PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Heli rating to an FAA fixed wing...

727 exec
12th Sep 2006, 11:07
Please excuse a humble plank driver who feels humbled to be on the Rotorheads page...but...

Hold a FAA ATP with lots of BizJet time and thinking about adding a heli rating so as to be able to multi task (the Boss has a couple of twin helis on the FAA register).

I'm just trying to get clear in my mind what I'd have to do to add the heli rating with commercial privileges. I think I can just do an 'add on' in about 25 hours, but you would know for sure - wouldn't you??!!

Thank you muchly

ps any ideas of the bestest place to do this either in the UK or the US of A...

Whirlygig
12th Sep 2006, 11:11
In the UK and JAA land, the helicopter licence is totally separate from fixed wing and won't be an add-on. There would be very little point in doing the FAA rating here as it's more expensive as well.

Cheers

Whirls

SASless
12th Sep 2006, 11:18

The Commercial add-on is quite easy to do...the ATP for a current Biz Jet driver should not be all that difficult if you can remember how to hand fly the machines.

A quick check of Part 61 under the Commerical Helicopter and ATP helicopter sections will lead you to the correct answer. You are correct in thinking it not that big a deal. Read down to the portion of the reg that deals with "additional ratings" and you will see it.

727 exec
12th Sep 2006, 11:20
Thanks Whirls...

Yes - I guess it'll be away to America to do the FAA Heli Rating then... seriously expensive to do it here!

Thanks!!

SASless
12th Sep 2006, 11:23
(c) For a helicopter rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating must log at least 150 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in helicopters.

(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least—

(i) 35 hours in helicopters; and

(ii) 10 hours in cross-country flight in helicopters.

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(3) of this part that includes at least—

(i) 10 hours of instrument training in an aircraft;

(ii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a helicopter in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a helicopter in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(iv) 3 hours in a helicopter in preparation for the practical test within the 60-day period preceding the date of the test.

(4) 10 hours of solo flight in a helicopter on the areas of operation listed in §61.127(b)(3) of this part, which includes at least—

(i) One cross-country flight with landings at a minimum of three points, with one segment consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern).

For the ATP Helicopter....

§ 61.161 Aeronautical experience: Rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating.

(a) A person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating, must have at least 1,200 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:

(1) 500 hours of cross-country flight time;

(2) 100 hours of night flight time, of which 15 hours are in helicopters;

(3) 200 hours of flight time in helicopters, which includes at least 75 hours as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties of a pilot in command under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof; and

(4) 75 hours of instrument flight time in actual or simulated instrument meteorological conditions, of which at least 50 hours are obtained in flight with at least 25 hours in helicopters as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties of a pilot in command under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof.

(b) Training in a flight simulator or flight training device may be credited toward the instrument flight time requirements of paragraph (a)(4) of this section, subject to the following:

(1) Training in a flight simulator or a flight training device must be accomplished in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents a rotorcraft.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, an applicant may receive credit for not more than a total of 25 hours of simulated instrument time in a flight simulator and flight training device.

(3) A maximum of 50 hours of training in a flight simulator or flight training device may be credited toward the instrument flight time requirements of paragraph (a)(4) of this section if the aeronautical experience is accomplished in an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

elena
12th Sep 2006, 11:36
The 50hrs of helicopter time for a CPL ad-on are based on Part 61.
It's possible to get your CPL ad-on with even less time (35hrs heli time) if you go through Part 141.
Of course, we are just talking about legal minimums, nothing practical, not even operational...

B Sousa
12th Sep 2006, 13:01
Many schools will gladly convert your Pounds into smoke. Just beware of any contracts that want money up front and make you buy the whole thing. Also study the regs to know exactly what you need.

And also remember that Fixed Wing money is what allowed you to have Helicopter fun.

In researching these forums, this school seems to have a good reputation. http://www.heli.com/mainmenu.html

rick1128
12th Sep 2006, 16:08
Having recently gone through this process and having a similar background as you, I will point out a few things.

First, the minimums are just that minimums. If you can go to a school and work at it straight out, you MIGHT do it close to the minimum times. If you ttry to fit in lessons as you can, it will take much longer. The average this way is closer to 100 hours.

Second, forget just about everything you learned flying fixed wings. It will take several hours just to get used to the approach speeds. H-LL, I taxi faster than that!! Plus the approaches are not stablized like the fixed wing community understands stablized approaches.

You will do things much slower, as far as controlling the helicopter, that a F/W. But things happen much quicker. Some things do carry over. Cross country planning is much the same, as is weather and weight and balance. Many of the visual clues you use in the F/W work the same in the helicopter. If you go thisd route, find a good school that will work with you.