PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATPL in UK?

ANTI-ICE ON
23rd Aug 2006, 01:32
Greetings,

Can anyone tell me what is the validity of a FAA ATPL Written test? I took the test in 2003 but never took the practical test afterwards. I spent more time under JAA regulations and got a bit out of the FAA system.

Since I am heading out to the simulator again soon for another type rating, I wanted to put the rating on my JAA licence as usual, but take the FAA ATPL Practical test as well.

The question is do I have to take the written test again?

Thanks for your help.

Anti Ice On ;)

Jimmy The Big Greek
23rd Aug 2006, 08:08
I think its valid for 24 months.

GrkPilot
23rd Aug 2006, 10:21
yep 24 months ...

ANTI-ICE ON
24th Aug 2006, 07:08
Thanks to both of you,

Does that mean I have to rewrite it before going onto my conversion course ? :*

GrkPilot
24th Aug 2006, 09:16
Unfortunately yes ... :ugh:

Jimmy The Big Greek
24th Aug 2006, 09:24
Just buy the gleim book (dont use old ones). If you study hard for 2 weeks you will not have any problems.

Good luck

ANTI-ICE ON
24th Aug 2006, 10:58
OK. Back to the books then.
Thanks to you all. :mad:

Angie
14th Sep 2006, 05:30
G'day,

Hoping someone might be able to help me with some info re FAA ATPL experience. I understand that the total experience requirement is 1,500 hrs however I cannot find reference to the minimum PIC experience. If this does apply, what is the minimum and can ICUS time be substituted?

Thanks very much!

Hour Builder
14th Sep 2006, 06:52
"G1.2 FLYING EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR JAR-FCL ATPL(A)

An applicant for a JAR-FCL ATPL(A) shall have completed as a pilot of aeroplanes at least 1500 hours of flight time. This must include the particular requirements specified in a, b, c, d & e below. Each of these requirements must be met in full but, hours may be credited, where appropriate, towards more than one requirement except where stated otherwise.

a) 500 hours Multi-Pilot operations on aeroplanes type certificated in accordance with the JAR/
FAR-25 Transport Category or the JAR/FAR-23 Commuter Category or equivalent code, or single-pilot aeroplanes operated by 2-pilots according to operational requirements.

b) i) 250 hours Pilot-in-Command (PIC) of Aeroplanes, can include (ii);
ii) 150 hours (max) Co-Pilot performing under the supervision of the Pilot-in-Command the duties and functions of a Pilot-in-Command (PIC/US).

c) i) 200 hours Cross-country flight time, must include;
ii) 100 hours Pilot-in-Command (PIC) or Co-Pilot performing under the supervision of the Pilot-in-Command the duties and functions of a Pilot-in-Command (PIC U/S) of Aeroplanes.

d) i) 75 hours Instrument time, can include (ii);
ii) 30 hours (max) Instrument Ground Time.

e) 100 hours Night flight as Pilot-in-Command (PIC) or as Co-Pilot (PIC/US or P2)"

scroggs
14th Sep 2006, 17:59
OK, that's the JAA requirement. Now, what's the FAA requirement - which is what was asked for? :ugh: :hmm: :rolleyes:

RTFQ!

Scroggs

Hour Builder
14th Sep 2006, 18:59
hahahahahaha

:ugh: :ugh:

