PDA

View Full Version : Piano Burning

Happy Dayz
11th Sep 2006, 20:10
Can anyone help me out, i am trying to find out why we burn pianos at dining in/out nights and in the memory of our fallen friends.
I have recently been involved in a few at Isk and would like to know the reasons behind it.
Many thanks in advance.

Legalapproach
11th Sep 2006, 20:17
Because its a bloody good grin!! Why else?

Happy Dayz
11th Sep 2006, 20:26
yeh fair one legalapproach. just wondering if there was anything deeper to it.

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
11th Sep 2006, 21:10
Be patient, one of the PPRuNe Military Aircrew senior management will be with you shortly. Especially as you've been doing it for the correct reason.

During the war.....

Olly O'Leg
11th Sep 2006, 21:14
Having been there when many a piano has been burnt, I can vouch for the "Bl00dy good grin" reason, but I went hunting on t'internet and found this......

http://www.vanceairscoop.com/story.php?story_id=1689&c=f88&PHPSESSID=aff8bac07294f3397e4b89c356c75a9b

Legalapproach
11th Sep 2006, 21:21
Bapty, are you out there? If so explain to the chaps will you.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
11th Sep 2006, 21:23
I was told that it stems from the Battle of Britain. If the guy that normally played the mess piano didn't return from flying duties that day they would burn 'his' piano as a sign of respect.
Of course the old codger that told me that could have just been making up an excuse to burn our piano after a BoB dinner. It would have been rude not to help them though ;)

Blacksheep
12th Sep 2006, 00:41
It isn't just pilots who burn pianos.
"The Chalet Club" (NAAFI) at Changi was a three story building with the Sports Store occupying the ground floor. The Pig's Bar (Fans) and Smoothies Bar (Air-Con) were located on the top floor. The staircase ran straight across the front of the building, meaning you could see all the way up as you ascended. There was a landing on the second floor, half way up. Ascending the stairs one pay night, I was half way up the first flight when a blazing piano appeared at the top landing, courtesy of 205 Sqn Male Voice Choir, and began the descent. I ran up the rest of the first flight and just made it into the safety of the second floor doorway as the blazing piano passed by on its journey to the sports store.

Two months later a new piano was installed in the Pig's Bar, safely ensconced in a protective cage with two holes provided for the driver to put his arms through, and a cut out below for access to the accelerator and brake pedals. (Some wag later used the holes to paint it pink.)

Dunhovrin
12th Sep 2006, 02:14
I think it stems from a primeval need to congregate around a camp fire and re-affirm the tribal bonds. But I'm sure Cro-magnon man didn't have blunties to bait.

Anyone at Cranditz 1986 remember the fake burner? 57(??) Cse swapped the v. expensive real one for a ringer which was dragged out as a burner. CFI - Mike Cross(??) seen throwing studes off it only to be panned by one of them. PMar - god bless him - still got a tune out of it as it got thunderflashed.

Strange it seemed funnier then.

Dendmar
12th Sep 2006, 04:00
Re: Dunhovrin

About the same era, the CFI's Mini (Green, yellow stripe) replaced by scrap one and burnt outside THOM one Dining In. He was pretty upset and it's still funny!

On another note, at least it was on a Friday; last week went to DIN at Cranditz on a Thursday - it's not the same!

peterperfect
12th Sep 2006, 08:44
I agree with the tribal campfire theory. However theres a combined analogy with the concept that if you have to ask the price of a Rolls Royce you can't afford it...and the oft quoted words of Sir Edmind Hilary. Theres nothing complex to it, its a lark.

Funniest sight was when one eventually set fire to the newly laid tarmac at Aldergrove.

A Royal Marine passing through a RAF base once told the Groupie/PMC the morning after he would like his residual Viking genes to be taken into consideration before the punishment was decided !

raytofclimb
12th Sep 2006, 12:46
Didn't Bader buy a piano for a Mess which was then wheeled blazing out of a first floor window as he wasn't an all too popular chap with those who misunderstood him? Did that start the tradition or follow it?

Seem to remember reading it somewhere.

Ray

The Helpful Stacker
12th Sep 2006, 18:20
'High jinks' or 'criminal damage', I guess it depends which mess you reside in.:rolleyes:

I believe the mess at Locking went through a few pianos.

buoy15
12th Sep 2006, 19:37
Never get stupid and waste Highland Park
Tesco "value vodka" at £6.39 a bottle, is a pretty reliable starter, plus the odd peice of mess kit and ladies underwear to promote the flames

Mighty Norman
12th Sep 2006, 19:47
Aaah...happy memories....Heinz skin burns and redhot nail marks on the soles of the feet.....anyone remember CXX's very own hot-piano-coal walker? nee-naw-nee-naw!!!!

Dan Winterland
13th Sep 2006, 04:02
Dunovrin',

I remeber the fake burner at Cranditz, but I also remeber the bill for the carpet as well! As it was being pushed across the mess foyer to the car park, one of the wheels came off and the corner of the piano gouged a huge furrow in the carpet.

I also remeber that when the fire brigade came to put out the fake car burner, one of us (name withheld to protect the innocent) got into a punch up with a fireman who wanted to put it out but couldn't due to the number of pilots standing on his hose!

Aaah, happy days. But wasn't THOM a cr@p Officer's Mess. Bluntie baiting was the only real amusement.

BEagle
13th Sep 2006, 06:53
Trenchard Hall OM was known as the 'Congo Hilton' when I was a Flt Cdt.

