PDA

View Full Version : Off to Afghanistan

Ned-Air2Air
15th Sep 2006, 21:11
Well guys am off tonight on what I would say is my best adventure so far. :ok:

Leave here in the morning for flight to Dubai, then next day into Kabul where we join up with the INL Air Wing guys and their Huey IIs. Do a couple of flights out of there and then its down to Khandahar for the next four days where we go flying with them on a variety of tasks.

I should have some awesome images to post on Rotorheads when we get back. The Dept of State guys have been awesome to work with, and welcome the exposure of their operation in Afghanistan. So watch this thread for updates from that trip.

Cheers

Ned :ok:

MightyGem
15th Sep 2006, 21:19
Take care Ned. Look forward to the piccies.

SIBUK
15th Sep 2006, 21:48
Sounds awesome =) All the best to you man.

rotorspin
15th Sep 2006, 22:18
god bless mate

look forward to seeing the pics! ;)

Steve76
16th Sep 2006, 01:21
Keep your eye out for Skippy in the Pacific 212.
...and al queda.
both are equally as hazardous to your health :)

NickLappos
16th Sep 2006, 01:31
Have fun, Ned! I envy your life style!!

BlenderPilot
16th Sep 2006, 01:32
Don't forget to get all the mobile phone numbers or emails of all the hot chicks you meet, tell them a little about me, you know stuff like I'm a nice guy and stuff like that. ;)

Good Luck take care, I am really looking forward 2 your images!!!

rick1128
16th Sep 2006, 01:37
Most of your photos are just going to be of mountains, snow, goats, mud building full of bullet holes and blue ghosts.

B Sousa
16th Sep 2006, 01:46
Dont forget to sit on your Chickenplate.

Also there is a big Difference between, IUDs and IEDs

TukTuk BoomBoom
16th Sep 2006, 06:36
Wow Ned, is this where your fan club meets??

Theres plenty of guys in Afganistan doing it all day with no fanfare.
You dont see posts from guys saying, hey im off to my 3rd tour in Iraq.

get over yourself

Ned-Air2Air
16th Sep 2006, 07:29
Hey Fuk Fuk Wank Wank - Screw yourself. I made a post saying I was going over there to do a story, nothing more nothing less. Show me where I big noted myself. All I said was I should get some great photos to post here.

Your post just shows what an asshole you are.

bondu
16th Sep 2006, 11:03
Well said, Ned!!

Take care and all the best to ALL the guys out there!

bondu :ok:

B Sousa
16th Sep 2006, 11:04
Tuk and Boom
So much for your Ned Fan Club Membership..........

Im certainly looking forward to some great photos, and if anyone can get them Ned will.

TukTuk BoomBoom
16th Sep 2006, 12:12
Once again for the self confessed fan club....

Lots of guys out there doing it without the "...my best adventure so far " crap.

Do you guys get a free "i love ned" shirt as well??

ShyTorque
16th Sep 2006, 12:56
What's up, Tuk?

There's almost always someone who has been there before and already has the tee shirt, from first trial lesson onwards to flying round the world.

Why not just chill out and leave the guy alone?

If you've got a camera and know how to use it why don't you post a few pics yourself?

inmate
16th Sep 2006, 14:51
Well Ned now some have their knickers in a twist arn't you glad you posted!!
Have a safe trip.
Skippy in Afganistan,oh lordy its no wonder the tide is turning. How many past PNGers are helping in the war effort!!!!!
TTBB, hey mate ease up, we all do appreciate what sacrafices are made in the name of freedom and that includes all country particpants, and we will not forget but you went just a bit over the top. Deep breath have another SP beer (man that stuffs vile):yuk:

One more note, remember Mark Burdorf who died in Afganistan helping others, he was to my knowledge the first civillian helicopter pilot killed there, a great guy.

Again be safe Ned.

paco
16th Sep 2006, 15:02
Y'know Ned, I hate people who flower things up and don't say what they mean! :)

There's a cold one waiting at the bar here - make sure you live to drink it!

phil

MD900 Explorer
16th Sep 2006, 15:19
Ned,

Nice one, enjoy yourself down there and be safe. :ok:

Looking forward to the awesome standard of photography that is associated with your pictures. :D

There will definately be a cold one waiting for you when you get home. :ok:

TTBB

From whichever rock you crawled out from, please crawl back. Ned is a legend here and his fan club is a big one. Grow up. :=

Regards

MD :ok:

SASless
16th Sep 2006, 17:54
Ned,

Say HI to Chuck when you see him at the Airport! Ask to see his kiddy's photo if he doesn't have it in hand (somewhat proud Dad he is...).

