PDA

View Full Version : Shackleton Photo

Trout99uk
10th Sep 2006, 12:56
I have just found in my photo collection a old black and white photo of a Shackleton and its crew which i think was taken at a RAFA show at Coventry in the early 70s?. I dont seem able to post it on the site but if someone would like to see it please let me know and i will send in on, or if you know how i can post it please do tell.

Regards T99

ZH875
10th Sep 2006, 13:00
Instructions on picture posting are here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=203481)

airborne_artist
10th Sep 2006, 13:14
Trout - if all that's too much for you, send it to me: lollingdon<insert at sign>clara.co.uk and I'll host it and post it.

Weekillie
10th Sep 2006, 13:18
Would love to see that - my grandfather worked on Shackletons and I've had difficulty finding photos of them.

Trout99uk
10th Sep 2006, 13:43
Airborne artist, many thanks for the offer, its on its way fingers crossed.

T99

Trout99uk
10th Sep 2006, 13:50
No the email has bounced back to me. Dont you just love it.

Trout99uk
10th Sep 2006, 14:27
http://static.flickr.com/94/239229525_bea4d39999.jpg?v=0

Trout99uk
10th Sep 2006, 14:30
Got there in the end, it would be nice to hear from anyone who can shed some light on it.

T99

kevmusic
10th Sep 2006, 16:07
It appears to be sitting on its tail. :eek: I thought all Shacks were trikes.

(As an aside, I remember looking at a Shack's tail at the RAF St.Mawgan open day in 1984, and thinking, "Cripes, that bit's pure Lanc, and they're still flying these empennages operationally 40 years on!)

Kev.

kevmusic
10th Sep 2006, 16:11
It appears to be sitting on its tail. :eek: I thought all Shacks were trikes.

:uhoh: Just done a productive Google image search............guess I was wrong! (I'll stick to biplanes)

PPRuNeUser0139
10th Sep 2006, 16:53
I would put the date nearer the late seventies - second from the left is Dave B*c****n, third from the left is Steve P***s*n and next to him is I think Mike Ba***n. Second from the right could be the slimline version of C***s D**n. I can't place the bookends. Could the guy on the the right be a youthful Byattollah..?

sv

PPRuNeUser0139
10th Sep 2006, 17:00
Thinking about it, it looks like the sqn sent a min crew down there - from left to right: flt eng (guess), capt, nav, co-p & 2 back enders.

GlosMikeP
10th Sep 2006, 17:19
I would put the date nearer the late seventies - second from the left is Dave B*c****n, third from the left is Steve P***s*n and next to him is I think Mike Ba***n. Second from the right could be the slimline version of C***s D**n. I can't place the bookends. Could the guy on the the right be a youthful Byattollah..?

sv
Sidevalve

I agree. They all look familiar and Steve P****s*n is a definite. Must be 1980 or later as he joined after me.

GlosMikeP

Kidderminster Kid
10th Sep 2006, 20:40
I would say that that was either '83 or '84. Agree with the DB SP & MB in the photo - the grey matter fails me on the others!

Pontius Navigator
11th Sep 2006, 08:43
agree with Kidderminster kid, (kiddo?) about the date as I don't recognise the bookends unless the right is flt eng and left is not wearing a name badge but is wearing brown boots so probably not a crew chief.

I would say definitely not a C***s D**n as I think he had gone to Chinnooks by then.

GlosMikeP
11th Sep 2006, 13:19
Another look. Agree MB. Not sure about ChD though. Possibly. RH bookend was definitloey Air Eng, just can't remember his name.

PPRuNeUser0139
11th Sep 2006, 14:49
Is the guy on the right Ginge Hough (flt eng)..?
Heard he got his ATPL and is flying for Virgin.

thing
11th Sep 2006, 15:30
My old neighbour used to fly Shacks, his name is Bill Hey, don't know if any of you older Shak people knew him. Bill retired and went off to work at Mountbatten as some kind of rescue co-ordinator. He's still a keen golfer.

