PDA

View Full Version : what's your experience?

dartagnan
10th Sep 2006, 16:09
just a little sondage on your experience.

slightly over1500h TT, mainly single time, 400 light multi, UK JAA frozen.
still looking after 2 years!

inner
12th Sep 2006, 17:47
I don't understand this, so many hours and nobody interested??? I wish i had this amount of hours.

grtz

Megaton
12th Sep 2006, 17:59
Time, place and luck, unfortunately. I got my first commercial job a couple of years ago with 50 multi and 300 hrs SEP. Now flying the A319/320/321. There's no secret, just good fortune, timing and perserverence.

Callsign Kilo
12th Sep 2006, 18:03
Just over 200 hours and rhs on an A320 for a major uk carrier!

Spent just over 80k on my training in little over a year, however got 3 interviews on completion, resulting in 3 job offers - obviously went with BA....ooops...shouldn't really drop the name of my employer, but aren't you all envious as hell????

Sorry guys, only joking, couldn't resist some light hearted humour :p

Callsign Kilo
12th Sep 2006, 18:06
Bugger, don't I just feel like a prize pratt!....I must have posted about the same time as the guy above.....oops :uhoh:

sidtheesexist
12th Sep 2006, 18:56
duir - many congrats on your perserverence paying off. Callsign Kilo(guess which fashion house you patronise...) - I can assure you that envy is not one of the reactions your tongue - in - cheek (smug) post generates. You probably have no concept of the sacrifices others put themselves through to get a sniff of the privileged position you now find yourself in............. :=

dartagnan
12th Sep 2006, 19:02
inner,

many guys say the same thing, but some airlines have turn me down cus I have to much experience and they were looking for inexperienced pilots.

I wish to have no experience.

Hansard
12th Sep 2006, 19:14
Still looking but first interview at 550 hours (messed up the sim) and second interview at 750 (more candidates than jobs and I didn't get in). Third time lucky hopefully!

sagaris
12th Sep 2006, 19:51
sidthesexist, Callsign Kilo, though not as tacful as others was merely answering the thread question. He's undoubtedly done very well for himself, and will reap the rewards in due course. He has chosen the training method which suits him, and he is clearly the low hours guy (of good calibre) which the airlines want. For this, he can't exactly be held responsible. You talk of envy not being a reaction, though to the outsider - guess what it looks like!:D It is not his duty to shower pity on the many which are still looking for their big break.

Congrats CK, enjoy a very rewarding career. Maybe I should ask if you were modular or integrated - so to start off another thread where you can be flamed and bashed for taking the choices which suited you, and where you can be discredited for being made of the right stuff!

sagaris
12th Sep 2006, 20:27
Its a possibility, though it wouldn't explain the post he made immediately afterwards..

papazulu
12th Sep 2006, 22:27
Time, place and luck, unfortunately. I got my first commercial job a couple of years ago with 50 multi and 300 hrs SEP. Now flying the A319/320/321. There's no secret, just good fortune, timing and perserverence.

True...May I extend the thread subject a bit (with dartagnan permission, of course...)?
What else together with the above (experience) helped you to make the turn? SSTR? A friend who told to a friend of a friend...? Networking...? And at what "price"?

BTW: somewhere between 300 and 400 SEP, IR & MEP exp :{ , empty wallet, MCC and FI but starving for hrs...Bad days, thinking to throw the towel, but reasons are many and this is not the place.

All the best fellas!

PZ :ok:

Callsign Kilo
13th Sep 2006, 07:34
Ahhh....sorry guys....a lot of you have taken my silly statement a little out of context. As duir suggests, I was poking a little fun in the direction of the low houred integrated guys who walk out of the likes of OAT, FTE etc with our 'dream job' in the rhs for a major jet operator. It's merely something that happens, and without doubt a position that I would love to be in. And to add, if I were in that position, I wouldn't be coming on here and rubbing anyones nose in it!!! Sorry for the confusion.

mikehammer
13th Sep 2006, 08:08
Apologies for being dim.

Bluebaron
13th Sep 2006, 08:46
Hello chaps just thought i would add my 2 pence worth.

It took me 5 years to secure my first airline job. After 2 years of job hunting i did a FI course. I secured my first job after 3 years with just over 1000 hours (mostly single piston) although due to sept 11 started amost 5 years to the day of getting my IR.

It can be a difficult time and after 3 years in a job i still remember how frustrated i was.:ugh: My only advice is to keep sending out those CV's and remain as current as you can including flying as regularly as possible. (ie you can afford).

good luck :cool:

buzzc152
13th Sep 2006, 09:09
850 TT, approx 300 multi piston and increasing every week.