my bad, soz

Noiseboy
14th Sep 2006, 21:43
Sec. 61.151 Eligibility requirements: General.
To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must--
(a) Be at least 23 years of age;
(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
(c) Be of good moral character;
(d) Meet at least one of the following requirements:
(1) Hold at least a commercial pilot certificate and instrument rating;
(2) Meet the military experience requirements under Sec. 61.73 of this part to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States; or
(3) Hold either a foreign airline transport pilot or foreign commercial pilot license and an instrument rating, without limitations issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
Sec. 61.159 Aeronautical experience: Airplane Category rating.
(a) A person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:
(1) 500 hours of cross-country flight time.
(2) 100 hours of night flight time.
(3) 75 hours of instrument flight time, in actual or simulated instrument conditions:
(i) An applicant may not receive credit for more than a total of 25 hours of simulated instrument time in a flight simulator or flight training device.
(ii) A maximum of 50 hours of training in a flight simulator or flight training device may be credited toward the instrument flight time requirements of paragraph (a)(3) if the training was accomplished in a course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142.
(4) 250 hours of flight time in an airplane as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties and functions of a pilot in command while under the supervision of a pilot in command or any combination thereof, which includes at least:
(i) 100 hours of cross-country flight time ; and
(ii) 25 hours of night flight time.
(5) Not more than 100 hours of the total aeronautical experience requirements of paragraph (a) of this section may be obtained in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents an airplane, provided this aeronautical experience was obtained in an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142.
(b) A person who has performed at least 20 night takeoffs and landings to a full stop may substitute each additional night takeoff and landing to a full stop for 1 hour of night flight time to satisfy the requirement of paragraph (a) however, not more than 25 hours of night flight time may be credited in this manner.
(c) A commercial pilot may credit the following second-in-command flight time or flight engineer flight time toward the 1,500 hours of total time as pilot required by paragraph (a) of this section:
(1) Second-in-command time
(i) Required to have more than one pilot flight crew member by the airplane's flight manual, type certificate, or the regulations
(ii) Engaged in operations under part 121 or part 135 of this chapter for which a second in command is required; or
(2) Flight-Engineer Time, provided the time --
(i) is acquired in an airplane required to have a flight engineer by the airplane's flight manual or type certificate;
(ii) is acquired while engaged in operations under part 121 of this chapter for which a flight engineer is required;
(iii) Does not exceed more than 1 hour for each 3 hours of flight engineer flight time for a total credited time of no more than 500 hours.
(1) Credits second-in-command or flight-engineer time under paragraph (c) of this section toward the 1,500 hours total flight time requirement of paragraph (a) of this section;
(2) Does not have at least 1,200 hours of flight time as a pilot, including no more than 50 percent of his or her second-in-command time and none of his or her flight engineer time;

B2N2
15th Sep 2006, 02:27
Here's an online version of the US regulations;

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?sid=95b553e34006ca0396cf7cdf600bf1ab&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfrv2_02.tpl

:8

Angie
15th Sep 2006, 07:04
Thanks very much B2N2!

hghazoly
25th Oct 2006, 16:36
i have ICAO ppl and want to go for the ATPL exam in the USA is it ok for ICAO ppl holder to go for FAA ATPL?

Quazimodo007
25th Oct 2006, 19:26
No,you should get PPL FAA first,then you can ask your instructor to give you endorsement for ATPL writen exam

ITFC1
26th Oct 2006, 15:50
You dont need a sign off to take the FAA ATPL writen, i dont know how many hours you have, but its only valid for 24 months,so unless your hitting the rquirements within that time, i suggest you wait until you do, as you will just have to retake it again.

Quazimodo007
27th Oct 2006, 15:32
.... about proficiency for ATP knowledge test?
Thank you

B2N2
28th Oct 2006, 12:37
For the FAA ATPL written test, no sign-off required (as stated above) no proficiency required. It is a written test like all the other written tests and it is valid for 24 months.
So unless you already have 1500 hrs or expect to reach it soon, there is no reason to take it.

There is no such thing as ICUS under FAA, you are either PIC or you are not.
At least the term does not exist in the uS.
You can log PIC under the following;
*as sole manipulator of the controls (rated and current in category and type)
This could imply that you could be under supervision of a more experienced pilot.

*when receiving additional instruction in an aircraft you are rated for eg
instrument instruction, commercial instruction, recurrency, check-outs etc etc.

* as flightinstructor on a training flight.

* as assigned PIC for the flight

youngskywalker
7th May 2007, 12:57
All FAA writtens can be done at Flightsafety Farnborough or Paris. Lot's of restrictions on the actual flight training/check rides in the UK now, but I noticed that Willow air at southend offer FAA training, as do a company at Humberside, not sure how accurate that is as I have no connection with either. Best bet is just to do it in the States.

ITFC1
8th May 2007, 08:35
Try Businessair at Norwich, Tom can doo all, Written tests flight tests and finger prints