PDA

View Full Version : Embedded photos in email

Tosh McCaber
14th Sep 2006, 13:28
The wife, who (sigh) uses a Mac, has a problem with photo attachments in her email. When she takes them into her email, using the paperclip icon, they turn into the complete series of images, rather than a series of icons at the head of the email. Similarly, when they come out the recipients end, they end up as a series of embedded photos on the email, rather than icons ready to open.

Is there a way to get th e photos in as icons, ready for opening?

MightyGem
15th Sep 2006, 19:07
Tosh, the following reply came from another forum, don't know if it's of any help.
I came across a similar issue the other day, when I had to turn a couple of rosters that my wife had made in Appleworks into pdf, so as to mail them to her colleagues at school who all use PCs. One-page pdfs were visible as text (or more like a picture actually) in the mail, instead of just as an icon. There is an option in Mail to "show attachments as icons", but if you mail it off and check your "sent messages", they will be visible as text again, rather than as icons. Beats me!
Indeed, if anyone sends us a couple of photos as attachments, the photos can be viewed in Mail, instead of just being displayed as icons (which are a bit handier than photos to drag, from the mail message, to the desktop.)

(of course, if you have a couple of them to send together, you could always turn them into a zip file, but don't expect any further compression, as jpg's, just like mp3's or pdf's, are already compressed files)

tallsandwich
15th Sep 2006, 19:56
Check the sending mail format - if it is html then your email application will try and embed the images in the mail body rather then send them as attachments.

If you want to ensure that attachements do not get displayed as images in the email body and they remain as icons that have to be opened, then ensure that you send your email in normal text format and not as html.

I can't join you in slagging of Macs as tht would be thread creep and I recently got told off by SD for doing that :} Think of your wife's Mac as an opportunity to experience a different interpretation and implementation of the Document Oriented Computing Paradigm. In fact, some would rightly argue it is the true evolution of the original implementation of this paradigm.
Now you feel better, right?