In fact I live in one of a little group of 4 houses and at one time there was an ex-Shack pilot, me as an ex techy, a retired Artillery WO1 and a retired naval Fleet Master all living next to each other. The perils of living in Lincoln.

GlosMikeP
11th Sep 2006, 16:23
Is the guy on the right Ginge Hough (flt eng)..?
Heard he got his ATPL and is flying for Virgin.

Well done! Yes I believe it is.

GlosMikeP
11th Sep 2006, 16:27
My old neighbour used to fly Shacks, his name is Bill Hey, don't know if any of you older Shak people knew him. Bill retired and went off to work at Mountbatten as some kind of rescue co-ordinator. He's still a keen golfer.

In fact I live in one of a little group of 4 houses and at one time there was an ex-Shack pilot, me as an ex techy, a retired Artillery WO1 and a retired naval Fleet Master all living next to each other. The perils of living in Lincoln.

I have a feeling we're perhaps the younger Shack guys, believe it or not. You'd be excused for thinking 'not' if you were to see us, though, all grey hair and polished tops.

I don't remember anyone by the name of Bill Hey, so it's possible, perhaps probable, he was a maritime guy - where most of current posters are ex AEW.

Florida2
11th Sep 2006, 16:57
Yep! The guy on the right is Ginge H. He joined BA as a Flight Engineer and retrained as a pilot. Must be a skipper by now. Steve Dixie joined Virgin as a FE and is now a Captain on the 747-400. In fact both Virgin and BA have a number of Ex RAF Air engs flying for them as skippers and First Officers!! :ok:

GlosMikeP
11th Sep 2006, 18:25
Yep! The guy on the right is Ginge H. He joined BA as a Flight Engineer and retrained as a pilot. Must be a skipper by now. Steve Dixie joined Virgin as a FE and is now a Captain on the 747-400. In fact both Virgin and BA have a number of Ex RAF Air engs flying for them as skippers and First Officers!! :ok:
What good news!

Kidderminster Kid
11th Sep 2006, 19:10
Is the guy on the left not G****m H****n, co-pilot who eventually went FC? I will drop an e-mail to MB or SP to get the answer from the horse's mouth. Will also get CD to look at the photo when I next see him.

Onetimer
12th Sep 2006, 11:20
I reckon the guy on the left could well be Flt Lt B***n J**f****n. A Captain (pilot) of about that vintage.

Why do you think they are all tarted up? RCDS? Musuem Delivery?

Onetimer

camlobe
12th Sep 2006, 12:01
Agree with 2nd left DB, 3rd left SP, 4th left MB, not too sure if 2nd right is CD, 1st right is GH.

1st left is Master Flt Eng ex-supertech who's name escapes me.

Will bug me for the rest of the day.

camlobe

GlosMikeP
12th Sep 2006, 12:04
I reckon the guy on the left could well be Flt Lt B***n J**f****n. A Captain (pilot) of about that vintage.

Why do you think they are all tarted up? RCDS? Musuem Delivery?

Onetimer

Yup, I think you may be right. Not sure what the event would be, though.

Kidderminster Kid
12th Sep 2006, 12:55
Have spoken to CD & looked in his log book. The aircraft was WL790. This was a display crew, away over the weekend 13-14 Aug 83. That weekends displays covered, Upper Heyford, Valley, Ipswich, Coventry, Isle of Man & East Kilbride. Only took 9hrs10 to do that lot! CD was unable to identify the chap on the left. Happy days!

Mactlsm1
18th Sep 2006, 05:54
Is the guy on the left in the photo not the Crew Chief (Grd Eng)? (No name badge/brevet) who used to accompany the beast on detachments. IIRC Min Shack crew for displays/PCT was 5, 2 x Pilot, 1 x Nav, 1 x Flt Eng & 1 x AEO/rear crew, whereas the regular AEW crew was 9.

If is is then I remember him, (Chris???) but cannot for the life of me remember his name...even though I did detachments with him. He even taught me to tow the Mighty Shack.

