PDA

View Full Version : Sky Cops BBC1 Wednesday 13th 8pm

HOGE
10th Sep 2006, 14:30
Not sure if this has been posted already.

8:00 pm
Sky Cops
Bang to Rights: Jamie Theakston narrates a series about helicopter police in South Yorkshire. Car thieves are making life hell for the police so the team of 11 sky cops are brought in to help. [S]

rotorcraig
10th Sep 2006, 14:51
team of 11 sky copsBig heli, then?

RC

Colonal Mustard
10th Sep 2006, 18:25
Not sure if this has been posted already.
8:00 pm
Sky Cops
Bang to Rights: Jamie Theakston narrates a series about helicopter police in South Yorkshire. Car thieves are making life hell for the police so the team of 11 sky cops are brought in to help. [S]

Not that Pox* jamie Theaky tweekt again :eek:

Coconutty
11th Sep 2006, 16:18
( "What's on TV" - Review Page 26 )
Inspector Helen Scothern leads a team of 18 men
( or "Acting" Inspector if you read the listing on P.62 :rolleyes: )
and
... the series will also follow the London Metropolitan Police team, which has never previously allowed camera access

Should make an interesting comparison - South Yorkshire's MD902 and the Met's Squirrel(s) ;)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

fkelly
11th Sep 2006, 16:50
Will they be discussing serviceability?

Coconutty
13th Sep 2006, 20:04
Well it was worth watching just to see Helen Scothern's Nail varnish :ok:

Why did they feel the need to dub audio tracks from what sounded like Microsoft's Flight Sim Jet Ranger ( and others ) ?

ase engineer
13th Sep 2006, 20:08
and what bits of the display were fuzzed out....and why?

Whirlygig
13th Sep 2006, 20:11
"It's pitch black out there" - cut to shot of full moon! :ugh: Fabulous narrative :rolleyes:

But why does an observer using a laptop sized keyboard wear gloves? It looked most cack-handed!

Cheers

Whirls

HOGE
13th Sep 2006, 20:14
A great advert for the 902's reliability.....:hmm:

cptjim
13th Sep 2006, 20:16
Good to watch but I found myself getting really :mad: off at the :mad: dubbed heli sound, I heard Jetranger, Bell 47, and something that sounded like a cross between a Huey and a CH47 Chinook! :ugh:

What is wrong with these people? :*

Coconutty
13th Sep 2006, 20:20
Whirls :

Don't know when it was filmed but even in the Summer at 1000 - 1500 ft or so I would imagine it gets pretty nippy with the side door open may be one answer .... or maybe its just the feel of the leather on the skin :rolleyes:

Whirlygig
13th Sep 2006, 20:26
Coconutty, it must be the feel of leather :ok: They're rufty-tufty Northerners ferchris'sakes! If a nesh Southerner like me can cope, so can they!

Cheers

Whirls

Coconutty
13th Sep 2006, 20:40
Maybe they have all got "Tiger Nails" and the gloves are for protection :p

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/TigerNails.jpg

muffin
14th Sep 2006, 07:00
I was pleased to see an occasional contributor to this forum being interviewed (who also taught me to fly). I believe this was filmed a couple of months ago.

rotorspin
14th Sep 2006, 07:53
my wife (who has a fear of flying and has never stepped foot in my heli) saw the look on the engineers face when he was changing the fuel valve and said "he doesn't seem to know what he's doing!! Are the engineers you use like that?"

I say "cough, cough, no, no dear..er....of course not......":cool:

Teefor Gage
14th Sep 2006, 08:10
rotorspin
The engineer didn't give me that much confidence either. "If I can replace this fuel valve without taking the floor up it will be much quicker......." and eventually having to give in and take the floor up in order to get the job done.
Anybody have any idea what it says in the maintenance manual for this machine?

Bolk
14th Sep 2006, 10:14
I bet PAS are really chuffed with the BBC. We all know that aircraft go tech but a large portion of joe public won't see it that way.

To fill a large part of the program with engineers working on the aircraft that the public have just been told cost them £4 million whilst offenders are seen to be getting away, probably didn't show Police ASU's in the best light (902 reliability debates aside). Especially when coupled with a narrative explaining that the aircrew didn't know where they were and couldn't effectively direct ground resources. We all become 'unsure of position' at times. Balanced reporting? I dunno'.

I suppose we take a risk that the editing will be kind to us when we get involved with TV and I think that most producers are responsible but there's always the chance of a bloody nose. I'm sure HEMS feel the same following 'Golden Hour'.

Did that turn into a rant? Sorry!

bladefold
14th Sep 2006, 11:40
rotorspin

I know of that engineer and from what i've heard he does know what he's doing :)

teefor gauge

Maybe you should have watched the program more closely I think eventually he said he managed to change the valve without removing the floor :)

Come on guys leave engineering to the engineers and stick to flying, as an engineer myself one thing I definitely dislike is a pilot telling me how to do my job, I wouldn't tell you guys how to fly!!!!!!!!!

