PDA

View Full Version : Youngest RAF aircrew in combat?

airborne_artist
11th Sep 2006, 16:02
As we approach Battle of Britain Day, it would be interesting to know, if the information exists, who was the youngest aircrew on an operation in the RAF during WW2. I've read many times about people lying about their age in signing up, but did many actually make it through the system without being rumbled?

oscarh
12th Sep 2006, 09:17
Ron Higgins, who was a PPL flying instructor at Elstree in the late 60s, was reputedly such a person. A very nice and rather private person as I remember. The story was that he joined up at sixteen. Someone must remember him and know or knew him better than me.

Edited to correct the name to ROD Higgins. Spitfires of course, but wasn't everyone?

ORAC
12th Sep 2006, 09:32
Hmm, found this from 2003.....

Sue Horne is trying to find anyone who may have known her late father Kenneth Edward Steele (Ken) who was a rear gunner in a Lancaster with 630 Squadron based at East Kirby, Lincs. Sue believes Ken was one of the youngest aircrew to serve in WWII. Born 1/5/26, Ken lied about his age to join and the MOD wrote to his mother several times for his birth certificate, which she had to say she'd lost. Ken was an outstanding card player and frequently financed his crews' nights out with the proceeds. Ken also boxed for his squadron....

630 Sqn were at East Kirkby Nov 1943 - July 1945. So, assuming he was on the Sqn around the end of 1944, and training, as far as I can ascertain, was about 15-18 months, he must have enlisted around the middle of 1942, when he had just turned 16.....

Tommy Tipee
13th Sep 2006, 15:02
Thomas Dobney added 4 years to his age and joined the RAF as a pilot in 1941 at the age of only 14.
After training in Canada, he was awarded his wings at 15 and was posted to a Whitley bomber squadron.
He flew over 20 operations before his true age was revealed when his estranged father saw him in a phptograph talking to King GeorgeVI who had visited his station in East Anglia.
The astonished father contacted the Air Ministry to ask why his 15 year old
son was dressed in a pilot's uniform and talking to the King. Thus his true age emerged.
He was immediately discharged with a letter saying "The reasons are soley that you are below the minimum age".
He rejoined in 1943, but suffered serious injuries in a crash following an engine failure on take off, and by the time he recovered the war had ended.
He remained in the RAF, flew in the Berlin Airlift and became a pilot in the King's Flight.
He then joined the Metropolitan Police before returning to the RAF as an Air Traffic Controller, and subsequently became a deputy art editor with the Daily Express in Manchester.
Tom Dobney died of cancer in Cheadle Hulme, Cheshire in April 2001.

kofesera
13th Oct 2006, 17:13
I write for the young adult (12+) and had an idea about a very young flyer in WW2..The story of Tommy Tipee is amazing, and I would be very pleased if his family, or those who knew him, would contact me to help me build a profile of what makes a young boy of 14 determined to become a combat flyer. Any anecdotes about his service career (Ops etc) would bemost welcome. Thank you. Brian Lux, 49,Abbey Rd, Llandudno, Conwy LL30 2EH. E:[email protected] Tel: 01492 860156