Mac

Pontius Navigator
18th Sep 2006, 07:46
Is the guy on the left in the photo not the Crew Chief (Grd Eng)? (No name badge/brevet) who used to accompany the beast on detachments. IIRC Min Shack crew for displays/PCT was 5, 2 x Pilot, 1 x Nav, 1 x Flt Eng & 1 x AEO/rear crew, whereas the regular AEW crew was 9.
If is is then I remember him, (Chris???) but cannot for the life of me remember his name...even though I did detachments with him. He even taught me to tow the Mighty Shack.
Mac

Did he roar? (C L). I thought of CC at first but the brown boots put me off.

Mactlsm1
19th Sep 2006, 05:37
Did he roar? (C L). I thought of CC at first but the brown boots put me off.

Yes, I think that it is the man you refer to. (spelled with a "Y"?) Yes, the brown boots were a bit of a clue, he always tried to be different.

Mac

Pontius Navigator
19th Sep 2006, 06:49
OK, we agree then, and more than one <g>.

I could not remember that much hair, under the nose yes, but not on top. Maybe that is a symptom of age. Most people I see now either have a number 1 or don't need one. Those who need a comb look decidedly foppish.

GlosMikeP
19th Sep 2006, 08:14
Those who need a comb look decidedly foppish.

No that's a comment reserved for those with dark hair, since they must be resorting the the Grecian 20000:p !

aewshackman
19th Sep 2006, 11:42
Folks, I'm joining the debate quite late but with good gen... Brian Je**e***n was around at the time but had an absolutely enormous handle bar moustache - you'd even recognise him in a dark alley. The chap on the left is (was) a pilot Gr***M Hi**i**D for sure. As to mistaking GH for the Byattolah the vintage is right and the picture not quite clear enough but the clue is the crew composition.

GlosMikeP
19th Sep 2006, 18:23
Might have to give in to GH solution. Last saw him at Neatishead after he transferred to FC.

Pontius Navigator
19th Sep 2006, 18:53
If GH that puts the date forward to about 1981-82 at GH was part of the pre-Nott establishemeny IIRC.

Worse, I flew with his father on Ansons.

aw ditor
20th Sep 2006, 16:45
A MK2 Shack still sits at Coventry and you can see it in Colour. All engines run, and the hydraulics electrics and pneumatics all work! Hasn't had the publicity of the Vulcan but visit and please put a penny in the poor man's hat. It might fly again after a re-spar.

Dunhovrin
22nd Sep 2006, 13:36
Speaking as the RAF's last ever Shackleton Captain (get down N**land)...

Is the Skipper Roger R***?

Am currently on a trip with an ex- 8 South pilot. Seems Wadders is still full of former Shack chaps banging on about the good old days at Lossie. Get me my gun.

GlosMikeP
22nd Sep 2006, 14:36
Not Roger R**d

Wensleydale
22nd Sep 2006, 16:32
As one of those in the photo... Names are all correct tho not sure of person in brown boots on the left. The 5 previously correctly named crew are 2 Pilots DB, MP), an Eng (GH), a Nav(SP) , and a back end(CD) - this is a minimum crew. If the 6th man is GH then why have 3 pilots? It don't make sense. It reminds me of one of our crew chiefs which would make more sense as we were at a civilian airfield not used to pouring in high octane petrol at the quantities we used! The suggestion of CL seems OK to me but I can't be sure. Please speak up when replying as I am shackleton deaf....

Kidderminster Kid
22nd Sep 2006, 20:42
Received an e-mail from MB (3rd from right) sunning himself on a slip in Mexico City. He remembers the crew as, Left to Right, Gr***m Hi**i**d (Co), D*** Bu****** (Capt), S***e P*****n (Nav), MB (Co) himself now with BA on 747-400s, C***s D**n (Bloke down the back) and "G****" H***h (Eng), who is now a 737 pilot with BA.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Sep 2006, 20:48
All we need to know now is is the KK M K****o?