Stringfellow Dork
14th Sep 2006, 11:55
Come on guys leave engineering to the engineers and stick to flying, as an engineer myself one thing I definitely dislike is a pilot telling me how to do my job, I wouldn't tell you guys how to fly!!!!!!!!!

I do agree, but you must be able to forgive pilots a little edginess. An engineer's work could have a direct effect on a pilots longevity. That doesn't usually apply the other way round. :}

:ok:

Lokon
14th Sep 2006, 12:26
TV editing! DE is a good engineer.
I would think he was refering to removing the whole Explorer floor to get at that valve, as it was, it looked like he got it through the small access panel in the corner. The panel that was removed looked like an avionics bay...TV editing again.

bladefold
14th Sep 2006, 12:58
Point taken Stringfellow, mind you in the heli world its my experience that the engineer often goes up on an airtest post maintenance :ok:

malreeves
14th Sep 2006, 17:09
Good day all,
Time to stick the bald top above the parapit.............!
Our 902 has, I believe, a better than average servicability rate. Our engineers are second to none and before comments are made about them I think we should trawl through the footage that's on the floor of the cutting-room which would answer a lot of the comments.
And finally, I thought it was interesting that during the filming here in Sheffield - during which the "fuel-smell" saga was filmed and cured - all three of the Met Aircraft were grounded for some 10 days. Where was the thread about that?
It will be interesting to compare the subsequent programmes.
OK - head going below the parapit again
Mal

doublesix
14th Sep 2006, 17:23
Whirls and others. In case you really don't know why the observers wear gloves, it's because in case of a cockpit fire they may be able to assist in fire fighting without getting their hands fried.

handysnaks
14th Sep 2006, 19:24
Hello Mal, I wondered if all this would get you out here.....................and whatever happened to bograt?:) :p

Daft bat
17th Sep 2006, 20:14
The BBC have been filming the progress of the Met's 145's as they have gone through their various state of fit outs. They were filming last month at Mac's at Oxford where they are being fitted out with their role equipment.
So expect an episode on the first British 145 Police Chopper.
On a different matter heard a rumor that the Met (not confirmed) are increasing the basic pay before allowances for their pilots to 60K.

Brilliant Stuff
18th Sep 2006, 12:58
On a different matter heard a rumor that the Met (not confirmed) are increasing the basic pay before allowances for their pilots to 60K.

:E :E :E :E :E :E

Coconutty
5th Oct 2006, 09:05
Series seems to be getting better as it progresses ( Ignoring some of the drivvle that PC Scothern comes out with ) :ok:

MAJOR niggle though - Officers on the "Ocean" patrol are alerted in the early hours to a high powered car being stolen.....

Purely down to some poetic editing I'm sure but Jamie Theakston needs to take a look at the Trade Descriptions Act - It was a Ford Ka ! :eek:

Minty Fresh
5th Oct 2006, 09:51
Yep, they're clearly gonna need all the power of the tuned up £30k Mitsubushi Evo to catch that one !!

Fortyodd2
5th Oct 2006, 10:44
Aw c'mon chaps, be fair - that was a pretty awsome looking bread and butter pudding!! Mal, you can be my wingman anytime!! :D:)

Lord Mount
5th Oct 2006, 13:35
I missed last nights thrilling instasllment.
Does anyone know if it is repeated later in the week?

special02
5th Oct 2006, 22:17
Can't be bothered to watch it again. Never seen so many primadona's in one unit. I feel sorry for the police persuit car driver, he must be on a 24hr shift or has South Yorkshire only got 1 traffic cop!!:hmm:

malreeves
6th Oct 2006, 13:07
Primadonna Moi!!!

Head above the parapit time again.......

The TV Unit spent 9 weeks filming every sortie we completed, they visited some of us at home and filmed social as well as work activities.

Out of the god knows many hours of film they selected enough for 3 hours worth of programming, some of it made us cringe too but it was meant to give the general public some insight into the workings of an Air Support Unit - warts an'all.

If the actions depicted caused Specy-something to feel that we were not attempting to portray Air Support in the best light possible........tough s**t. Just remeber that we take a degree of risk in allowing ourselves to be recognisable to the crimunal fraternity as a consequence of the exposure on TV, but if it helps to promote the cause of public support for Police Air Support Operations then so be it.

If you don't like it turn over to Corrie!!

Head going back down again

Cheers

Mal

Minty Fresh
6th Oct 2006, 14:06
I enjoyed it and really didn't think you came accross that way. You can't be held responsible for how the program has been edited (as has been said before)

I remember Doug Hale (who was on a couple of weeks ago) vaguely from his time on the dark side with BRAL as i was at EGSY then. I also know your newest recruit well - god help you :}

I work up the road so next time the bread and butter puddings on ........

