PDA

View Full Version : gigha

dont overfill
14th Sep 2006, 08:44
Has anybody been to gigha this summer? How good is the runway surface?

ContinentalC85
14th Sep 2006, 15:59
Yes was there in July
It was fine for me ( in a Luscombe ) but being White Waltham based anything else is smooth in comparison.
Depends on your a/c type but I don't think it is a problem for most general aviation types ie PA28 C150 C172 / tailwheels as long as you are not too heavy
Length as I remember is approx 700 metres and is also fairly wide
Strip slopes down from west to east (especially at the west end ). Unless wind is fairly brisk from the west , would suggest a downhill takeoff.

Aunt Rimmer
14th Sep 2006, 18:23
Can be soggy before/during and after rain - and the damp patch is JUST after the go/no-go point in a PA28 which is VERY unnerving when you then stop accelerating !! A few years ago I departed into 10kt wind heading west (toward the uphill end). Won't do that again - I would prefer a 10 kt tailwind downhill. Let's just say the ground effect of the hill kept me airborne :eek:

Do your figures VERY carefully and add on ALL the requested factors - and then a wee bit for that possible soggy patch. In a PA28-161 I would limit to no more than 3pob and half-tanks.

Local 172 regularly goes in and out no problem.

That said. Don't be put off. It is a fabulous little island. Good food in pub, and camping/B+B available - well worth the effort.