Kidderminster Kid
23rd Sep 2006, 13:13
All we need to know now is is the KK M K****o?
'Fraid tis not me!

Shack37
23rd Sep 2006, 14:46
Would love to see that - my grandfather worked on Shackletons and I've had difficulty finding photos of them.

Weekillie
Try www.37aden.co.uk.
There's an album compiled by Dennis Lancaster. 22 Sigs based in Majunga in the good old days.
You may even spot your grandad somewhere.
Cheers
S37

Callsign Kilo
23rd Sep 2006, 15:50
Two former Shack Navs from Lossie currently reside at Glasgow College of Nautical Studies teaching ATPL groundschool. Plenty of stories relating to the AEW role duirng the 'Cold War' have been shared to their students! I should know!

Dunhovrin
27th Sep 2006, 17:59
[QUOTE=Callsign Kilo;2868362] Plenty of stories relating to the AEW role duirng the 'Cold War' have been shared to their students[!QUOTE]

Presumably in the canteen. And have they mentioned 0200 call-outs to get as far as Sumburgh before turning back too late. And not being allowed in the mess for breakfast?

Giveus th'initials at least...

Pontius Navigator
27th Sep 2006, 18:12
[QUOTE=Callsign Kilo;2868362] Plenty of stories relating to the AEW role duirng the 'Cold War' have been shared to their students[!QUOTE]
0200 call-outs to get as far as Sumburgh before turning back too late. And not being allowed in the mess for breakfast?

Breakfast? In the mess?

That'll be another beer in the bothy. No sense going home at O'dark hundred and waking Mrs PN.

SmugMug
30th Sep 2006, 02:05
This thread tells a very happy tale of 45+ reminicing about the good old Shack days.

I remember the briefing in the crew room when we were shown the coverage of an E3D on the East Coast and then we superimposed the Shack coverage.

Some career grabbing twit like Nick By**t tried to suggest that we were a credible alternative which increased the problems for aircraft trying to avoid detection! Dream on .......... that said N B is now a Wg Cdr so he must have fooled a few in his time.

Happy memories - from a founder member of the Griffin Club ... now theres another interesting topic......... for those who remember!

shack
30th Sep 2006, 07:57
I am afraid that you have to be my age ie. 75 plus to talk about the good old days, when the Old Gray Lady did the job she was designed for!!!

Pontius Navigator
30th Sep 2006, 08:26
Shack, curiously she did the wrong job for longer than her real job. That said, of course she flew far more hours as MPA than AEW.

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Sep 2006, 09:27
From Avcom re AAD at FAYP.

http://avcom.co.za/phpBB2/files/shack1_209.jpg

http://avcom.co.za/phpBB2/files/dsc_4811_937.jpg

http://avcom.co.za/phpBB2/files/dsc_4868_437.jpg

http://avcom.co.za/phpBB2/files/dsc_4888_151.jpg

PPRuNeUser0139
30th Sep 2006, 10:14
That picture above of matey in the nose brought it all back for me..
What was better on a long trip than to be sat up there in the sunshine with a coffee and a fag (having first made a round of drinks for the others) reading yesterday's paper (Scottish edition) nicked out of the Mess..
Nice thing about being up the nose was that it was probably the quietest seat in the house.
Must go for a lie down now.
sv

shack
30th Sep 2006, 11:19
My crew 1958 120Sqdn, Aldergrove with a shiny new Mk3.
I was the only one who could afford a posh hat!!
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h21/Blunebottle/B120-2.jpg

ImageGear
30th Sep 2006, 13:32
Long finals to 01 at FACT with a shack climbing out over Milnerton, Kucki and I rotored to near 90 degrees over the numbers :eek:, Kucki, quick as a flash, full power, bootful of right rudder, roll to level, re-establish and land long (Plenty of runway left but a serious brown trouser moment)

Thinks, how long do you need to get clear air behind a shack ?

