PDA

View Full Version : Virus checker question

clicker
12th Sep 2006, 21:27
Hi,

I am running Norton anti-virus software with windows XP and find that it has a habit of checking files that are already on my hard drives which have already been checked by the software.

With some large files this can be a pain in the backside. Is there anyway I can tell the software to ignore stuff its reading from the hard drive?

Thanks clicker

Saab Dastard
12th Sep 2006, 21:47
Have you tried the "Help" in Norton?

Search help for ignore list or exclusions.

SD

P.Pilcher
12th Sep 2006, 21:48
Judging by what everyone else says, your only cure is to remove Norton and use some other (free) virus protection software such as AVG or Avast. Regrettably, removing Norton isn't easy - I wonder why? Anyway, if you browse this forum, you will find tons of recent posts on Norton and its removal.

P.P.

Tarq57
12th Sep 2006, 22:47
All A/V's I've used check all files during a scheduled or manual scan, unless you've configured it to ignore them. To as Mr Dastaard says.
If you dion't like Norton, there are plenty of good alternatives.

clicker
12th Sep 2006, 23:14
Thanks,

It's not that I don't like norton but its a pain that it way it checks things that are already on the hard drive.

I can understand also why it runs when downloading or installing a new program but why does it have to check a database i've written thats currently on my hard drive every time its accessed.

I am aware that you can exclude certain file types but I don't want to run a risk of it checking downloaded files of a similar type or extn.

cheers clicker

Tarq57
13th Sep 2006, 07:52
Sounds like it's set to run scheduled scans at set times, eg a certain time of day, or at start up etc. Find the control for this and disable it. Just run a manual scan once a week (or monthly, or something). The reason for scanning is that sometimes stuff can slip through the shield if it's brand new and not on the definitions yet. It could then worm it's way into just about anything, but mostly they seem to like system files I think.Do update the def's frequently. Auto update is good. Sorry if this is a bit basic.