PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Gig

on21
10th Sep 2006, 22:31
I've just watched the Leeds Robbie gig on Sky, and noticed even the Helicopter pilot got a mention!
He's a hell of a showman, and I bet it was spectacular from the air.
The only down side to it all, is your not going to have the same trouble with the groupies, and you'll probably miss the after show party.:ugh:

Whirlygig
10th Sep 2006, 22:37
... and noticed even the Helicopter pilot got a mention!
He's a hell of a showman ....

What, the pilot? Was he flying a Robbie? ;)

Cheers

Whirls

Revolutionary
10th Sep 2006, 22:50
With a Williams engine?

ShyTorque
11th Sep 2006, 08:10
I'm not sure how to Take that.

John Eacott
11th Sep 2006, 10:35
and noticed even the Helicopter pilot got a mention!

I've never understood why the UK media (BBC TV, ITV et al) have such an aversion to including the helicopter pilot in programme credits. We are nearly always credited here, yet I've been treated with absolute amazement by UK production companies when the issue has been raised.

Considering that the likes of Castle contribute shots that make or break some BBC productions, the lack of recognition is disappointing: especially when the credits include such important people as the 2nd Unit assistant bottle washer :rolleyes:

Whirlygig
11th Sep 2006, 10:57
Many of the Castle Air pilots do get credited (one even has his own fan club!!) but some from other companies don't! I know two pilots, from two separate operators who worked on the Alan Titmush "Natural History of the British Isles"; one got a credit, the other didn't (and was miffed!).

The BBC used to have a policy that if somebody's work had a direct impact on the programme quality, then they got a credit. However, it appears now that you only get a credit if you're in favour with the producer.

Cheers

Whirls

farmpilot
11th Sep 2006, 13:35
The BBC used to have a policy that if somebody's work had a direct impact on the programme quality, then they got a credit. However, it appears now that you only get a credit if you're in favour with the producer.

I'm not sure about that..... I was a clapper loader, focus puller and then underwater camera operator on many jobs for the BBC and always got a credit.
As a technician it's really the only way you can prove you did something!
On the other hand credits are expensive so I can kind of understand not getting one if you only guest on a job, but if the whole show is based around a helicopter then you should get one.
Pilots who have worked with me have got credits.
farmpilot

Whirlygig
11th Sep 2006, 13:46
I'm not sure about that..... I was a clapper loader, focus puller and then underwater camera operator on many jobs for the BBC and always got a credit.
Doesn't a camera operator have some input into the programme quality? So of course you got a credit in the olden days! More than a production accountant anyway and they seem to be the ones who get credits now!

I do have inside knowledge of the machinations and mindset of the Beeb BTW!!

Cheers

Whirls

farmpilot
11th Sep 2006, 13:51
But not as a loader, I used to turn up, do the job, take the money and go home!

I guess it's changed now. Sad as it used to be great seeing your name after things...... must get out more!

Daifly
11th Sep 2006, 18:10
It was Aeromega I think?!

I remember the first time I had to phone Keith from Castle Air for a charter quote - I was dead excited as he was Keith off Treasure Hunt.

I'm not sure if that makes me sad, or just still in touch with my youth...

;)

helidriver
11th Sep 2006, 18:42
Who flew Robbie this time? Anyone know? Saw the concert - missed the credits!

Cheers

helidriver

Hilico
12th Sep 2006, 19:20
"Credits are expensive"? How expensive can four more words exposed for a tenth of a second be? Programme I sometimes work on, it's just the VT editor typing them in - hardly a humungous overhead.

FloaterNorthWest
12th Sep 2006, 19:50
Helidriver,

Usually Harrods.

FNW

John Eacott
21st Sep 2006, 12:29
"Britain AD" 1st Ep has just finished on our ABC: lovely lot of aerials (15% of total vision?), even closing shots of the film ship.

Credits? Not a mention :ugh: :oh:

Yet the programme would have fallen totally in interest without the helicopter :rolleyes:

Capt Hollywood
21st Sep 2006, 13:21
I did a Hollywood movie a few years ago John and had three roles. They painted one of our Jetrangers as a Police chopper for the movie and I flew it, they put a side mount on another Jetranger and we filmed several scenes and I had a 'walk on' part in one of the final scenes, although I was waaaaaaaaaaay in the background! Sat right through the credits and NOTHING! :{

CH :cool:

Now you know where the username comes from!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/danodwyer/Hosted%20pics/Policechopper1.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/danodwyer/Hosted%20pics/Policechopper3.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/danodwyer/Hosted%20pics/Policechopper2.jpg

yellowbird135
21st Sep 2006, 13:44
Have done my share of tv/film work both as cam platform and props. I was never mentioned in the credits as far as I know, but who cares.....as long as they pay the bill. I don't know a soul who's interested in those credits.
I noticed in this and several other threads that it seems to matter to be mentioned.

John Eacott
21st Sep 2006, 21:48
I don't know a soul who's interested in those credits.
I noticed in this and several other threads that it seems to matter to be mentioned.

If you want repeat work, that's where the production companies look. Word of mouth works slowly in the film industry; The Production Book and online credit sites are much more effective :ok:

Capt Hollywood
21st Sep 2006, 23:54
And it makes it much easier to prove to your mates and that girl you're trying to impress that you were actually in the movie. :ok: It's pays if it's a good movie too, I think that's where I went wrong. :}