PDA

View Full Version : ICAO CPL(H) Conversion

Torquetalk
13th Sep 2006, 15:43
Hi

Wonder if anyone can give a bit of guidance on converting an Australian CPL(H) to a JAR CPL(H)?

Having read LASORS with a colleague, we still aren't clear whether it is necessary to undertake a CPL modular course at an FTO in addition to the basic requirements, or, having met the 155 hours TT, 50 P1, 5 hours instrument and night requirements, the applicant needs simply to be assessed as competent and ready for test by an FTO (inc 170A), given a letter of recommendation to the CAA and then take the LST.

Any thoughts/insights welcome.

TT

rudestuff
13th Sep 2006, 18:09
As i understand it, if you already have an ICAO CPL - you are not required to do the full flying triaining course - you just need training 'as required' to take the skills test. However, the tricky bit is that you have to have passed either ATPL knowledge tests or CPL knowledge tests (almost everyone does ATPL level, so you'd not be doing yourself any favours doing CPL level)
This requires taking a full groundschool course with an FTO either full or part time (6-12 months)

Of course, if you've got an ICAO ATP, you dont need to do that part - you can just sit the exams, take a few rides with an Instructor and take your skills test.

It's in LASORS

Torquetalk
14th Sep 2006, 10:34
Thanks for that.

FlightOops
14th Sep 2006, 10:48
Having done exactly that...

1) You must pass JAA-CPL(H) or ATPL(H) theory exams
2) You will need a min of 185 hrs before a licence will be issued (i.e. 155 + 30 hr modular course - if you already have 185 no problem but if you have less you'll need to take it into account)
3) You do NOT have to do a modular course - ONLY training as required, however well recommended if you can afford it as it will ensure you're better equipped for the test
4) Check LASORS for mins. of: Night, X-Country; P1 and Instrument (I forget now but I think 5 hrs night, 25 x-country; 100 P1 needed for night rating and 10 hrs instrument)

Get a good school and you're laughing ... I ended up doing almost the entire modular course (in abbreviated time) and thought it highly beneficial (I also had an excellent instructor).

Did my exams through Bristol Groundschool and can HIGHLY recommend (sorry moderators but I don't work for them).

Don't forget all the additional expense beyond the training ... 170A (pre cpl-test), test day alone was nearly £1k ! Groundschool approx. £2k etc

Best of luck,
FO