PDA

View Full Version : London Gliding Club, Dunstable Down 1967 Flying Display

Buster the Bear
15th Sep 2006, 17:21
The quality of the images that were passed on to me are not brilliant, but they depict scenes at the London Gliding Club around the time of a flying display in 1967 (just a bit before my time).

Enjoy:

http://public.fotki.com/busterthebear/1967_london_gliding_club/

kms901
15th Sep 2006, 19:48
Memories !. I was a small child at the time, but my father was a member. I remember the Gunbus, the early C172, and the 3 Tiger Moth tugs, which I think were known as Faith, Hope and Gravity !

Oh and the strange Czech aircraft with the "backwards" tricccle undercarriage. Was it a Meta-Sokol ?

treadigraph
15th Sep 2006, 22:11
Lovely pics Buster - KMS, yes a Meta Sokol.

Buster the Bear
16th Sep 2006, 18:45
Quality is the best that I can get considering just how time has not been kind to the original slides!

At least the images will not deteriorate any further.

As a child, I have fond memories of the Tiger's towing over Dunstable.

The first visit that I can remember yielded a Raylle G-AWJJ, which got written off soon after. Shortly afterwards a very noisy dark grey/blue Raylle which got 'banned', G-AYVX another Raylle together with a yellow Condor G-AYFE.

Somewhere I have a triangular profile pen given out free by the sponsors of a gliding competition during the early to mid 1970's, a lager called Arctic Lite. One championship must have been massively important as a helicopter was based to take the camera films used during the cross country exercises out for development, G-BBBM Bell 206.

Dunstable was host to the biggest of gliding competitions back then, before controlled airspace encroached. I can remember 14 tugs on duty and on another day 16! A good friend of mine owned G-BBMT when it was first released by the RAF, this was based at the club for years. I was also on 'the downs' when G-BCHT arrived on delivery from Rush Green, about 30 years ago? Anyone remember the glider with a 'pop up' engine, G-AYRN?

The one movement I did miss out on was the Atlantique DC-3 that visited during the 1980's one morning! That must have looked impressive from the car park above the gliding club!

I spent many a happy hour in the Cubs as a passenger:eek:

Buster the Bear
16th Sep 2006, 22:34
Sadly I have had to remove the images. The creator of the photos contacted me and asked them to be removed. I have done as requested, but was surprised to find the images given to me in good faith were copyrighted. Anyway, I don't want to enter into an argument, so photos have been eliminated.