Ned-Air2Air
16th Sep 2006, 19:07
Phil - Certainly will catch up for a brewski.

SASLess - Chuck is meeting us at the airport and will be having a drink with him there.

ShyTorque - Not sure whats eating TTBB aka FFWW and dont really care. If I was a pilot going back there again for another tour saying look at me look at me, then yeah I could understand his comments. But for christ sake I am a publisher going somewhere unique for the first time (for me) to do a story that promotes what the guys there are doing and to give them some credit and recognition.

But I suppose it takes all sorts to make the world run doesnt it. His type included. :D :D

NickLappos
16th Sep 2006, 19:42
I am reminded that one of my personal heroes, Andy Rooney of "60 Minutes" was a correspondant in WWII, and flew 10 missions in a B-17 over Germany armed with a pencil and a notebook. The guts it takes to step into some mess and just report it is a different kind of guts that if you step up to it and actually get to shoot back. Both are very very commendable, and both are different from each other.

CYHeli
17th Sep 2006, 07:47
TTBB, I hope that you have figured out who Ned (Nev) is? He's the guy who's going to tell everyone else what a great job that you are doing. Okay he's press and get's it all for free. Yeah right!
Remember magazines are a great recruiter for aviation, military and civil. He sells a dream that you are now living. Make some peace brother.

SASless
17th Sep 2006, 14:17
Throw in the fact it is a darn good magazine with probably the best photography around involving helicopters makes it all the more appropriate.

Also consider the fact he is going to a tuff neighborhood to take the photos.

Robo Squirrel
17th Sep 2006, 14:43
Go well Ned. Eagerly awaiting more helicopter photos.

BTW this is also my first post on PPrune.

B Sousa
17th Sep 2006, 16:13
Maybe you have to realize where TTBB is coming from. His "Location" is listed as Vietnam.
So hes probably commenting from some dive with a fan in the corner blowing more hot air at this computer with humidity running about 100%. Some fine looking chick with Beetle Nut Teeth is smiling back at him and would no doubt scare the hell out of a normal person if the lights were up to 100 watts.
I think hes just jealous of Ned....

SASless
17th Sep 2006, 17:13
Remove the computer and I think it is De Ja Vu all over again for some of us, eh Bert?:E

007helicopter
17th Sep 2006, 17:39
"Throw in the fact it is a darn good magazine with probably the best photography around involving helicopters makes it all the more appropriate"

Which magazine is it ?

Good luck Ned, look forward to seeing some pics reading how you get on.

NickLappos
17th Sep 2006, 18:51
pprune decorum prevvents any commercial activity in the forum, I have pm'd you the mag web site, 007helicopter!

Ned-Air2Air
18th Sep 2006, 06:57
Well made it as far as Dubai so far. Catching up with Hank from the Royal Flight for a drink later on and hopefully will make it for the flight to Kabul in the morning.

With regards to TTBB, let him have his little bitching session. If it makes him feel that much better then let him go for it.

Me, I am looking forward to this trip. We have been working on it for a long time and its awesome that its all come together. As much as helicopter pilots have their place in the helo industry so do people like myself and my writers and photographers. We give the industry a way to show everyone what they do and where they do it. How else would anyone know about Hurricane Katrina, the Tsunami Relief ops or the Pakistan Earthquake relief operations. Publications as well as websites like pprune give the helo industry an opportunity to showcase itself.

Anyway thats just my two cents worth. Once I get some photos processed I will try and post a few here in the thread.

Regards

Ned

Sammie_nl
18th Sep 2006, 12:09
If you can, try to sneak in a little interview with some of the guys flying Hips out there. For the sake of comparison it will be interesting to read their experiences as well. Good luck on your trip and safe landings

RotorSwede
18th Sep 2006, 18:13
Interesting thread ... for us who are not that familiar with helis in Afghanistan, could someone more informed write a few lines what the civilian operators do there ? Is it just those "blackwater security" type companies flying "advisors" or more normal work aswell ?

best regards

RotorSwede

SASless
18th Sep 2006, 18:39
Nick,

Clean out yer post box....PM's getting bounced.

Ned-Air2Air
19th Sep 2006, 01:34
Off on the next leg today, about to leave the hotel to catch the Kam Air flight to Kabul.