Thanks Kucki. :ok:

Imagegear

denachtenmai
5th Oct 2006, 08:02
When I get round to it, and learn how to scan photos, I will post some of my pic's of the "Old Grey Lady". MR2C's from BK, and Honington. Incidentally,I was on the one when it was delivered to Atlantic at Coventry, did a lovely "runway inspection" at very low level. can still remember it vividly after 35 years!:ok:
Regards, Den.

allyn
5th Oct 2006, 10:51
Shackleton startup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQpLgI8bbUY

Shackleton flyby:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WX0EaD3f3E

GlosMikeP
5th Oct 2006, 13:29
I prefer the Shack start in the bar with soda syphons. Much quieter until the laughetr kicks in!

Gainesy
5th Oct 2006, 13:34
I think that second vid is speeded up a tad.

allyn
5th Oct 2006, 13:39
I think that second vid is speeded up a tad.

It's not a great clip because they zoomed in while it was flying by...Never having seen the shack fly I'll take your word for it.....;)

Gainesy
5th Oct 2006, 14:38
Its not so much the sight as the engine sound sounds a bit er... fast. Mebbe me lugs need tuning.

Rusty, is that Potty Potgieter in the front of 22?

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Oct 2006, 15:14
Oom Pottie it is, Mr Gainesy. Yers have a good eye and a long memory...:ok:

johnfairr
5th Oct 2006, 15:35
Rusty & Gainesy, I was idly flicking through the channel changer on Tuesday and came across the Wings channel showing the crash of Pelican 16. Rivetting stuff, and if I recall, that guy was the flight engineer on the crew. Couple of clips of him sitting by his panel talking through the crash. Amazing photos. When they were first discussing it I hadn't realised they'd come down in the desert, I missed the first part and thus was somewhat amazed to hear them say they all got together and recited the Lords Prayer. I had visions of a re-enactment of the band on the Titanic!

Having notched up 300 hours in the AEW2, I fully appreciate the intimacy of such a crew. They were carrying 19 guys apparently, what did they all do? We only carried 9, 2 pilots, 2 navs, eng, and 4 scopies

jf

Gainesy
5th Oct 2006, 15:56
Yers have a good eye and a long memory
Rusty, more like a bad head and a long hangover from the last encounter with them bu&&ers at Ysterplaat.:)
John, Pelican 16 was enroute to UK for an airshow (RIAT?) so had extra crew/groundcrew/PR hangers-on etc.
I heard a story that the bomb bay was half full of slabs of Castle which they couldn't get at after the forced landing, so decided they might just as well set off the ELT straight away:)

brakedwell
5th Oct 2006, 16:23
They often looked like this!
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/Tech%20Details/Shack2.jpg

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Oct 2006, 17:38
Cheers boet. Missed the show at FAYP. Pics courtesy of Avcom.:ok:

shack
6th Oct 2006, 08:23
brakedwell, check your PMs. please

brakedwell
6th Oct 2006, 08:43
Shack, have replied to your PM. I do have another photo taken at the time.

GlosMikeP
6th Oct 2006, 14:37
Come on then, ye really old and bold well over 50s, apart from 'Shackletons Don't Bother Me', what other songs are there in the old sod's operatic society's song book to complement our ageing mugshots?

One to start off with (someone please fill in the blanks/errors) I heard a few times from one Dave G^$$on, to the tune of Lilli Marlene after more beer than was good for any of us:

Rolling down the runway throttles open wide
Goes the mighty Shackleton, she sways from side to side.....
(lots of dah, dah, dah-ing here)
We are the air sea rescue, we come from down your way...

Shack37
8th Oct 2006, 11:40
Come on then, ye really old and bold well over 50s, apart from 'Shackletons Don't Bother Me', what other songs are there in the old sod's operatic society's song book to complement our ageing mugshots?

One to start off with (someone please fill in the blanks/errors) I heard a few times from one Dave G^$$on, to the tune of Lilli Marlene after more beer than was good for any of us:

Rolling down the runway throttles open wide
Goes the mighty Shackleton, she sways from side to side.....
(lots of dah, dah, dah-ing here)
We are the air sea rescue, we come from down your way...