Dreadful 1960s straight line box with no atmosphere. To make it worse, it was full of spanner-w**kers!

ORAC
13th Sep 2006, 07:04
Perhaps some truth? Why pilots torch pianos at club (http://www.vanceairscoop.com/story.php?story_id=1689&c=f88&PHPSESSID=c8826514b631dedfdee36d7560359751) by Lt. Col. Miles Crowell...

Pressonitis
13th Sep 2006, 10:55
Was involved a couple of times with a certain Jag Sqn out of Norfolkshire who had a habit of shipping an upright piano each time they went on a det. Piano was for burning at the det farewell party. The first encounter was when I noticed the piano on a pallet ready for loading. Slightly puzzled, I checked the load manifest -no piano listed. Discussed with the movers & sqn rep and advised that if not on the manifest, it doesn't go on the aircraft. := Left them to get on with the loading. Had a final check down the back prior to pax loading, no piano listed on the manifest and no sight of a piano in the freight load.

On taxiing out after off-load at the destination, was somewhat surprised to see one upright piano being wheeled into Jag sqn det hangar.... Ba$$tards..., how did they manage that?:ugh:

Anyway, about a year later in support of the same sqn on another det. This time, I spoke with the movers who were accompanying us to make sure that no pianos were "smuggled" aboard. On arrival at said sqn airfield dispersal, all freight was laid out ready for the movers to inspect prior to loading. Keen to try and spot any disguised piano - it was a matter of pride now, I walked round with the mover team leader, and we agreed that given the amount of kit being presented, there was no way any piano could be included in the load. :O Happy with this I wandered off and let them get on with the loading. On returning the loading was almost complete, and mover team leader was adamant that there was no piano on board. All that remained to load was some baggage, and that would be loaded on the ramp. Happy with that, I left the movers to complete the paperwork.

Arriving at our destination, we had a night stop, so did not see the off-load. However, next morning prior to departing, I was in the sqn det hangar and spotted THE PIANO! :D Hats off to them...., they had done it again!

Suspect that they had dismantled the piano and shipped in pieces in the various boxes and containers, then re-assembled. Either that, or they hide it under the crew bags that were presented on a ready to load weighed and netted pallet, rather than the usual loose bag loads for stacking on the ramp.

Interested to hear if any PPruners were involved in moving sqn pianos on other dets.

peterperfect
13th Sep 2006, 11:04
The last (and final ???) catapault launch in the RN was the Wardroom
piano in Dec 78 off Gibraltar from the 'Old Ark' after the fixed wing had departed; twas borrowed a few years previously from the light blue I believe.

Skunkerama
13th Sep 2006, 11:06
If you had found the piano would you have made them leave it behind and be a party pooper or would you have ripped them a new one for trying to smuggle equipment on the manifest but turned a blind eye for the sake of the farewell doo?

Pressonitis
13th Sep 2006, 11:29
Skunkerama...

If I had found a fully built piano (or parts thereof), on board and not listed as official freight (manifested) then its off.....! Followed by an incident report....

Given that I suspect that the second piano was stripped down and therefore probably hidden among the closed containers, then there is not much that could be done. All the freight was check weighed by movers, so no issues regarding load weight on the trim, which would have been my main concern.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but with a little forethought, contacting the det location ahead of arrival, and getting them to advertise for a cheap upright in their local rag, would probably achieve the same result without all the hassle. :ok:

airborne_artist
13th Sep 2006, 11:47
PP I think it was the custom to "launch" the Wardroom piano off the cat at the end of each commission of a carrier.

John Eacott and others may be along soon to confirm this.

QFIhawkman
13th Sep 2006, 12:57
Pete and Dud are (or were) similarly fired off a cat at the end of one of their series! Attached to an upright piano no less!

Was this because Ark Royal (as I remember it) had come to the end of her commission?

enginesuck
13th Sep 2006, 13:29
Skunkerama...

If I had found a fully built piano (or parts thereof), on board and not listed as official freight (manifested) then its off.....! Followed by an incident report....

Given that I suspect that the second piano was stripped down and therefore probably hidden among the closed containers, then there is not much that could be done. All the freight was check weighed by movers, so no issues regarding load weight on the trim, which would have been my main concern.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but with a little forethought, contacting the det location ahead of arrival, and getting them to advertise for a cheap upright in their local rag, would probably achieve the same result without all the hassle. :ok:

You sir are the finest example of what is wrong with the RAF.
:ugh:

Skunkerama
13th Sep 2006, 13:40
More than his jobsworth..........not a lot.

Bigears
13th Sep 2006, 16:39
QFIhawkman- check your PM's. Ta.

peterperfect
13th Sep 2006, 16:47
QFIhawkman,
Yes, at the end of the final deployment after the jets had flown off for the last time; quite a place to be as a first tourist.
To rub it in, the final 'arrested' landing was a spoof one with a SeaKing and a grapnelling hook on a rope !!
pp

Red Line Entry
16th Sep 2006, 01:48
Actually Beagle, when I went through THOM it had plenty of atmosphere - but then I base that on the people not the building - and most of those people were "spanner-w**kers". Perhaps your perception was based on the view you have out of your own rectum?

Blacksheep
16th Sep 2006, 12:18
Fantastic bite Beags..

...but can you strike and haul it in? :}

BEagle
16th Sep 2006, 14:05
The tiddlers I throw back.

Particularly the oily ones!