SASLess - Chuck is meeting us at the airport so I will pass on your regards in person. Hopefully he will still talk to me :ok:

If I get internet access there might try and post some pics in next day or so before we go down to Helmand region.

Cheers

Ned

SASless
19th Sep 2006, 01:43
Ned,

Remember to stand behind things hard and solid...if things go "Bang!" don't be curious...focus on the shot....like the Pro you are. Don't look important...and don't run around with someone braver than you are.

Looking forward to some of the photos!

B Sousa
19th Sep 2006, 02:40
Ned, If your in Kabul and have a chance to meet some of the Opium Grunts, Say Howdy to Barries Barnard . Hes from Pretoria. Would be good security for you based on his prior jobs in SA. He can hit a target and smile while doing it....

helmet fire
19th Sep 2006, 08:09
I know there is always a love hate relationship with the press, but this man is not one of "them" he is one of "us".

Fly safe Ned, looking forward to seeing the old girls (albeit with the new plastic boobs of the Huey II) in all their glory in Afghanistan.

Bell Man
19th Sep 2006, 12:50
G'day Ned,
Good luck and all the best over there ! If you also happen to run into Wilson or Skippy flying the Pacific machine,have a beer or twenty with them.
Cheers,
Plugga.
:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Tokoloshe
19th Sep 2006, 14:20
Hope you get some good pics on your travels.
Make sure you get up North over the Hindu Kush towards Faisabad for the 1A departure down the river. This time of year it will be spectacular!!
Not sure if the metal plank runway is still there but it sure used to rattle your teeth getting airborne.

Fly safe

rick1128
19th Sep 2006, 15:54
Off on the next leg today, about to leave the hotel to catch the Kam Air flight to Kabul.
SASLess - Chuck is meeting us at the airport so I will pass on your regards in person. Hopefully he will still talk to me :ok:
If I get internet access there might try and post some pics in next day or so before we go down to Helmand region.
Cheers
Ned

First you have to survive Kam Air.

too young to die
19th Sep 2006, 18:55
Dam right rick1128, Ned's got the most dangerous leg of his journey even before he gets there, Kam-a-kazee Air! good luck Ned, and try and steer clear of Scary-ana also, and that comes from working a few years out there.

slowtyper
20th Sep 2006, 03:57
Perhaps the coalition forces should send in Skippy to fight the Taliban........

He could drink them to death:}

Ned-Air2Air
20th Sep 2006, 13:00
Well guys I managed to get on the internet here in the INL compound so thought I would give you an update on what its like here.

Kam Air flight was broken in Kabul so they put on a chartered 737 flown by a couple of Russians :) I went up and met the guys in the cockpit on the flight over and all navigation was done by a hand held Garmin GPS sitting on the top of the panel. They had no problem with me coming up to the cockpit for a looksee.

Arrival into Kabul was eye opening, quite a steep approach because of the mountains and risk associated with RPGs. The amount and variety of aircraft here is mind blowing. I saw Dutch F-16s on alert, Mi-24s, Mi-8s, Pacific's 212, some Mi-2s, some MI-171s and these are new super advanced helos, a Ruslan, some AN32s, an AN74, the Hueys here that INL use and a few other assorted toys. Airport was very run down but the people are very friendly, or at least the ones I met at the airport were.

Dave Campbell met us at the airport with their armoured Ford Excursion. Now these things are built like fort knox and can withstand some serious attacks, but wont say how well protected they are. We were given body armour as soon as we got out of the airport and then got into the SUV and headed to the compound via the airport internal roads.

We had three fully armed Gurkhas protecting Rob and myself and these guys were "well" armed. After catching up with everyone and having dinner it was time to hit the sack.

Today it was 0600 wakeup, breakfast and then down to the airport for a briefing and takeoff at 0930. We took three Hueys, two gunships, and one that we used as a camera ship. The lead helo had normal machine guns on both sides, the second one had Dillon Aero mini guns on both sides. The self protection suite is also impressive but wont say anything more on that.

We took off out of Kabul and headed up over the hill towards Bagram AFB. That base is impressive. We didnt fly close to it but saw all the Chinooks and other aircraft there. After we visited the range so the crewmen could test their weapons we headed down towards Jalalabad. There is some amazing scenery out there and I doubt I saw one paved road on the whole flight. Did some formation photo shoots on the way there as well as looked at some of the various villages and huts around the place. Some of the mountains around here get very high and up north they can go up to around 18,000ft.