Aerial survey pilot on C402/404

sidtheesexist
13th Sep 2006, 13:24
Well CK you reeled me in also..........:O Sagaris, I feel like suggesting that you too 'erm... shut up'. You know absolutely nothing about my current situation or the route by which I arrived here! Once again, I can confirm that I am not in anyway envious of the (fictitious) scenario in which CK finds himself in - how can I be???? Is the small,brown coin starting on it's journey downwards yet? :rolleyes:

Seeing and having seen the trials and tribulations some of my mates (I know, it's hard to believe, but I have a few...) are going/ have gone through to get that elusive first commercial job, I was merely trying to express some sympathy/empathy and solidarity.... Some of the words you have used in your post (in particular, the last two sentences) are, I would venture to suggest, quite revealing. :ok:

sagaris
13th Sep 2006, 14:23
And what, may I ask, do they reveal? This is a genuine question, as the last 2 sentences in my initial post were firstly a congratulatory one, and secondly a question more than anything else.

For the record, I had about 1000 hrs TT, of which 750 TP before securing a 320 LCC job. The cost? Lots.

Will964
13th Sep 2006, 14:41
500 hours total, 200 hours multi turbine command accumulated over 8 years, no job, no interviews and had enough. Throwing in the towel and heading for warmer climes! Still glad I tried though :ok:

Desert Budgie
13th Sep 2006, 16:36
5 years since beginning training. 6 months flying glued and hammered together light multi pistons. 700tt, 350me and first 'proper' job as B1900 f/o. No rush to move onto the jets, having too much fun. Lots of banging on doors and being a pain in the ass to a couple of employers, they had to give me a job just to shut me up!

DB :ok:

AlternativeProcedure
13th Sep 2006, 20:43
2 years after finishing the dreaded JAA IR, 600TT, 350 ME Turbine time(DHC-6, DHC-8). Do what ever it takes folks, sitting in that cockpit being served Tea/Coffee at altitude has to be the icing on the cake.
AP

lennu
14th Sep 2006, 15:00
First and at the moment only job on small TP, 1year after gettin the whole deal fATLP+CPL/IR+MEP. TT400 MP200
If it want so damn hard to get a job flying then i would have left the company after few weeks. :ugh:

lennu

Ennie
15th Sep 2006, 07:58
1800 hours total, 1100 F50, 500 B737 (3-900), 200 MEP/SEP.

First Job, 1 year after finishing intergrated course with uk company with Dutch connection, now 737 with Dutch major, now 27. I've been very lucky, all I could advise is don't give up, when you get there it's well worth it.

captain high
15th Sep 2006, 08:10
For all those struggling in their first job or awaiting their first opportunity, remember churchill's saying:

"If you're going through hell, keep going"

Jinkster
15th Sep 2006, 15:50
450hrs TT
60hrs ME inc 10hrs P1
Flying Instructor
JAA Frozen ATPL
Age 23

1 interview - told 3 weeks later only want captains!

Still bashing out CV's and working full time as an FI

flyingguild
16th Sep 2006, 22:55
850 TT
400 A320

FI at 350 hours (right place right time) - Job!

Extreamly Lucky.. at 400 hrs UK Charter Carrier A320/321.

Keep Trying - There are increasing opportunities throughout the industry.

flyingguild :)

razzele
17th Sep 2006, 09:06
1050tt
250mep

ex FI

now mep spa ifr charters !

If u understand what that means u probably deserve a job in a big shiny chunk of heavy metal!

razzele

:ok:

avrodamo
17th Sep 2006, 10:05
510 TT
50 Multi
FI Rating
CPL/IR in Dec 2004
SSTR on 737 in Feb 2006
3 Interviews afterwards
Interview Jun 06 with my employer
Now employed on the 737
Aged 36.
I am a very lucky lad indeed!

wingbar
17th Sep 2006, 22:40
luck..mmm..access to funding for trs?

avrodamo
18th Sep 2006, 11:13
Well the funds did not come easily. House is heavily remortgaged. Had to be done otherwise i would still be sending out CVs in excahange for PFO letters!

Megaton
18th Sep 2006, 14:33
What Avrodamo doesn't tell you is that he sold his body on the streets of Corby to fund his TR. He even borrowed a copper's uniform for the more bizarre requests!

avrodamo
18th Sep 2006, 15:15
Thats totally true! Occasionally i even had to prostitute myself as a real copper and do Police work. The things we do to fly!!
Ham...if you want to borrow the coppers uniform now your Batman suit is ruined after the accident with you jumping off the top of the wardrobe then its yours!

Megaton
18th Sep 2006, 15:22
Now you know that I don't use the Batman suit anymore :) Anyway, shouldn't you be studying instead of pottering about on here?

avrodamo
18th Sep 2006, 15:28
I am having a break and a power nap.The 'Long Good Friday' was on the box. Its a classic. Had to watch it!

FunFlyin
18th Sep 2006, 16:09
Hmmm about

500TT now
350ish DHC8 time.

Loving every minute of it

AlternativeProcedure
18th Sep 2006, 18:09
FunFlyin,

what airline do u fly for and what series of the Dash do u fly? PM me if u wish.

AP