206 Calypso (circa 1964)

We are the ground crew of two o six
The aircrew think that we are thick
We service the aircraft on the ground
After/pres and some turnrounds

Shift stays on till after five
While aircrew fly around the skies
At half past eight they are still there
When sir comes down on emergency air

Next day the aircraft goes into the hangar
Looks like the riggers have dropped a clanger
But after lots of sweat and toil
They find there is no hydraulic oil

Not so very long ago
Foxtrot was flying far too low
Without the aid of a riggers spanner
Two Squadron Leaders lost the scanner

There were many more verses but the original was lost on a return visit to St Mawgan years later.

Cheers
S37

Pipesmoker
9th Oct 2006, 10:32
Just to go back to the Photo……………
Fairly sure it must have been taken early1983 and was a final flight to a museum – or something like that. MB will know for sure.
That chap on the left – hmmmm – not so sure that it’s Gr*h*m H*ll**rd.
I remember G H being a little thinner, in fact quite athletic.
I think he was a few inches taller.
The chap in the photo also doesn’t look quite as handsome as far as I can recall.
I’m sure that he didn’t wear brown boots with green bag – they were for walking the dog!
There’s no ‘pipe’ bulge in the top pockets.
No, I’m absolutely certain it’s not me !!!!!!!!!!!
I do know who it is though, but I’ll give you a couple of days sleuthing before I post the answer.

Concur with GlosMikeP about Ginge H and Steve D – very good news indeed. I remember the two of them performing the ‘Old M’cDonald had a Farm’ routine in the Goat Pen (?) at Kef, and 2 of the females present literally wet themselves laughing!

Pontius Nav You flew with Dad on Ansons? :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!
Wait till I tell him that someone from his era CAN use a computer. I’ve tried and tried to teach him but have finally admitted defeat! Would love to know who you are – give us another clue that I can pass on to the old man. Or PM me if you wish - same goes for anyone else!!

Cheers!

flown-it
9th Oct 2006, 19:37
This thread has brought back memories.The year? 1971. The Venue? RAF Kinloss. The mission? teach the Crabs how to do AEW.
What a shock to be Goon suited at Oh dark thirty, spend hours in the dark briefing, stumble around the beast trying to find a way in, do 8 hours or so throwing fighters at each other and then stumble out onto mother earth only to find it was still dark! All accomplished in what was it called? 60 thousand rivets in close formation!! remember getting airborne on a yacht search only for the dear old APS 20 to go T.U. .... 11 or 12 hours on a visual search Oh My! But we did become past masters at a certain stew, the name of which escapes me!!

Old Hairy
9th Oct 2006, 20:42
Hi shack,
Well matey I reckon I meet your criteria :cool: 76 and a member of the fighting 206 Foot & Mouth,St Eval 1953 Shack MkI......Trouble is dementia is setting in :sad: :sad: cannot remember us doing much in the way of singing,too bl..dy tired walking all the way to the Sqn. round the peri track!! but Im sure I had a good time playing "chase the bitch" with old mates like Joe Seikerkowski and Ron Wilkes.Happy Days
Reguards

shack
10th Oct 2006, 09:24
Good Grief----somebody as old as me on Pprune!!! I note however that you joined a year after me, although my joining date 1947 was the year I started as a Brat at Halton. Aahh! St Eval, remember the mobile chippy that used to go around the patch so that when you were doing circuits and landed for a tyre check after 4 landings you could taxi round to get near the patch, toss a siggie out to get fish and chips and then pick him up after the next four and bog off out of the circuit to eat them in peace. Happy Days.

John Purdey
10th Oct 2006, 22:07
Allyn. ...and that flyby is supposed to be exciting????

Trout99uk
14th Oct 2006, 06:48
Nice to see i have jogged a few memories by posting the photo. I was at Coventry when the last 2 shacks were flown in from Lossie, if i remember one was flown in by Wg Co, C***S B***H ? Some where i have some photos so i will try to dig them out and post them. And yes it was a low flypast, just below the hangers if i remember. Super.