We came into Jalalabad to refuel at the FARP at the same time as a couple of Chinooks. There is an old AN32 left crashed at the end of the runway. Looks like it overran the runway and they basically left it where it ended up. Did get a photo of it. :)

Saw numerous Apaches at JBad and a couple were taking off as we left. After a quick tour over Jbad we headed back towards Kabul and did a gradual climb back up to the 6800ft alt of Kabul. Jbad is about 1800 feet lower from what the guys were saying. Once we crossed over the top we dropped down and flew besides the infamous JBad highway which is always having IED's used on it. Saw wreckage of a few victims of IEDs as they were left where they ended up.

Coming back into Kabul we flew down the runway so we could see all the toys there are there before landing back at our spot. It was an amazing flight and obviously body armour is the dress of the day no matter where you go.

Its an awesome bunch of people here and they could not be more supportive of what we are doing. Met some of the top guys from the Embassy today as they came down to the airport so we could interview them. I saw the Pacific 212 parked down towards the terminal but it was all tied down. It is now painted in a tan colour to be less conspicuous and was only done in the last couple of days I understand.

Tomorrow we are going down to Kandahar on the AN72 and spending the next few days with these guys. The whole situation down there is much hotter than it is up here so should be interesting. Tomorrow night we are going out on a night gunnery tactics flight where they will be firing the mini gun, all under NVGs and then following day we are taking a three ship out into the Helmand Valley to see the FOBs they have there.

Well I am off to have some dinner and will process some of the photos from today later on this eveing hopefully. Wont be posting any showing peoples faces of any entrances to places or aerial views of bases so please dont ask.

Cheers guys and have to say this is the best trip I have ever done so far.

Ned in Kabul.

IntheTin
20th Sep 2006, 13:31
Sounds all very exciting Ned.

Can't wait to see your pictures!

Stay safe.

ITT :ok:

rick1128
20th Sep 2006, 16:05
Kam Air is always broke and the Russians are always used as a permanent backup. I have flown on them before. Plus I believe I recognized the aircraft as a former Southwest 737. 100,000 hours and a million cycles. As for the approach, it is tight but not as tight as Aspen. Let's say it is sporty. Plus the 'Kam Air' are a little extra careful with them now, after one of their crews planted a 737 in them about a year ago.

The runway a Kabul (OAKB) was repaved almost two years ago and was still in good shape last year. The terminal, well, is the terminal. It needs much more than Norm Abrams.

Revolutionary
21st Sep 2006, 05:16
Ned, how 'bout a round of free subscriptions for everyone to celebrate the occasion!

Ahem, Heliport, inappropriate?

Ned-Air2Air
23rd Sep 2006, 06:04
Just checking in guys. Got some pics saved to file and will upload when we get back to Dubai. Down in Kandahar and been here for three days now. We have had rocket attacks here on the base the last three days, one in daylight and two around 9pm each night. Night before last it was about 1000ft from the bunkhouse and then last night it was about 600 ft from the hangar.

Went out the other night with the gunships and did a gunnery flight under NVGs. Got some great photos sitting in the hell hole seat shooting the Gals as it went off, that was impressive and then yesterday we took a two ship down to the Helmand Valley and refuelled at one of the FOBs.

One more day here in kandahar and then back to Kabul on the AN74 tomorrow. Got some great images to post so keep an eye out over the next few days.

Ned

P.S. Friskel - Caught up with Don here.

paco
23rd Sep 2006, 08:25
They must have heard you were coming!

Phil

afghanmerc
24th Sep 2006, 03:46
Once again for the self confessed fan club....

Lots of guys out there doing it without the "...my best adventure so far " crap.

Do you guys get a free "i love ned" shirt as well??

Hey Tuk Tuk, I am one of the guys doing it and yes I am a fan of Neds work (Waiting on my t-shirt) Like he said he is here doing a piece on guys that are Doing it and if anyone can give them the credit they deserve, he can. So why dont you get over it, enjoy the pics, and if your one of the guys doing it (or BTDT), my hats off to you.

afghanmerc
24th Sep 2006, 03:52
Ned, If your in Kabul and have a chance to meet some of the Opium Grunts, Say Howdy to Barries Barnard . Hes from Pretoria. Would be good security for you based on his prior jobs in SA. He can hit a target and smile while doing it....

Hey Sousa

Barries is here with me, Ill pass on the kind words.

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 10:53
Well guys we are back in Kabul and all I can say about this trip and the people we have worked with are that they are the most amazing group of individuals I have ever worked with as long as I have been doing this. I am still going through my images but here are some to get you started. There will be no images that show faces of the INL guys and the images are a mixture of what we have seen at Kabul and Kandahar as well as some shots of the countryside and a few of the INL Air Ops. Keeping the best ones till later :) :)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A054.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A053.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A052.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A051.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A050.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 10:54
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A059.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A058.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A057.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A056.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A055.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 10:55
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A064.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A063.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A062.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A061.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A060.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 10:57
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A069.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A068.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A067.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A066.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A065.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 11:00
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A074.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A073.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A072.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A071.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A070.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 11:01
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A090.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A088.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A087.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A086.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 11:05
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A085.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A084.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A083.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A082.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A081.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 11:06
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A080.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A079.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A078.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A077.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A076.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A075.jpg

John Eacott
24th Sep 2006, 11:35
Interesting stuff, Neville: take care :ok:

bondu
24th Sep 2006, 12:05
Ned.

Awesome photos!!! :ok:

Take care!

bondu

B Sousa
24th Sep 2006, 12:56
As Usual, Great Photos. Watch out for the "Golden BB"....

Another Rule(SASless will agree):
Red Tracers going away= Good
Green Tracers coming at you= Bad

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 13:20
Here are some more of the ones I have processed.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A006.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A005.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A004.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A002.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A001.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 13:21
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A010.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A009.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A008.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A007.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 13:22
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A019.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A018.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A016.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A013.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A012.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A011.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 13:24
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A027.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A026.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A024.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A023.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A022.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A020.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 13:25
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A035.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A033.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A032.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A031.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A029.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A028.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 13:26
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A043.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A042.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A041.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A039.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A038.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A036.jpg

B Sousa
24th Sep 2006, 13:26
Whos place is that neat compound with the white house and the Helicopter on the pad??

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 13:28
And here is the last batch until I get back to Dubai in a day or so. The camp you can see the Huey flying over in the images above is actually the Al Qaeda training camp you see in the various news clips showing them training.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A049.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A048.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A047.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A046.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A045.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/A044.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
24th Sep 2006, 13:29
Bert - That place is the Governor of the Kandahar provence's house.

IntheTin
24th Sep 2006, 13:35
What an amazing looking country!

Great Pictures Ned. :ok:

Impress to inflate
24th Sep 2006, 14:23
Eleven out of ten, great pics. TTWW you can now come out of your whole for 2 minutes to look at the pics.

SASless
24th Sep 2006, 14:34
Ned,

I see NASA is there doing weather research flights with the B-57.

212man
24th Sep 2006, 15:22
Ironic that having 'passed on' the Canberra to the US, they are still using it's derivative whilst the RAF have just retired their fleet.

Great photos Ned :ok:

Chimbu chuckles
24th Sep 2006, 15:26
Wow...all excellent piccies....how old are those old Forts (Sandcastles:} )

handysnaks
24th Sep 2006, 15:48
Simply stunning photographs

B Sousa
24th Sep 2006, 16:41
"I see NASA is there doing weather research flights with the B-57."

Ha Ha.......SASless, someone else may believe that but I think its too see the smiling faces looking up at them.......and count the teeth.

SASless
24th Sep 2006, 16:46
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/research/b-57_feature.html

Gee, Bert....you mean there is no tooth fairy?

B Sousa
24th Sep 2006, 16:50
Ha Ha....getting better........... Black Powder starts and all..........

international hog driver
24th Sep 2006, 18:43
Ned those pic's are great, some remind me so much of south east Angola, not to many helicopter to shoot (no pun intended) there however.

Can someone remind me what the Russians were fighting there for..... no comment’s on the current occupational forces though.

Good to see the palace has a big fat mil on the pad... all good wars need a dictator in a palace.

Ned-Air2Air
25th Sep 2006, 02:25
The Canberra is actually there at the request of the Afghan Government, doing some mapping to see where all the mineral deposits such as Iron, Zinc etc are.

Ascend Charlie
25th Sep 2006, 02:39
Why would ANYBODY want to fight over that land? What a 5h1thole.

But great pix.:ok:

Bet your flash put their NVGs into overdrive.

Ned-Air2Air
25th Sep 2006, 02:58
AC - Actually the flash didnt, we did some tests with the flash before we started the gunnery exercise. That was my one concern but the guys allowed me to do it so you see the end results.

Leaving Kabul to head back to Dubai today.

Ned

B Sousa
25th Sep 2006, 03:08
Ned, while in Dubai, Evergreen now has the AB-139. Say hello to Mike Haas and tell him to show you around......

Ned-Air2Air
25th Sep 2006, 03:12
Bert - Email me his contact info to [email protected]

Thanks and caught up with Chuck last night. They came over to our compound to say hi.

rick1128
25th Sep 2006, 03:55
Ned, while in Dubai, Evergreen now has the AB-139. Say hello to Mike Haas and tell him to show you around......

Actually the progra is based in Abu Dhabi and also operates BH412EP's.

Ned-Air2Air
25th Sep 2006, 05:58
Found a few more, couple showing the typical package that goes out from Kandahar. Every flight that goes over a certain distance has an Apache gunship that goes with it.

Also saw an armed predator there which was cool.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Misc/A99.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Misc/A099.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Misc/A098.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Misc/A097.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Misc/A096.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Misc/A095.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Misc/A094.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Misc/A093.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Misc/A092.jpg

spinwing
25th Sep 2006, 09:02
............ Mmmmmm I heard that Mike Haas didn't make it to Abu Dhabi ????

:confused:

Makiwa
25th Sep 2006, 09:42
Howzit guys,

Wonder if one of you can tell what to do with the settings on the old laptop. I cannot currently view the photographs on this post.:{ All I see is a white square with a red X in it. :* Must be something wrong with my settings somewhere I am guessing... :ugh:

Thanks, cheers for now...

Arctic Tern
25th Sep 2006, 13:04
Ned.
Some years ago I commented on the wonderful quality of your photography and your magazine. I see the years have not dampened your enthusiasm or eye for a great photo. Keep up the good work mate - you're setting standards for those other t###ers to follow. Hats off to yer for getting off your ass and going out there :D :D :D

BlenderPilot
25th Sep 2006, 13:41
I hate :ugh: using these stupid emoticons, but there is just no better way := to to express my admiration :ok: for your picutres :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Regards from Mexico.

Say again s l o w l y
25th Sep 2006, 14:19
Fantastic stuff.

I've learnt more about what the military is doing out there from these pictures than from all the news reports I've seen.

Good going!

too young to die
25th Sep 2006, 14:19
Great Pics NED! keep them coming..........PS did you manage to avoid Kabul ass?

too young to die
25th Sep 2006, 14:29
But great pix.:ok:
Bet your flash put their NVGs into overdrive.

Have you not heard AC? its the master plan, the great US quest for energy, namely a big gas pipeline coming in from Turkmenistan, through Herat in West AFG down the ring road out through somewhere around Khandahar into Pakistan to an awaiting American ship in the wee blue waters, in other words an excuse to start a thing called the 'war on terror' that will never end in our lifetime. Look out Iran your next! I thought everybody knew...............

B Sousa
25th Sep 2006, 14:49
ooops I think someone corrected me. It may be Abu whatever. Hey its all sand to me.....

soggyboxers
25th Sep 2006, 17:35
Ned,

In the helicopter photography world, you are the man:ok:

The scenery reminds me of the time when I was flying in Iran, as a young pilot back in the 1970s. Great shots :D

Heliport
26th Sep 2006, 06:28
Ned

Superb pics. :ok:

Thanks for posting.

Dis-Mystery of Lift
26th Sep 2006, 09:32
Great Pics Ned......Not bad for kiwi boy from AK..."Good on Ya Mate"

Needlesplit
26th Sep 2006, 12:59

Its not whats on it but whats UNDER it !!:ok:

B Sousa
26th Sep 2006, 14:11
Quite frankly the message in the eyes of the Three Musketeers above seems to be "Get the #### out of here."

SASless
26th Sep 2006, 15:06
TYTD,

Perhaps you missed one small incident called 911...that involved four hijacked airliners full of innocent passengers and crew....and three thousand people murdered by Terrorists aligned with Al Qaeda which was harbored and protected by the Taliban who ruled Afghanistan. The same Terrorist group which supported, trained, and motivated the London bombers.

It is most assuredly not about "Oil" or a "Pipeline"!

Perhaps you should broaden your reading list beyond Gwyn Dyer , Noam Chomsky, and the Daily Worker.

Ned-Air2Air
26th Sep 2006, 15:10
Thanks for the comments re the photos, however I have to share the credit with everyone who helped make them possible, and its the same with every shoot we go on.

