PDA

View Full Version : How Not to Land..................

BRL
14th Sep 2006, 14:40
......................on a car!!!!!!!!! (http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/Plane-On-Car.wmv)

Needlesplit
14th Sep 2006, 14:45
Cant even figure out what he was TRYING to do! :ugh: :ugh:

jabberwok
14th Sep 2006, 14:51
You wonder if the driver or pilot had a single brain cell between them.

AlanM
14th Sep 2006, 14:56
Impressive amount of lateral movement without either snapping the gear or rolling.

And he avoided dinking the prop......

jabberwok
14th Sep 2006, 15:17
And he avoided dinking the prop......

No he didn't ;) - look closely at the slow motion bit and you'll see the concrete dust. You can also see the prop flex.

I'm impressed that the gear survived a full 90 degree sideways landing.

172driver
14th Sep 2006, 15:46
Yeah, the gear is quite impressive - but what were these guys really trying to achieve (if, indeed, they were trying to achieve anything :ugh: ). The car doesn't seem to have any device (platform) you could actually land on. Not that that made too much sense either, but hey........

microlight AV8R
14th Sep 2006, 16:15
Utter stupidity, plain & simple.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Sep 2006, 16:28
I've never tried such games myself, but it would be an obvious check to ensure that the roof of the car was bigger than the footprint of the undercarriage wouldn't it.

G

IO540
14th Sep 2006, 16:30
That video is several years old. I don't think the man was a novice pilot on his qualifying cross country and doing a precautionary landing due to weather, so why call him stupid. It's a planned stunt, and everybody has a right to risk their life.

Speaks volumes for the TB fixed gear and Socata engineering :)

J.A.F.O.
14th Sep 2006, 17:01
so why call him stupid
The main reason would have to be the level of stupidity displayed, I suppose.

Andy_RR
15th Sep 2006, 04:16
Speaks volumes for the TB fixed gear and Socata engineering :)

How so? By being able to withstand this kind of extreme abuse without any sign of catastrophic failure, wouldn't that make it over engineered and therefore probably heavier than strictly necessary?

A

IO540
15th Sep 2006, 08:32
By being able to withstand this kind of extreme abuse without any sign of catastrophic failure, wouldn't that make it over engineered and therefore probably heavier than strictly necessary?

It's been said, in the yacht racing business, that if a boat makes it across the finishing line with the hull in one piece, it's been overengineered and next time the hull should be made thinner.

Personally I would prefer for relatively useful items like the landing gear to be a bit stronger than that.

Knowing a TB20 fairly intimately, I don't think it is overengineered, but it is well made. Socata build quality is noticeably better than most GA types. In fact, looking at the speed, range, and fuel flow, versus cockpit dimensions, there is no evidence of excessive weight on any of these types.

wobble2plank
15th Sep 2006, 10:11
Obviously not an ex-navy pilot, totally misjudged his relative velocities and position over the deck ooops, car.

Schoolboy error, back to training.

Very impressive landing though!

Potter1
15th Sep 2006, 11:55
Bunch of prats, wreck one perfectly good plane:mad:

P...

Tone
15th Sep 2006, 17:26
...or is it flying again? Who owns it now? Come on - 'fess up!

Sir Thomas
15th Sep 2006, 21:11
I believe this was a stunt for an advertisement, and they weren't actually trying to land on the car. Obviously it went wrong but to condemn them all as utterly stupid is a bit harsh I think.

+200 No Flags
17th Sep 2006, 12:30
This footage was taken on the set of the Belgian TV-series "Windkracht 10". While they were wrapping up this scene, which should have looked like the A/C flying a foot above the car, something went terribly wrong.

No one got injured and the A/C still flies today.

Sir Thomas
17th Sep 2006, 12:32
thanks for clarifying that:ok:

bencoulthard
17th Sep 2006, 21:03
I have to say i think the car driver is the biggest fool here, unless his side windows were made of 20cm metal plate!!!!!
So close to death!!! well, No brain, No pain.

wombat13
18th Sep 2006, 07:54
Good on them. They have the money, the guts and the ambition to do something a bit different.

skygipsy
18th Sep 2006, 12:43
I wonder if anyone would mind me trying that at Old Sarum?!!!!!

Warbo
20th Sep 2006, 14:19
The main reason would have to be the level of stupidity displayed, I suppose.

:ok: Gotta pay that one!!!

scooter boy
20th Sep 2006, 22:24
...and all this time I was wondering why the TB-10 I bought on e-bay last week has a little nosewheel shimmy caved in wingtips and a very out of balance propeller - (not to mention the mercedes bonnet ornament) ... now I know! :D

The object of the stunt appears to have been "lesson for crap pilots 101 - how to decapitate a gormless driver"

SB

Mad Girl
22nd Sep 2006, 07:09
I wonder if anyone would mind me trying that at Old Sarum?!!!!!

Depends if you want the CFI to bend your ear...:ouch: :uhoh: :eek: