel who have understanding and empathy of the situation they have been in. yet another cost cutting exercise in an area that saves little, yet affects the morale of our people so much. I dont have much confidence in the Secretary asking people to 'look in to it'. It looks like the writings on the wall.

SASless
17th Sep 2006, 15:16
I was one of the "wounded" during Vietnam and have an insight into some of the psychological issues brought on by such an experience.

During my time in the Burn Ward of Camp Zama Army Hospital in Japan, I saw some very horribly injured soldiers but also some of the highest morale and espirit I encountered in my military service. Despite being total strangers, we all sought to help the less fortunate and forged a bond that transcended rank, branch of service, and unit.

The casualty evacuation process, although concerned for the welfare of the wounded, remains a cold process. I believe most of the wounded will at some point develop the feeling that they are a 'burden" to the system and the goal of the system is to move the individual from the combat zone to civilian life, and upon completing that process, the goal has been accomplished.

That is not a slight to the nurses, doctors, and others who give aid to the wounded but rather to the bureaucratic system itself.

I find it beyond belief the MOD cannot fund, operate, and provide a health care system for the Military that provides first class care and treatment for those that went into Harm's Way for the country.

Perhaps, a visit to Walter Reed Army Hospital, Brooks Army Medical Center (Burn Center), and Bethesda Navy Hospital would provide the MOD with some idea of how the wounded should be taken care of. They do wonderful work at those facilities and the troops treated there get First Class treatment within a military facility.

After our military service, the Veteran's Administration (VA) continue caring for those with service related injuries, illnesses, and health care, as well as providing pensions and compensation for those wounds/injuries.

Tommy deserves the same from the UK.

desertnail
17th Sep 2006, 15:26
All military hospitals closed then.

While I feel the UK military has never really been valued it is saddening to see how truly real this is now.

The price of everything, the value of nothing.

Tigs2
17th Sep 2006, 15:28
SASless
the one thing that the US military have always excelled at, is the attitude of looking after their troops. The facilities provided, the healthcare systems etc are second to none. I have been in many a part of the world living in relative squalor while we looked on in envy to our US work partners being provided with the best facilities possible for the environment they were in. Sadly the Brit government will never even try to go that bit further, their attitude is 'your paid the Queen's shilling, now get on with it laddie'.

We are possibly the worlds worst modern fighting force when it comes to government attitudes to looking after our people, i don't think it will change, thats why we always sneak in to the US facilities at any opportunity:)

SASless
17th Sep 2006, 17:28
When it comes to looking after the wounded and killed...there is no greater obligation in my view.

An example of how we see things in that regard...on a local level...as a member of the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars, we participate in numerous activities that assist other veterans.

Our two posts send packages to troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, raise money for local charities, assist indigent veterans, volunteer at the Veterans Hospital, provide funds to buy needed items for hospitalized vets, and sponsor scholarships for students. We attend funerals of members, and when invited funerals for the folks killed in action in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of our most active groups is the American Legion Riders (ALR) which is a group of Motorcycle Riders who participate in events in the area to include "Rolling Thunder" and "Patriot Riders". The AL and VFW also provide Honour Guards who perform the Military Funeral rites by providing Pall Bearers and Firing Party. The AL and VFW also maintain a corps of Service Officers who assist Veterans in applying for military and VA benefits and in conducting appeals on unfavorable decisions.

We also drink a lot of beer and tell more than a few lies as well.

It's Not Working
17th Sep 2006, 17:29
All military hospitals closed then.
While I feel the UK military has never really been valued it is saddening to see how truly real this is now.
The price of everything, the value of nothing.
To put an ever-so-slight personal view on things I injured myself in the gym in February and am not expecting the corrective surgery to repair the damage until November at the earliest - compliments of the NHS. While Primary Medical (and Dental) Care remains as good as it gets when it comes to Secondary Medical Care I would say that the Armed Forces have washed their hands of us. Like my SMO and Stn Cdr (both have told me first hand) I now have medical insurance.

Nine months of discomfort/pain - who cares?

brickhistory
17th Sep 2006, 17:45
One of our most active groups is the American Legion Riders (ALR) which is a group of Motorcycle Riders who participate in events in the area to include "Rolling Thunder" and "Patriot Riders".

You cannot describe accurately how impressive/thunderous the sight/sound of the bikers descending upon Washington, DC is!

I am not a fan of the many political/social events that snarl up DC traffic for hours upon end, and am not even a big motorcycle fan, but damn, the 'thunder' rumbles into one's innards. A welcome sight/sound.

And as long as I'm on it, there are fairly regular flyby's of Arlington cemetary to honor deceased aviation servicemembers. Haven't seen a Spit, but the sight of an F-15 or -16 with a P-51 in the lead is pretty cool.
A low-level B-52 over the town is a wonder, even a missing man four-ship of A-10s can bring a lump into the throat.......

(edited to add: Sorry for the thread creep.)

ChristopherRobin
17th Sep 2006, 18:21
Remember that those that get back to UK are the 'lucky' ones. Don't forget that not only do we not have enough helicopters in Iraq/Afghanistan, we also have precisely ZERO dedicated medevac aircraft that are equipped for emergency life support like the UH-60Q (http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/uh-60q-image013.jpg)is.

British squaddies can spend the golden hour bleeding out on the floor of a bog-standard helicopter if they're lucky enough to get one to medevac them at all.

and that, my friends, really is a national disgrace.

TacEval Inject
17th Sep 2006, 19:42
Whoa there ChristopherRobin!

British squaddies can spend the golden hour bleeding out on the floor of a bog-standard helicopter if they're lucky enough to get one to medevac them at all.

Thats not strictly true. I do agree that we don't have the UH-60Qs, and that the ac are standard not fitted as such, but all casevac rw assets in Iraq are kitted out with the required tools of the trade, as well as having the medical crew. As for the line, 'if they are lucky enough', that's just not on! The medevac crews are on constant readiness the whole time, and one of, if not ,THE the most important tasks, is to maintain this cover. As I see it, you can't get much better than that, no matter which government pays the wages.
TI

Tigs2
17th Sep 2006, 20:59
Its Not Working
Cost of everything Value of Nothing. HMG is now content that you may not be fully fit for duty for months courtesy of NHS.

Christopher Robin
Agreed we dont have dedicated mediheli assets, but while you are in the hands of the Mil they will pull out all the stops to help you. The problem is on repatriation we hand you over to the NHS. They're paid a minimum wage and you are just another punter, same as the gang land yob in Brummy thats just been shot. The value of what SASless was talking about, all like minded people, same organisation, offering unparralled support and camaraderie in a secure mil environment cannot be underestimated in both the Physiological and Psychological healing process.