(You know you've spent too much time in Yorkshire when you don't waste stale bread!!)

HillerBee
6th Oct 2006, 15:24
I enjoy it as well. You're right about exposing your self to the criminals and showing them your methods as well. And I disagree with the 'Prima Donna' stuff.

The more helicopter flying on television the better. And keep up the good work.

Hillerbee

Coconutty
11th Oct 2006, 14:11
Tonight's episode moves on from the previous PC Scothern shows, and focuses on the Metropolitan Police Air Support Unit, as they patrol the skies over London - Keeping an eye out for problems during the Notting Hill carnival amongst other things. :ok:

Wonder if any interesting facts might emerge about the 3 new EC145's that the Met. are buying ?

007helicopter
11th Oct 2006, 20:21
I personally thought tonight's series about the Notting Hill carnival was excellent, beats a lot of the normal rubbish on....

But thats decided I will not ever be visiting it.

Whirlygig
11th Oct 2006, 20:33
Come to Cromer Carnival then instead! The country's second largest carnival. And we have the Dead Sparrows!

Oh! Did you mean you wouldn't be watching the programme again!

Cheers

Whirls

Helinut
11th Oct 2006, 20:38
Definitely a better than average episode - well done peeps. :ok: :D
Not sure about the statement at the beginning "the only unit providing 24 hr cover 365 days in the UK". What about GMP, Merseyside, Lancs, W Mids, NE .............?
Methinks sometimes that recent converts to the cause are more evangelical than the original. :ok: :D

rotorspin
11th Oct 2006, 21:31
enjoyed this episode as well!

New Twin Squirrel for £1m? Sounds like a bargain! :hmm:

Coconutty
11th Oct 2006, 21:44
Perhaps that was the cost when they were new - 1992 / 94 / 95:rolleyes:

Great programme - ( Did you see how fast those boats were going on the Thames ;) ).

No mention of the EC145 replacements though - maybe next week :ok:

007helicopter
12th Oct 2006, 19:46
Whirls will watch again for sure - Cromer Carnival ? could be the making of the next reailty TV series.

Looking forward to next weeks episode, is it still London ?

mmeteesside
12th Oct 2006, 20:21
From the BBC site it is still London next week, anyone know if this weeks is repeated? I only saw the last 10 mins :{

mmeteesside

brockenspectre
9th Jul 2007, 21:11
Was just flipping channels and stopped at this program currently being shown on UK TV People - it is the S Yorkshire episode and, thus far, shows just how useful are "eyes in the sky"! Why criminal drivers think they can escape/evade once a helo is upon them is beyond me!

Good work to all involved :ok:

OMG I thought the pic of tiger nails was a joke but I just caught sight of them - on the Acting Inspector IN UNIFORM hehehehe

miket_68
9th Jul 2007, 21:27
Excellent timing.
Just read this thread and turned over an hey presto programmes is still on.
Missed half of the episodes last time round so hopefully sky+ will record them all this time.
Always new this late might surfing would be good for something, other than eyestrain.

serf
9th Jul 2007, 21:34
Mouse looks bigger than I remember!

brockenspectre
12th Jul 2007, 21:16
Evenin all! 'tis the Notting Hill Carnival episode of SkyCops being repeated now on UKTV People (2200-2300) in case anyone else is interested :ok:

psyan
13th Jul 2007, 14:54
Serf: "Mouse looks bigger than I remember!" he is - considerably so.

Best Wishes

scruggs
23rd Jul 2007, 17:13
Hi guys,

Apologies for bumping this, can someone confirm that there are indeed only 4 episodes of Sky Cops - 2 from South Yorkshire and 2 from the Met...

Thanks,

S.

PS Mal, that Bread and Butter pudding looked ace!

ShyTorque
23rd Jul 2007, 17:23
There were quite a lot of "Chopper Coppers" though. They originally wanted 26 episodes - and I refused to appear in any of 'em. :=

Bravo73
23rd Jul 2007, 17:52
scruggs,

can someone confirm that there are indeed only 4 episodes of Sky Cops

There are 6 episodes, apparently:

http://www.episodeworld.com/show/Sky_Cops

HTH

scruggs
23rd Jul 2007, 18:52
Ah - many thanks Bravo73. I've seen the four titled episodes - just missing Episode's 2 & 3.

Cheers,

S.

todd198126
17th Aug 2007, 13:03
does anyone have or know were i can get hold of that episode of sky cops please?

scruggs
17th Aug 2007, 13:17
There are some Sky Cops on UKTV on Sat 25th and Sunday 26th August. I'm guessing they will show the entire series over the weekend.

S.

Skycop
17th Aug 2007, 20:36
Best I watch it then, if only for old time's sake :E
Wrong unit, though :p