PDA

View Full Version : 150th Anniversary of the VC

Navaleye
17th Sep 2006, 13:14
I'm pleased to read that the post office is marking an anniversary that would otherwise be forgotten in our new PC climate. I'm very pleased they chose Albert Ball and Boy Cornwell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/17/nvc17.xml

Lima Juliet
17th Sep 2006, 18:14
Not so forgotten old boy. I joined some living VC and GC winners for a touching 150th anniversary parade at Westminster Abbey the other month - the BBC even televised it.

The Prince of Wales attended along with CDS and CAS (and lowlifes such as myself).

LJ

thing
17th Sep 2006, 22:45
Bloody hell, Boy Cornwell was only 16?!! The mind boggles. Mind you, my Grandad used to tell me of boys in WW1 when he was at the front who were only 14. They lied about their age obviously but the army didn't exactly move heaven and earth to find out the true age of these lads, some of whom were shot for 'cowardice'. Can you imagine boys who are in year 9 at school now being allowed to fight in Iraq?

MrBernoulli
18th Sep 2006, 10:43
I can think of some little ****s in "who are in year 9 at school" who should be MADE to fight in Iraq. That would kick the stuffing out of the little ASBO-collectors who think wearing a baseball cap, baggy trousers and talking like a 'gangsta' Łuckwit is clever.

And talking of VCs, I'm glad that one doesn't have to be dead anymore to get one! There was a spell around Falklands war and after where they all seemed to be posthumous.

Hoop Stress
18th Sep 2006, 14:28
Well said Mr.B.

I can think of a few little $hits who should at least have the opportunity to win one.

teeteringhead
20th Sep 2006, 08:46
Surprised they failed to mention that Chavasse and Upham are two of only three to receive VC and bar!!!. Respect!

The third was Martin-Leake. Interestingly both he and Chavasse were RAMC who received both awards for life saving under (much) fire. I'll try and find a link......

[Edited to add:]

Martin-Leake got one in Boer War and one in WW1

Chavasse got both in WW1 - Somme and Paeschendale (and an MC at Ypres!)

Charles Upham (a Kiwi) got both in WW2, one in Crete one in North Africa.

Details here. (http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/2093.htm)

henry crun
20th Sep 2006, 09:01
teeteringhead: The Telegraph article does say that Noel Chavasse and Charles Upham feature on the stamps.

teeteringhead
20th Sep 2006, 10:11
The Telegraph article does say that Noel Chavasse and Charles Upham feature on the stamps. Yes, apologies for the confusion - I did notice that they were featured but meant that there was no mention of their (nearly) unique achievement of the double award....