PDA

View Full Version : Internet explorer slow loading

modelman
12th Sep 2006, 20:50
I have had a Dell Dimension 3000 for about 18mths and it has been working great.
I use BT broadband with their voyager 105 modem.

In the last couple of weeks I am having many problems.

I can connect to broadband quickly and the IE6 homepage ( Google in my case) loads straightway.If I then try to Google or use any favourites or access my email,I can go and make a cup of tea in the time it takes to load.Once I have reached the first other URL, IE6 performs quite well if a little slow.Sometimes it never loads the URL and it's ctr-alt-del time.
Another problem is logging on-if another user in my house tries to log on after the first user you keep getting returned to the log in window.

I am getting to the stage of thinking about backing up all my valuable folders and reformatting the HD

I am running McAfee security suite on this m/c which has always made the boot up a little slow.
This is driving me mad.I am not too up on sorting computer problems ( I can drive one but can't fix anything major)

Please help
Modelman

frostbite
12th Sep 2006, 21:27
First step should be to try another browser such as Firefox or Opera.

If that works, then stick with it.

Saab Dastard
12th Sep 2006, 21:45
Get yourself a hardware firewall, remove McAfee (except for AV).

SD

All Ahead Full
13th Sep 2006, 07:45
You could also try deleting the temporary internet files
Tools, Internet Options, look for the box the says 'temporary internet files' and click the delete files button.

Also - run a file virus scan, and defragment your hard disk - to do this -

Start, Program, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter - this will take some time though

Keef
13th Sep 2006, 08:52
How much free disk space is there on your hard drive? Things slow up drastically when it gets below about 15%.

Check for viruses! I'd also be inclined to dump the "paid for" AV and use AVG - it's free, it's extremely reliable, and it doesn't clog up the machine like Norton and McAfee do.

You can't "remove" IE from your machine without a major effort, but try switching to Firefox - it has many advantages. You may like it enough to switch your e-mail to its brother Thunderbird.