PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a Burnt XP

Ejector
14th Sep 2006, 06:58
I don’t want to get into morels or arguments here,,,please.

I have 2 computers, one came with windows from the shop.

The other one uses a burnt XP. I have been told that security is going to get worse and worse on this one, I see in the shops that XP upgrade is now about $100usd.
The chap in the shop said it is fine to use this “XP upgrade” from scratch if I reformat the #2 computer. To me the word up grade means upgrading from an older version, but he says no.

Can any one confirm this?

EJ:ok:

ORAC
14th Sep 2006, 07:08
Upgrade paths to XP. (http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_upgrade_paths.htm) It does not mean you have to have the previous OS installed, if you do not, the XP installation will ask you to insert an installation disk/diskette from the previous OS to check its validity before proceeding.

Ejector
14th Sep 2006, 16:21
So if I own one XP that is allready registered, and the other computer has never had a genuine one, and I go buy an XP Upgrade for $100, I am still in no luck ??

ORAC
14th Sep 2006, 17:44
You cannot upgrade from XP to XP, so you cannot use your present disk to validate the upgrade version.
However...
The XP validation is to stop multiple copies being run off. They expect people to re-install their OS on other machines at regular intervals. So, as long as it has been over a couple of months, you can install your current copy on a new machine. And no, that does not mean that the other machine will then fail to update, validation is not cross-checked after installation.....

Saab Dastard
14th Sep 2006, 18:42
ORAC is absolutely right in his first post.

To clarify a few points that seem to have got a bit murky:

1) You can only "Upgrade" an existing win 98 / 98SE / ME installation to XP - either by upgrading in situ or presenting the original CD / Diskette for verification of the upgrade during a fresh install.

2) You CANNOT use an UPGRADE version of XP to do a fresh install without original win 98 / 98SE / ME media.

3) You MUST not use the XP media from one PC to install an unlicensed copy on another PC. You MUST buy the appropriate license version for your circumstances - if you cannot legitimately Upgrade, then you cannot buy an Upgrade license.

To do otherwise is a breach of copyright.

This is of course the official line - should you find a way to circumvent the copyright laws there is very little to hinder or stop you. However, it is contrary to PPRuNe policy to be seen to aid or encourage such lawbreaking.

SD