PDA

View Full Version : Licence problem

Mij
13th Sep 2006, 22:19
After spending many hours lurking, I though I'd post and see if anyone could answer this question;

I have recently recieved my NPPL licence, however, the DOB is incorrect (copies of forms are...) I have emailed the CAA about getting a replacement, but can I still fly PIC in the mean time?

cheers in advance.

shortstripper
14th Sep 2006, 03:14
Assuming the NPPL works in the same way as the old UK PPL then you should be ok. Normally any changes (such as address for instance) do not require you to send your licence back; you just inform them and they'll send a replacement. Once issued ... you are licenced unless the licence is recalled or revoked.

SS

A and C
14th Sep 2006, 07:00
As long as the details that you put on the application form are correct and you have told the CAA then they own the problem.

I cant see how they could charge you for flying with a licence that they have issued with incorect details after all it would not look very good for the CAA if they took you to court for a mistake that they had made and had failed to correct.

DFC
14th Sep 2006, 19:32
When you receive the licence you must check that the details are correct and when happy that is the case, you sign the licence.

Since the details are not correct then you can not sign the licence and you must contact the CAA.

You can not exercise the privileges of a licence unless you have signed it.

So contact the CAA asap and get the error corrected.

Yes it is a small error and a pain in the butt. However, until the error is corrected, the person described as being the licence holder is not you!

Regards,

DFC

Gertrude the Wombat
14th Sep 2006, 20:28
Yes it is a small error and a pain in the butt. However, until the error is corrected, the person described as being the licence holder is not you!
Sounds like an overly harsh view.

I bought a house, and the details that came back from the land registry had a similar unimportant administrative error. Nobody threw my tenants out of the house whilst they were fixing it, and a property transaction is (legally) much more of a big deal than a pilot's licence!

Mij
14th Sep 2006, 22:10
Thanks for the replies,

It does seem to be a bit of a grey area; a bit like solo flight between GST and licence issue. I'm still waiting on the CAA for a reply, but I may wave it at my flying club and see what they say..... but no PAX until it is sorted for deffinite.

Thanks again,

Mij

skydriller
15th Sep 2006, 07:16
Sounds like an overly harsh view.
I bought a house, and the details that came back from the land registry had a similar unimportant administrative error. Nobody threw my tenants out of the house whilst they were fixing it, and a property transaction is (legally) much more of a big deal than a pilot's licence!

Agreed, and it would be great if all beurocrats thought in the same way. However, many (and there are definitely some like this at the CAA!!) do not and pounce on errors of this sort. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it and fly as per normal, but in the meantime I would get it fixed by contacting the CAA!!

Regards, SD..

DFC
15th Sep 2006, 08:49
Thanks for the replies,

I may wave it at my flying club and see what they say..... but no PAX until it is sorted for deffinite.

Sensible decision.

There is no "grey area" for solo between GST and holding the licence. You are still not a licence holder and as such have to be authorised and supervised by an instructor. You can not carry pssengers. Simple black and white.

Passing the GST is only one element of obtaining the licence.

What I would expect your club to do is not charge you any fee for the solo supervision you may require until your licence arrives.

Regards,

DFC

Fuji Abound
15th Sep 2006, 09:29
I have got no idea why threads like this receive so many contributions.

This is an issue which is entirely within the CAAs grant. If they say it is OK pending the issue of a corrected license then it is - and equally so is the contrary.

For goodness sake just give them a call. I know you may have to hold on the 'phone for a bit, but I usually find the delay short and they are really helpful on this type of matter.

Give them a 'phone call! Phone calls are instant, emails not always!