My role in pressing the shutter is only a small part in the big picture. To give you an idea on the preparation that goes into something like this visit and shoot it goes something like this. After the approval process was all taken care of with the Department of State, it was then worked through by the INL Air Wing to make sure they could accommodate us and would have the assets available for us to achieve what we needed to do, as well as still being able to do their missions etc.

After arrival in Kabul, where we were met at the terminal but Dave, John and team, we were told to put on our body armour and this would become like a second skin for the time we were there. Then the security detail guys drove us about 5 miles to the compound in the armoured Excursion. On the way John told us that a week before one of their vehicles had been attacked by a local who tossed a grenade under the vehicle as it turned onto the main road outside the compound. Sort of a welcome to Afghanistan briefing :)

The flight the next day was a combined training/photo flight so we sat in on the briefing and added our goals to the mission objectives. Every question that we asked the guys was met with a "No Problem - we will make it happen" response. :ok:

It went perfectly. Three helos in formation is not the ideal scenario over a hostile environment like Afghanistan but the guys knew the images we were trying to get and made it happen, for that I am extremely grateful. They could have said it was too hard because of threat assessments etc, or that we were just ridealongs and to get what we could, but they didnt and that impressed me more than anything else. The three hour flight that day produced many amazing images from a wonderful section of the country and I will go on record and say that without the support of these crews there was no way in the world we could have achieved what we were after.

So far the tally is as follows:

Security Detail - 5 persons
3 x Helo Crews - 12 persons
Plus the maint crews who made sure the helos were 100% ready to go.

Then the next day it was down to Kandahar on the AN74. Dave came down with us as our aide :)

Now for those that are not aware Kandahar is right in the middle of the "Hot" area of operations in Afghanistan, not just because of the military ops going on but also because the Helmand Valley is one of the largest poppie growing regions of the world and supplies over 80% of the Heroin that goes into Europe and because it is basically run by the Taliban they get extremely pissed off when the INL guys and the AEF (Afghan Eradication Force) guys come in and tear up their poppies. Its the money from these crops that fund Al Qaeda and terrorism as a whole. Our flights out of Kandahar were a mix of both training flights and a recon type flight with our mission added to it. With the night gunnery mission we were just along as ridealongs so no impact there to anything they were doing as it was a scheduled task.

However they bent over backwards to take us out to the Helmand Valley and for those that saw the news tonight where there were 18 people killed by a car bomb in Lash Kagar, well thats the town you see in some of the photos, same place we were at. The FOB we landed at to refuel at was Goeresk or something like that. Its one of the FOBs where a lot of soldiers have not come back from their missions. This is a real nasty neighbourhood hence the Howitzers mounted around the perimeters. They told us that rockets and grenades regularly come over the fences into the compound. Its this sort of hands on experience that gives you a whole new perspective on what these guys put up with on a daily basis, especially during the poppie season where the ground crews are "always" targeted when they are eradicating the poppies. Even though the Hueys provide cover for these guys on the ground, and they are very well armed, casualties are expected. :sad:

So this just goes to show that whenever you see images that we post here its more than just me taking a shot with my camera, its the efforts of a lot of people combining to result in the capture of a single moment in time. I know some of the guys from Afghanistan read this forum, so from myself and Rob, a heartfelt thanks for all of your support and assistance while we were there, you are some of the most professional helo pilots we have ever met and worked with.

One thing that made us acutely aware of the danger these people face every day was the constant rocket attacks on the base at Kandahar while we were there. Their attitude is that if a rockets hits their barracks, there is nothing they can do about it, its all just part of the job. For myself and Rob it was an awesome experience and one that has given us a new respect for ALL those pilots and crews who put themselves in harms way for the protection of everyone else around the world.

I know one thing - I sure as heck wont miss the 9pm trip to the bunker each night because of Taliban rockets :=

The point of this post in case I lost it was to show that the reason we are able to get amazing images, not just here, but all around the world, is because we get the chance to work with some amazing people in all areas of this fantastic industry. :D :D

Cheers

Ned

rick1128
26th Sep 2006, 20:47
Just got a phone call from my boss and now I'm off to Kabul for '30 days' TDY. I'll believe the 30 days when it happens. No sucurity guards, no armored transport and a flak jacket whose label reads 'might possibly stop shotgun blast' Oh Joy Oh Joy! And to think I woke up in a good mood this morning.

Phil, Are you in Dubai? I might see you while I'm there.

SASless
26th Sep 2006, 21:24
Rick,

US Cavalry sells some very good kit....an email to Blackwater might get you some other suggestions for gear.

rick1128
26th Sep 2006, 22:49
SAS,

Thanks for the input. I have been there before and have a good E & E kit put together. Tan PJ outfit, Black and White head scarf, good heavy running boots and a Fairbairn folding knife. Unfortunately the company's client doesn't allow us to carry farearms or use body armor other than what they issue. Plus I know a little over 40 words of Dari. Oh I forgot, I have a set of Muslim pray beads also.

Inshallah!

paco
27th Sep 2006, 02:06
rick1128 - sure thing - mobile no in PM

Phil

rick1128
27th Sep 2006, 03:26
Here are a few shots of my last trip there.

The local butcher shop. Can we spell disease boys and girls?

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/rick1128/butchershop.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/rick1128/HonestHassamsUsedBicycles.jpg

The local used bicycle dealer. Keep one hand on your wallet.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/rick1128/Things009.jpg
The welcome sign to Kabul on the Jbad road. So reassuring

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/rick1128/Things059.jpg

My next SUV. A whole new meaning to Road Rage

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/rick1128/DSCN0346.jpg

My F/O at the time. Now flying FO on a 747. I pity the poor captains

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/rick1128/DSCN0369.jpg

My E & E outfit

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/rick1128/DSCN0384.jpg

Some of the lower mountains in Afghanisan. It's gettting that time of year.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m89/rick1128/DSCN0376.jpg

My ride. Boy am I in trouble.

NickLappos
27th Sep 2006, 05:31
Happiness is a ZSU-23/4 on a slow-traffic day!!

BTW, you are short one flash suppressor on that bad boy!

Take care over there, my son just came back from 13 mos as a medic, he said an optimist is a soldier in the 'Ghan who is afraid of the hanging meat.

rick1128
27th Sep 2006, 05:48
Happiness is a ZSU-23/4 on a slow-traffic day!!

BTW, you are short one flash suppressor on that bad boy!

Take care over there, my son just came back from 13 mos as a medic, he said an optimist is a soldier in the 'Ghan who is afraid of the hanging meat.

It's russian. It don't need no stinking flash suppressors.

Robo Squirrel
27th Sep 2006, 06:24

:) Very true Ascend Charlie. I suppose it has something to do with the black beauty beneath the ugly skin, oil. :rolleyes:

I really enjoyed the photos Ned. Awesome photos, as usual.

SASless
27th Sep 2006, 13:48
Nick,

Wonderful news to hear your Son is home safe from Afghanistan! I know as all Fathers are, you are both proud of his service and even more relieved he is home. Give him a great big ol' bear hug for us!:ok:

Ned-Air2Air
6th Oct 2006, 03:51
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF006.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF005.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF004.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF003.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF002.jpg

Plus had to get one shot of me in amongst them all :) :)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF060.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
6th Oct 2006, 03:56
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF019.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF018.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF017.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF016.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF014.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF013.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
6th Oct 2006, 04:09
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF034.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF031.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF029.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF028.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF027.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF025.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF024.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF021.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF020.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
6th Oct 2006, 04:14
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF043.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF042.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF041.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF040.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF039.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF037.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF036.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF035.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
6th Oct 2006, 04:22
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF063.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF062.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF058.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF057.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF056.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF055.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF054.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF052.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF051.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
6th Oct 2006, 04:28
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF065.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF050.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF049.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF048.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF047.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF046.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF045.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF044.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
6th Oct 2006, 04:33
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF071.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF070.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF069.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF067.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/KiwiNed/Afghanistan/AF066.jpg

Aser
6th Oct 2006, 11:06
Just great! Thanks Ned! :D

Hiro Protagonist
6th Oct 2006, 23:02
Why would ANYBODY want to fight over that land? What a 5h1thole....<snip>

I agree, I was just thinking that if you threw up some modern suburbs, and some mega hotels, it would look exactly like Las Vegas! :E

froggy_pilot
7th Oct 2006, 02:07
Just for this pipeline americans want to build, to bring oil from some northern country down to the ocean !!! Not for women rights :oh:

This project is not new.
US President Eisenhower did a trip to Afghanistan with some top oil officials a few decades ago.

Don't forget that USA is about 5% of the world population consuming 25% of the world oil production

It's just like weapon of mass destruction in Irak. First class joke:}

WAKE UP :*