PDA

View Full Version : V92 Modem On Hold - Does it hurt?

windy1
15th Sep 2006, 19:19
I just noticed this bit of SW sitting in my taskbar. I don't remember asking for it and I can't think I need it as (a) I have been on broadband for yonks and (b) I already have an integral modem, thank you very much.
Anyone know where this might have come from and does it harm ? It seems legit but it does not figure in my XP Program Listing , so I can't use the Add/Remove Programs to get rid.

TheSailor
15th Sep 2006, 20:31
Hello,

WM SW ? ;)

Regards. http://photobucket.com/albums/v509/Bebermaur/th_bye.gif

Tarq57
15th Sep 2006, 21:56
Nothing too sinister, it seems. http://startup.networktechs.com/srch-V.92%20Modem%20On%20Hold.html

BLUE SKY THINKER
15th Sep 2006, 22:29
windy 1 . . . . .

Here's all about it. (http://www.modemsite.com/56k/v92moh.asp)

As mentioned previously, nothing sinister, but of limited use if no longer interested in dial-up. ...It's an applet - not part of Windows - that invariably comes installed by the PC manufacturer to enhance use of the modem.

I to found it an irritant and threw it out some time ago. ...Likewise, no add/remove, but it will be found in your Program Files (mine was in either 'ltmoh', 'Moh', or 'Lucent'; can't quite remember. ...The first one I think). ...Simple deletion of that file will kill it and remedy your system tray clutter. ...If a purist, delete associated registry entries via a registry cleaner.

Conan the Librarian
15th Sep 2006, 22:37
There is the thought that you are running a laptop. If you are away from base, you might just need to use the antiquated service we all used to know and love, as dial up. Other than that - kill it.

Conan

Tarq57
15th Sep 2006, 23:19
The process is "Ltmoh.exe." if you want to kill it.

hobie
16th Sep 2006, 10:51
you might just need to use the antiquated service we all used to know and love, as dial up.

A couple of months ago my BB service went US so I connected via dial-up setup from my pre-BB days ..... talked to a telecoms guy from our local exchange the next day and he said a 1000 peeps had be left dis-connected from BB because someone had messed up at the exchange

BLUE SKY THINKER
16th Sep 2006, 16:40
Let's just get one thing straight: removing 'MoH' does not preclude you from using dial-up via your modem as a back-up to broadband. ...It's merely an applet providing an additional facility, which to be honest I would be quite surprised if extensively used, even in the heyday of dial-up.

As further confirmation, I threw out my 'MoH' nine months ago. ...I have been awaiting a replacement power unit for my broadband router for the last two weeks; on the rare occasions my 3G broadband link has been iffy, dial-up works perfectly (or as perfectly as dial-up can!).

future captain
16th Sep 2006, 16:52
What that will do is, if you are using dial up (abit dated, but nevertheless), then once your phone rings, the programme will know this and hold the internet connection so you can recieve that call, you dont have to ofcourse, it will not work with all ISP's but with some it does, its needed if your on dial up days still, jus remove it, by looking for it in control pannel add/remove programmes.

BLUE SKY THINKER
16th Sep 2006, 16:56
As previous, yesterday - and highlighted in initial post - not always in Add/Remove.

hobie
16th Sep 2006, 19:01
Let's just get one thing straight: removing 'MoH' does not preclude you from using dial-up via your modem as a back-up to broadband. ...It's merely an applet providing an additional facility, which to be honest I would be quite surprised if extensively used, even in the heyday of dial-up.

so why not leave it well alone and who knows, you may even use it one day when your BB is down and are on Dial-up, and someone is desperately trying to call you to say you have won the lottery .... :)