PDA

View Full Version : CX ANC Freighter Base

ScratchF15
12th Sep 2006, 23:33
Does anybody know what the schedules look like at the ANC freighter base? Specifically: numbers of days off, average time away from base, average trip duration and composition, how bidding works, reserve and regular flying lines, etc.?

Thanks for your time.

sizematters
13th Sep 2006, 00:34
well as you'd likely be the only one based in ANC I'm thinking you'd get pretty much everything you bid for and not a lot of time off !!!

hog tied
13th Sep 2006, 03:19
You'll invariably get the wise arse comments speckled with those who say to use the search function to find your answers. The bottom line is that Cathay is quite a different company, the bidding system you have heard about in the US doesn't exist. It's like the military: the schedule writer dudes will give you your schedule monthly with little to no inputs accepted from you. Actualy, its a bit better than the military, since you will know your next month's schedule around the previous mid month. Days off?... probably around 17 or so a month, trips probably around 5-7 days each, all things considered, some longer, some shorter. You'll generally spend at least two nights in ANC while coming or going to HKG from your satellite base in LAX, JFK, etc, with a couple in HKG for good measure. Eat a beef burger in the Lion Rock, it takes away the Wanch hangover. Stay away from the Headland gay bar, no chicks to be had there. Good luck with your search!:)

ScratchF15
13th Sep 2006, 05:17
I am big into QOL and family time, looking for minimum nights away and time away from base. Does the ANC base help with that since most of the freight seems to stop through there? IE - More out and back type of flying done into Asia or down into the US and back...

joejet727
13th Sep 2006, 05:35
Actually, ANC is a voluntary base. By the end of the year, there should only be a half a dozen CX pilots based there. A typical schedule will have you working 14 days, with a couple of "reserve days" before your trip. Normally (4) 4-day trips. If you live in base you will be home much more than a typical North American based pilot. Almost all the flying for ANC pilots is to HKG and back. Don't plan on commuting if your based in ANC, there are so many NWA, FedEx, UPS, Atlas, Alaska pilots ahead of you, that non-reving is impossible on a good day. Remember there are no jump seats available to Cathay pilots. 42-days of Vacation for ALL pilots. There is the ability to request specific days off before the bids are created. Hope this helps.

Cheers.....happy CX pilot

ScratchF15
13th Sep 2006, 12:06
That information helps with my decision making. I am appreciative of your time.

ScratchF15
15th Sep 2006, 19:59
Wondering how long the layovers would be in HKG or the lower 48 out of the ANC domicile? Min, Max, Avg would be great...

Also, what is considered timing out in a month at Cathay? 90hrs.?

As Always, Thanks.

Diesel8
16th Sep 2006, 02:46
Is ORD still a feasible base, ie possible to get or is it being scaled down?

dragon501
16th Sep 2006, 04:52
If you are so into QOL and min time away from home.. Don't start flying freighters matey.. That's prob the best tip u'll get....

bobmij
17th Sep 2006, 22:34
Can anyone provide me with accurate up to date numbers and types of the Cathay cargo fleet. Website seems to be out of date.
Ta.

bigbeerbelly
17th Sep 2006, 23:36
Scroll down to Fleet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Pacific

:8
BBB