T99.

GlosMikeP
14th Oct 2006, 10:26
Nice to see i have jogged a few memories by posting the photo. I was at Coventry when the last 2 shacks were flown in from Lossie, if i remember one was flown in by Wg Co, C***S B***H ? Some where i have some photos so i will try to dig them out and post them. And yes it was a low flypast, just below the hangers if i remember. Super.

T99.
Seeing your pseudonym jogged my memory of an en mass detachment we did from Lossie to Conningsby in the early 80s, at the time when the Nimrod AEW's first trials were just getting underway.

As a spoof, Crew 3 got a signal issued from (I think) 11Gp, saying the Air Force Board had decided to name the Nimrod the AEW Trout.

The spoof took hold and we were all up in arms of incredulity; which then passed to philosophical reflection on why Trout was appropriate (there were some very interesting theories of complete rot that came out); before finally Crew 3 put us all out of our misery.

We then went to the bar for much beer in celebration, further to be entertained by a full Crew 3 moon through the window.

PPRuNeUser0139
14th Oct 2006, 12:08
[As a spoof, Crew 3 got a signal issued from (I think) 11Gp, saying the Air Force Board had decided to name the Nimrod the AEW Trout.]

I think the AEW "Flounder" would have been more appropriate..!

GlosMikeP
15th Oct 2006, 00:06
[As a spoof, Crew 3 got a signal issued from (I think) 11Gp, saying the Air Force Board had decided to name the Nimrod the AEW Trout.]

I think the AEW "Flounder" would have been more appropriate..!
That might well have been one of the theories. IIRC you were at Boscombe by then...perhaps more a curse than a wish!

Wensleydale
18th Oct 2006, 19:52
I remember many a debate as to a suitable name for the Nimrod AEW. One semi-serious name was "Janus" after the Roman God looking both forwards and back. This was quickly changed to the "Jason" because we'd been fleeced for lots of gold.

I believe that "White Elephant" was most appropriate, and indeed, one was stencil painted next to the door when we took the aircraft up to Kinloss for an open day (or was it at Lossie? Age plays funny tricks). GEC were not amused.

Excuse for a knees-up... 20th aniversary of selecting E-3 over Nimrod comes up in December. (18th?) Now that was a party at Waddington although I don't remember the end......
:D

GlosMikeP
18th Oct 2006, 20:09
It should have been a wake. £1bn spent for nothing, 70% on the airframe and 30% on the mission system; a ludicrously bad ASR; awful contractor; naive customer....and so on and so forth.

It really was the classic example of the RAF not saying what it wanted in a way that was clear, unambiguous and testable; which meant PE didn't know what to buy and GEC didn't know what to deliver.

And the deficiencies of the E-3 were addressed.... where....?

We learnt a lot from that episode.

allyn
18th Oct 2006, 23:25
Allyn. ...and that flyby is supposed to be exciting????

Got a better one you'd care to share?

Bushfiva
19th Oct 2006, 08:15
Some time in the late 70's a Shackleton nearly managed to blow me off my motorbike at Warton. I don't suppose anyone here would remember a Shack visit to Warton?

Mactlsm1
22nd Oct 2006, 00:31
Originally posted by Pipesmoker....

"Just to go back to the Photo……………
Fairly sure it must have been taken early1983 and was a final flight to a museum – or something like that. MB will know for sure.
That chap on the left – hmmmm – not so sure that it’s Gr*h*m H*ll**rd.
I remember G H being a little thinner, in fact quite athletic.
I think he was a few inches taller.
The chap in the photo also doesn’t look quite as handsome as far as I can recall.
I’m sure that he didn’t wear brown boots with green bag – they were for walking the dog!
There’s no ‘pipe’ bulge in the top pockets.
No, I’m absolutely certain it’s not me !!!!!!!!!!!
I do know who it is though, but I’ll give you a couple of days sleuthing before I post the answer."

It has been more than a couple of days, I am waiting with baited breath.......:confused:

Mac :ooh: